Status
Not open for further replies.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
We wrote an entire chapter of our grandchildren's history books last night. It was about the first failure to peacefully transfer power in more than two centuries of our Constitutional republic. The first one where Confederate traitor flags were flown in our Capitol. The first one with a body count.

Yes, I agree! America (like every other country) has its problems, but for many of us foreign watchers, it has been a model of democratic ideals and most certainly it hasn't shown any signs of the creeping fragility of 3rd world countries where a member of the displaced political elite is so easily able to sway his supporters into violent confrontation!!

I really am surprised at this final (I hope) act - did Trump honestly believe that this desperate attempt to cling to power would succeed? Thankfully it appears to be an isolated instance (at least thus far) - but I agree, it really doesn't matter what actual benefits resulted from Trump's reign, "last night's" episode and the Donald's Nero-like fiddle playing while the Capitol Building figuratively burned will be his defining legacy in the history books.

Don
PS: I sense that you are a proud American - but have you considered emigrating? And are you aware that a condition of Australian citizenship is no longer that you must have a criminal conviction? :D
PPS: And what is it about "Confederates"- wasn't that particular dispute decided way back in the mid 19th century? Do present day Americans really want a return to a separate South and the reinstatement of slavery?

Last edited:

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
PPS: And what is it about "Confederates"- wasn't that particular dispute decided way back in the mid 19th century? Do present day Americans really want a return to a separate South and the reinstatement of slavery?

That one is a whole can of worms to unpack. Many Southern states have changed their own history books to tell a different story about the Civil War. They call the Civil War the "War of Northern Aggression." They also lay claim that the main point of their secession was for "state's rights" and to not be ruled by much of a federal government.

Of course that's a total whitewashing of the truth. There is irrefutable evidence in original Confederate documents that explicitly calls out the preservation of slavery as their biggest, most important objective and reason for seceding.
But many of the people who fly that Confederate battle flag will tell you it's about "heritage" and how the war was about "state's rights."

There have been many generations of misinformation passed on about that one in the South. It's ingrained in their culture.

At the same time, you meet many people in the South and they can be some of the nicest, most hospitable folks you'll ever meet. A case could be made that people who fly that flag and are outwardly aggressive are indeed a minority, as is the case on the other side with destructive protesters in certain cities. Sometimes is a good thing to take a step back and remember that no matter which side's extremists are in the news today, there are plenty of other normal, very kind people on both sides that are the real majority. They just don't go out making a spectacle of themselves.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Wait, what about the Dukes of Hazard remote control car I had as a toy as a kid or the car itself?

:rolleyes:

163390_143289708_Original.jpg

What would Uncle Jesse say?

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764

Trump's twitter account is back online. Condemns the invaders in the Capitol. Concedes defeat. Says he took every legal avenue to challenge the results, and overall he just "wanted better voter verification."

He stopped short of calling it fraud this time.

So ends a wild chapter in U.S. history. Should be interesting to see how this gets painted in history books years from now. Then again, not too many seem to care what those books say these days. If they don't like it, it must be a conspiracy by the party they don't like, right?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

A cockroach in the concrete, courthouse tan and beady eyes
A slouch with fallen arches, purging truths into great lies
A little man with a big eraser, changing history
Procedures that he's programmed to, all he hears and sees
Altering the facts and figures, events and every issue
Make a person disappear, and no one will ever miss you
Rewrites every story, every poem that ever was
Eliminates incompetence, and those who break the laws
Follow the instructions of the New Ways' Evil Book of Rules
Replacing rights with wrongs, the files and records in the schools
You say you've got the answers, well who asked you anyway?
Ever think maybe it was meant to be this way?
Don't try to fool us, we know the worst is yet to come
And I believe my kingdom will come
F is for fighting, R is for red
Ancestors' blood in battles they've shed
E, we elect them, E, we eject them
In the land of the free, and the home of the brave
D, for your dying, O, your overture
M, they will cover your grave with manure
This spells out freedom, it means nothing to me
As long as there's a PMRC
In the land of the free and the home of the brave
M is for money and you know what that cures
In the land of the free and the home of the brave
M, they will cover your grave with manure
Put your hand right up my shirt
Pull the strings that make me work
Jaws will part, words fall out
Like a fish with hook in mouth
Rewrites every story, every poem that ever was
Eliminates incompetence, and those who break the laws
Follow the instructions of the New Ways' Evil Book of Rules
Replacing rights with wrongs, the files and records in the schools
I'm not a fish
I'm a man
Hook in mouth

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
both sides are not the same.
Most of the time, there's very little difference. The candidate you think I should regret changed that for a short while.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404

Trump's twitter account is back online. Condemns the invaders in the Capitol. Concedes defeat. Says he took every legal avenue to challenge the results, and overall he just "wanted better voter verification."

He stopped short of calling it fraud this time.

So ends a wild chapter in U.S. history. Should be interesting to see how this gets painted in history books years from now. Then again, not too many seem to care what those books say these days. If they don't like it, it must be a conspiracy by the party they don't like, right?
Unbelievable!!! - a classic example of the adage -the man who smiles in a crisis always has someone else to blame.
Don

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
Unbelievable!!! - a classic example of the adage -the man who smiles in a crisis always has someone else to blame.
Don

Indeed. He literally stood at a rally down the street from the Capitol, literally urged his followers to march over there and when Pence merely was doing his constitutional duty, Trump publicly calls him out and that's when the crowd attempts to push through the barriers.

"Never give up, never concede"

"We will stop the steal"

Giuliani literally telling the crowd at the capitol that day to engage in "trial by combat."

Trump and the sycophants he's installed around him are absolutely culpable in inciting what happened Wednesday.

I had several Trump supporters try to tell me "But he condemned the violence!"

Yeah, after the fact... And after he encouraged it in the first place with his insane rhetoric. You can't let him off for condemning it after the fact when he's the one who riled them up to do it in the first place right down the street from the capitol. Unbelievable.

Rational discussion has completely flown out the window thanks to this assclown.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@dieseldub: Yes, I agree. Still, the history of Trump's presidency is replete with similar examples where he makes outrageous/dubious statements which are then contradicted - usually by claims that he was misunderstood (the now infamous "inject disinfectant as a cure for COVID" is a classic example).

The repeated use of this MO is disturbing on multiple levels, not the least of which is that it strongly suggests that Trump (himself) believes that the American voters (and the world at large) can't see-through the obvious subterfuge. Or worse, it may suggest that Trump believes that it doesn't matter; that honesty is not an important trait for someone like Trump, because he is so adored and/or because honesty is always trumped (pun intended) by spin! Ain't nothing wrong with Ego, but it has to be commensurate with ability (and reality)!!

Anyhow, not long now until 20th January - albeit I suspect that he will become an even more disturbed individual into the obscurity of post- inauguration

Don
PS: Let's hope that Trump doesn't have access to the "big red button" in the interim period!!

219800_image.jpg

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
LAUNCH CODES?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Jack@European_Parts : Jack - quote from your last link:-

• "In practice, Pollack says, it would probably be somewhat hard [for Trump" to start a nuclear Armageddon. Under most imaginable circumstances, senior Pentagon officials would be in the loop, authenticating the president's orders and advising him on what actions to take. If they feel the order is unlawful, they can refuse to carry out the launch.
Whilst this might be solace to those who are concerned about a disturbed man with access to the "big red button", when married with the news that Trump followers in the police may have been complicit in the Capitol Building riots - I'm not so sure.

But at least there's now a spot-light on the problem, and more importantly, there's recognition that the 45th President is a "sandwich-short-of-a-picnic"!

Don

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@Jack@European_Parts :

Jack, re your last video: Indeed - You are an evil man!! :) I agree with George Carlin - I've always wondered what an alien who landed next to golf-course would make of the sport? To me, it's a pastime that is best explained when spelt backwards!!

Don

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

How acrimonious, really rancorous...... :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back