VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

'If we learned anything from 2016, it’s that we cannot underestimate Donald Trump or his ability to claw his way back into contention in the final days of a campaign, '

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Know anyone that lives in Washington State? 'Cause this is kinda fun:

Even if you don't know anyone who lives in Washington State, William Gates' birthday is 10/28/55 ....

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Know anyone that lives in Washington State? 'Cause this is kinda fun:

Even if you don't know anyone who lives in Washington State, William Gates' birthday is 10/28/55 ....

-Uwe-
@Uwe: I tried the link and indeed I was able to enter as Billy Gates - you are a (slightly) evil man!!:D

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
you are a (slightly) evil man!!
I don't think it's evil to point out a government's incompetence. It's not difficult to find well-know people's birthdays. Many Wikipedia entries contain them right in the first paragraph. Examples: 1 2.

Now if I had a tin-foil hat handy, I'd wonder if the ability to get into that system so easily was a feature rather than a bug?

Oh, and while we're here... Someone near and dear to me who lives in Pennsylvania received a mail-in ballot yesterday. The address was correct. But the name wasn't. The name is likely the previous resident of the dwelling in question. Now the person near and dear to me has high enough moral standards that nothing unsavory (or illegal) will be done with this ballot, but I wouldn't assume this to be true of everyone.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
You would like to think most people wouldn't engage in a felony!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I don't think it's evil to point out a government's incompetence. It's not difficult to find well-know people's birthdays. Many Wikipedia entries contain them right in the first paragraph. Examples: 1 2.

Now if I had a tin-foil hat handy, I'd wonder if the ability to get into that system so easily was a feature rather than a bug?

Oh, and while we're here... Someone near and dear to me who lives in Pennsylvania received a mail-in ballot yesterday. The address was correct. But the name wasn't. The name is likely the previous resident of the dwelling in question. Now the person near and dear to me has high enough moral standards that nothing unsavory (or illegal) will be done with this ballot, but I wouldn't assume this to be true of everyone.

-Uwe-
@Uwe: Just for the record - of course I don't really believe that you even slightly evil (quite the opposite in fact)!!!

I'm not sure how much you know about Australia's democratic process but we have an "opt-out" voter registration system and accountability for the entire process (including the mechanics of stuff that happens on the election day) is controlled by our electoral commission.

We have similar problems as your friend on Pennsylvania. Yes, it's less than ideal and we would like to see no examples of these errors - but even for a population as small as Australia (25.5 Million), they happen!!

I guess that there is solace in the fact that even if the error is exploited by the citizen - the effect on the election outcome should be negligible assuming that the error isn't widespread and assuming that its random (and assuming that DEM & REPUB voters are roughly equally likely to "engage in a felony")

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
assuming that DEM & REPUB voters are roughly equally likely to "engage in a felony"
IMO, that would be a bad assumption.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
IMO, that would be a bad assumption.

-Uwe-
@Uwe: haha - I know that your reply above is said in complete jest.

But from my perspective as a foreigner with a passing interest in US politics (as I sit here in my study on the other side of the planet watching a mob of kangaroos graze in a distant paddock and listening to the kookaburras laugh) - this seems to be the single most distinguishing aspect of your culture - IMO.

Perhaps it's just the way that the media portrays American culture - but more so than in any other country, folk up there seem to think that the way that a citizen votes defines the rest of the individual. Which of course is complete nonsense- especially in a country that claims to have democratic elections!!

Now, I've actually met a few Americans that have admitted to voting DEM - but I've not met any that have admitted to vote REPUB. Nevertheless, and notwithstanding my view of the latter's mistaken political leanings, I've absolutely no doubt that they are equally as honest and equally as corrupt as each other !!:facepalm:

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've actually met a few Americans that have admitted to voting DEM - but I've not met any that have admitted to vote REPUB.
In the distant past, I consistently voted 3rd-party (Libertarian). Then for roughly the past 10-15 years, I pretty much gave up on the political process. But this year, I once again registered to vote, as a Republican. So although we haven't met in the flesh, I guess:

2qhJpYo.gif

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Rumble in approximately 5 minutes!
Who is going to get muzzleloader first egg or on face?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Super diahreah inflation coming, buy Gold, Trump lost election 9 months ago & still birth resulted today that should of been aborted?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Don, I have lost faith in the ability of our government to hold reliable independent elections where The People are assured that only one vote by one person is counted. I believe both parties would like to corrupt the mail in systems to have their way. I believe they are doing all they can to corrupt the system to gain their advantage. The Covid pandemic has given them the tool to pervert the elections and break the trust of the people completely.

Do not be surprised when after this election this country breaks down into civil unrest over this issue. You think the race issue is a big deal? I think this election will cause far greater harm. The divide is deep. The United States of America is dying... all that remains is for the shooting to begin.

Proper civil discourse is ended and will not soon be restored. The passions on both sides run high. There has only been one other time when the passions ran as they do today. It was the late 1850's. In 1860, the shooting began. Five years later, the Northern Federalists as they were called prevailed because they had industry. The Southern Confederates, who believed that the Constitution granted States the right to determine governance in the local communities, rejected the concept that a strong central government was the right solution for the people. Most think the issue was Slavery. Slavery was the trigger. Slavery was the point around which people could rally. The issue was never about slaves. The North was happy to accept the freed slaves and move them into ghettos where they could not be equal to the white northerners. One form of slavery was ended and a new form was created.

The point? When the rhetoric divides to the degree we are now divided, the form of government that is in place will end and be replaced after the shooting ends. Yes, I am expecting us to move closer to armed conflict over the next 4 years. I don't know what the trigger will be... but it is all but set up.

Despite a highly educated public, history is about to repeat (as it has almost since man appeared in this place we call the world). The only variable I see is the time until the first shots are fired. Maybe I am an old fool who has lost his grip on what is going on. Maybe the Covid has depressed me to the point of giving up all hope.

No, I don't think so. I am engaged in the election process listening to both sides, trying to make an informed, intelligent and educated decision. It is hard to get proper information from both.

I'll be 65 on Inauguration day. I expect my birthday to be a very difficult day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back