EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT GENERAL NEWS THREAD ANYTHING GOES!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
BUT, @ a replacement cost of an additional $8,750 (USD) for the Tungsten Carbide brakes over the standard option, I'm not sure that it's worth getting an extra 30% wear!!
Yes, the replacement cost does seem a tad excessive. But that is often the case with brand-new tech, and especially during the warranty period. It's an accounting game. Having very high prices on parts while they are still under warranty allows the manufacturer bigger write-downs for warranty claims.

In addition, it would not surprise me to see this tech filter down to more pedestrian cars in the future. Remember when Airbags and ABS were only available on ultra high-end cars?

I would love to have brake rotors that don't rust. Of course motorcycles have used stainless steel rotors "forever", but they're terrible in the rain; the initial "bite" when they're wet leaves much to be desired.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
:cry:

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764

The author there before becoming a Jalopnik author very recently would just do her own blog on what was a loosely associated site (still part of the 'Kinja' that Networks Jalopnik and its many sister sites together as well as the comments system) called "opposite lock" or "oppo" for short.

Some months ago, the owners and legal team of that network of blogs threatened to close the 'user blogs' and leave open only the 'front page' reporting from sites like Jalopnik, Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jezebel and even The Onion among others. So, with 'oppo' about to disappear, several of the regulars there got together and started a discord live chat channel to help coordinate the moving of content, maybe find a new site to setup a new similar blog and commentary system and keep it going.

Miss Mercedes was one of those regulars along with myself... though I'm really not that regular of a blogger, just have done the occasional write up here and there. She'd start talking about her first diesel Passat at the time and myself and bhtooefr (you'll recognize that name if you're on TDIClub at all) chimed in in the live chat. I've owned 3 of those BHW wagons myself, and I actually really, really like them (once you fix all their stupid failure points). And when it was having the boost control issues, I instructed her the best thing was to buy Ross-Tech VCDS and we could help guide her through some diagnostic procedures to at least narrow down the list of possible reasons for the underboost code. At least run a basic setting 11 while monitoring what the actuator is doing or measuring vacuum output from the N75 while it alternates between ON and OFF, yanno?

So anyway, that's my short story. And Uwe, you're welcome for at least 1 successful customer referral ;)

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
RIP Alex.

For some brevity, I watched some of SNL's "Celebrity Jeopardy" and happened across the one where the real Trebek made a cameo.

The man was always a class-act and was continuing filming Jeopardy until the last week, such was his commitment to the show and fans of it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
That's a big van. I wonder why they don't use/offer the 3.0L "Power Stroke" diesel they offer in the F150?

-Uwe-

Right? It's already federalized, shouldn't be that hard to fit it.

They were doing a 3.2 I5 diesel in those vans for awhile even here in the U.S.. I take it they stopped with those?

Back