Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneOF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295432
Hey guys , think Iv a noisy prop shaft bearing , does the shaft have to be replaced or is there crowds repairing them ?? 04 2.5 Touareg

Thanks

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi there,

Hey guys , think Iv a noisy prop shaft bearing , does the shaft have to be replaced or is there crowds repairing them ?? 04 2.5 Touareg

- If this was a real truck, like my TDi Land Rover :p - There would be a 'kit' for the center bearing but since this is a Volkswagen no such luck with the availability of 'kits' from VW, Land Rover owners know what I am talking about, there is a 'kit' to repair anything on those trucks.

So doing some research, it does look like the aftermarket world (Febi) sells one...

Just do an internet search for Touareg Propshaft Centre Bearing Febi

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Land Rover owners know what I am talking about, there is a 'kit' to repair anything on those trucks
"All parts falling off this vehicle are of the finest British workmanship!" ;)

-Uwe-

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
"All parts falling off this vehicle are of the finest British workmanship!" ;)

Bahahaha! How long does it need to rest, between outings?

Danners74

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=273244
Good old FEBI!!!!! Highly rate all the range. Good quality products where alot of stuff is genuine with the branding scrubbed off. Done a load of VAG stuff and the poorly made BMW's timing chain kits are actually genuine tensioners etc in there.

chillout1983

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=162783
British engineering owned by tetley tea

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
When I was directly in the trade we had a tool for replacing staked universal joints. I don't remember the name of the company that made ours.

ShaneOF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295432
thanks guys i got sorted, prop tech in charleville, cork IRL

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
Glad it's fixed, Shane. What did they do? Do you know if they cleaned & regreased the joints and put new rubber boots at fore and aft (which are integral parts of the NLA $1600 prop shaft assembly)?

Steve, if I understand correctly the u-joints are the ball/cage type like the CV joints, so nothing pressed in = even easier to fix; again precious little info since it's only available as an assembly; replacement parts new are unobtainium. Bentley cautions against flexing the shaft more than 8 (?) degrees or allowing it to compress or extend during shipping/installing.

I am replacing the prop shaft on my 2004 A8L due to physical damage (chasing deer through the yard; I know...) and there is not a lot of info out there (which, in a way, is good - means they seldom fail), so thought I'd chime in for future searchers.
I sourced one at car-part.com (junkyard search engine, essentially), which had a few listed (@ $250 to $350 to "call for price", plus estimated $100 freight) but not many; miraculously it was only 17 miles away! A friend who is an experienced VW tech works at a $tealer service dep't, said he'd never seen either the center bearing or either end fail except when damaged in a collision (including one between drive and concrete when some sloppy tech dropped the thing while removing for other work). Said leave the old grease unless it's contaminated w/dirt on the ends and the center bearing should be OK. I had considered taking it to a local driveshaft shop (there are surprisingly many in Nashville) and having it "gone through". So I'll get out the grease needle and purge out as much old grease as possible via the open ends (only open on the outer-facing flanges) and a laser level in lieu of VWAG Alignment Fixture 27b/6-49 to hopefully put it on straight (don't have a dial/runout gage nor the balls/ability/stupidity to safely turn all four wheels while I lay under the car if I understand the procedure correctly). My mechanic friend says it's not rocket surgery. And if there is a future problem, I have the luxury of having my OE 91K miles shaft I could attempt to repair, or have repaired.

Ciao,
Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back