Status
Not open for further replies.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
There is a pattern in it. I found the pattern by reverse engineering many autoscans. Then I made an Excel sheet to help composing new codes.
It's not a big secret, that's how some of the smart people here also do the MK60EC1 (golf mk5/6 ABS) also do the coding for those modules.
It's just very important to work very precise (both in reverse-engineering and composing new codes) since the correct functioning of the ESP system depends on it.

(One of the reasons I'm very jealous of, i.e. Dana and drPeter from Ross Tech, is the vast amount of data they have available and they always come up with good codings.
I'm a jealous (-ly admiring) of both the skills they have and the vast treasure of data they have available, including VINs, codings and PR codes, the three most important ingredients to good codings).

I wrote a little bit about it here:
https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=74520

For example, this is the XLS sheet I used to look into the ABS8.2 coding (not ESP8.2i but ABS): click
You can see for example I split the data up into elements I think are important. Like engine type, RHD/LHD, VIN digits, brake size (derived from the engine).
Then it's a case of finding the pattern. Some are easy and obvious and sometimes the question mark remains.
Some of the things that I find difficult is the lack of some combinations (i.e. RHD + engines limited to Brazil, south africa, eastern Asia). No data means either a bad estimate or no estimate of some bytes. That's where things get dangerous or difficult.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
(One of the reasons I'm very jealous of, i.e. Dana and drPeter from Ross Tech, is the vast amount of data they have available and they always come up with good codings. I'm a jealous (-ly admiring) of both the skills they have and the vast treasure of data they have available, including VINs, codings and PR codes, the three most important ingredients to good codings).

Dana, Peter, Jef, Sebastian and Andy all are awesome in supporting our users. Yes, they have data which they have mined from many many autoscans and from other sources. Yes, they have fine tuned their skills. They are the best of the best! And this forum gets the value of their skill applied on a daily basis.

The truth Iichel is that all the dedicated users like yourself who come here to put in your time to help others is the reason VCDS is the leading product used to repair VAG cars. Oh that VAG would embrace this community and help us keep their cars performing as they are intended to perform.

I can dream - can't I?

Thank you for the kind words about our support team and the data they have collected. We value the work you do to support users here in this forum...

I'll get out of here and let all get back to the thread. I just could not let your comment pass without some Bear Kudos being given! (my nickname is dabear!)

anar288

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212110
There is a pattern in it. I found the pattern by reverse engineering many autoscans. Then I made an Excel sheet to help composing new codes.
It's not a big secret, that's how some of the smart people here also do the MK60EC1 (golf mk5/6 ABS) also do the coding for those modules.
It's just very important to work very precise (both in reverse-engineering and composing new codes) since the correct functioning of the ESP system depends on it.

(One of the reasons I'm very jealous of, i.e. Dana and drPeter from Ross Tech, is the vast amount of data they have available and they always come up with good codings.
I'm a jealous (-ly admiring) of both the skills they have and the vast treasure of data they have available, including VINs, codings and PR codes, the three most important ingredients to good codings).

For example, this is the XLS sheet I used to look into the ABS8.2 coding (not ESP8.2i but ABS): click
You can see for example I split the data up into elements I think are important. Like engine type, RHD/LHD, VIN digits, brake size (derived from the engine).
Then it's a case of finding the pattern. Some are easy and obvious and sometimes the question mark remains.
Some of the things that I find difficult is the lack of some combinations (i.e. RHD + engines limited to Brazil, south africa, eastern Asia). No data means either a bad estimate or no estimate of some bytes. That's where things get dangerous or difficult.

Incredible, many thanks for sharing your insights. I concur, it's this forum and people like you and Dana that complement and make VCDS a really useful tool.

anar288

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212110
By the way, even though I couldn't input the previous auto scan abs coding, I continued to full lock left, full lock right and centre before SA 40168 and 06# checks. All 06# inputs were accepted even without correct coding of abs. My previous auto scan abs coding could not be accepted after the above SA procedure on 40168. I also tried clearing all DTC's at this point.

At that point, I saw iichel's abs coding, the coding was accepted and abs, esp and traction control warning lights extinguished.

Furthermore, re-establishing power via the red/blue wire i.e. 10A fuse in the holder next to the car battery sorted my abs module communication issue. This also enabled the speedometer to work again. Only problem was the abs, esp and traction control warning lights... Due to incorrect abs coding. Thankfully, iichel sent me the correct abs coding due to his marvellous reverse engineering research of the abs coding.

I did not need to do the full lock left, full lock right and centre of steering wheel again after entering correct abs coding. Would this be advisable to do again at this stage or is it fine? Car is driving normally with no warnings.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
This is fine. The coding is accepted and the car also accepts the basic setting of the steering angle sender. So don't worry about it. If there is some implausible signal, the car will tell you.

Fredrick Awuor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=309834

wonderful iichel, I am one of your secret admirers,Im currently having a difficulty with a 2012 polo that lost ABS coding,would you kindly repost the link to the XLS file,looks like the link at uk-polos.net expired or was revoked,thanks again for going the extra mile brother

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
I will not re-post the XLS, I'm sorry. I had too much unwanted support requests for that. Let's do it the official way. You post the autoscan, I'll make the coding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back