Status
Not open for further replies.

mtl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=153305
Is it possible to permanently deactivate start/stop system on Sharan 7N MY2014?
Would maybe the solution for MQB platform work (tweaking start/stop settings on CAN gateway)?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Due to liability and other legal concerns, it's our policy not to provide instructions to do things that would make cars no longer meet the standards under which they were certified, and Start/Stop systems are an integral part of EU emissions certifications these days.

That doesn't mean we won't let people discuss it, but please don't expect us to provide the info.

-Uwe-

mtl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=153305
Thx for your answer. Just additional question: is electronics on this Sharan similar to Golf VI or not?

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
At the moment can only be DISABLE in MQB platform .

mtl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=153305
This should not be valid, since as far as I remember start/stop can be disabled also on Golf VI, etc.

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
PQ35 - yes, but with external module (I think Kufatec have one for sle)

MQB platform - no need external module

Angel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=98003

As additional info, I have disabled it in my car, an A4 B8, it's MLB platform. Not specially interested in disabling it, just to see that it's possible. :)

Regards

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
As additional info, I have disabled it in my car, an A4 B8, it's MLB platform. Not specially interested in disabling it, just to see that it's possible. :)

Regards

Angel: Did you modify the temperature settings in the two adaptation channels to disable Stop/Start, or have you used another process?

PS: Stop/Start scares the sh#t out of me! IMO its the most dangerous thing in the car (especially when completing a RH turn against oncomming traffic - we drive on the LHS of the road down here). But I know that there are contrary views and I have no problem with those who believe otherwise.

Angel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=98003
Hi DV52! No, I know trick you mention, time ago I took a look on those channels, but in my car are not documented, only channel four and it's about battery.

My process: I searched for "start/stop" in all modules, found 3, and unchecked them. One was into 01-engine (s/s installed), another into 05-acc/start (s/s active) and last one into 46-central (s/s active). I don't mention right byte and bit because your electronic is different, but maybe you can find those bits and try.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hi DV52! No, I know trick you mention, time ago I took a look on those channels, but in my car are not documented, only channel four and it's about battery.

My process: I searched for "start/stop" in all modules, found 3, and unchecked them. One was into 01-engine (s/s installed), another into 05-acc/start (s/s active) and last one into 46-central (s/s active). I don't mention right byte and bit because your electronic is different, but maybe you can find those bits and try.

Angel: Thank you for your response. The reason that I ask is because I have used the temperature-change method on my Golf. Mercifully, the tweak has been successful in supressing Stop/Start (it's called "bluemotion" down here - what a silly term), but it gives me an odd report in the "stop/start system status" screen - see the circled message in the screen below. The extra message does not appear to be problematic in any way, but it's worth knowing about alternative tweaks that achieve the same end. I'll investigate your "voltage method" further. Thanks again

pPq2IRG.jpg

Last edited:

mtl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=153305
Using ''voltage method'' on MQB platform will return the same message.
According to my knowledge this is standard message that start/stop system is not meeting requirements to run, so it is not activated (eg. it does not stop the engine). According to experience on few cars, there is no problem with this message.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Using ''voltage method'' on MQB platform will return the same message.
According to my knowledge this is standard message that start/stop system is not meeting requirements to run, so it is not activated (eg. it does not stop the engine). According to experience on few cars, there is no problem with this message.

mti: thank you for your advice - much appreciate. The "error message" is no big thing, but it's reassuring to get your feedback.

mtl

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=153305
Due to liability and other legal concerns, it's our policy not to provide instructions to do things that would make cars no longer meet the standards under which they were certified, and Start/Stop systems are an integral part of EU emissions certifications these days.
Are there any direct legal documents that would state this to be illegal or that could drive some sort of legal consequences?
Because BMW now officially allows their dealers to activate Last User Mode, which allows also start/stop to be deactivated constantly: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/l...to-reprogram-3-series-auto-startstop/#!bMbWS9
I expect that they would not be allowing this if there would be any kind of legal consequences or if this would even put some sort of danger on their official mpg results.

Moxnix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212386
Hi Uwe, as I have a 2017 A4 manual on order with this feature is it still the policy not to aid in deactivation in as much as Audi itself gives you the option via a button to deactivate it each time you start the car? Just planning ahead so to speak

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi Uwe, as I have a 2017 A4 manual on order with this feature is it still the policy not to aid in deactivation in as much as Audi itself gives you the option via a button to deactivate it each time you start the car? Just planning ahead so to speak
Permanent de-activation is rather different, from a regulatory standpoint, than a button that you must press each time. Given the current atmosphere surrounding what I refer to as "emissions cycle beating", I'm afraid that RT isn't going to post instructions on how to permanently make your car behave differently than when it was tested and certified.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

Moxnix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212386
Understood, it never hurts to ask right?

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Understood, it never hurts to ask right?
Moxnix: just out of interest - is the switch that deactivates/re-activates Start Stop on an A4 a single-pole, single-throw switch that simply earths a pin from the BCM?

Don

Reactions: Uwe

Moxnix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212386
Hi Don, still waiting on the car to arrive so I can't answer that with any authority yet. I test drove it of course and all I could ascertain from that was that it's a simple spring loaded button on the dash that you can depress once the car is started or anytime thereafter. I am getting a manual but I assume it may be the same on the automatic as well but again I am not certain. I have already promised Uwe an autoscan of it upon delivery so I will add your question to the list. I am about 2 months out from delivery. On the manual at least or at a minimum the one I test drove the start stop feature was quite noticeable and not something I am comfortable employing in tricky driving or heavy traffic.
Greg

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hi Don, still waiting on the car to arrive so I can't answer that with any authority yet. I test drove it of course and all I could ascertain from that was that it's a simple spring loaded button on the dash that you can depress once the car is started or anytime thereafter. I am getting a manual but I assume it may be the same on the automatic as well but again I am not certain. I have already promised Uwe an autoscan of it upon delivery so I will add your question to the list. I am about 2 months out from delivery. On the manual at least or at a minimum the one I test drove the start stop feature was quite noticeable and not something I am comfortable employing in tricky driving or heavy traffic.
Greg

Greg: Thank you for the reply. Sounds like you and I are of a single mind where SS is concerned! I'm contemplating starting a world-wide movement against this most dangerous of features - so I take every opportunity that I can to talk to like-minded folk on these forums (with Uwe's kind forbearance, of course).

I totally understand (and respect) Ross Tech's stance on the regulatory aspects of Start Stop, but like most things in this short life - the advantages of this feature come at a cost. This cost includes lots of technical matters (like increased battery and Starter motor wear etc.) which can and have been addressed at the car design stage. However, there are consequential and less definable costs as well from SS.

IMO, one of the more important and less-obvious consequences of SS is the risk management considerations to the car's occupants of switching off the engine in normal driving conditions. Completing a turn against on-coming traffic is a clear example of this (depends on what side the steering wheel is fitted as to whether this is a left, or right hand turn). Having the engine crank, start and then power-up only takes a few seconds, but it can be the difference between a near-miss and outright disaster. Sure, you can turn the steering wheel to the extent that SS won't engage, or you can apply only moderate pressure on the brake pedal to not engage SS (the "SS soft shoe shuffle"), or you could have remembered to turn-off SS when you started the journey. But, it's far better for the driver's attention to be fully devoted to the actual road conditions (I believe) than to be thinking about how to defeat this feature - whilst mentally juggling other more immediate considerations.

Clearly, in allowing SS to function as it does, Regulators have deemed these risk management matters to be acceptable - but I suspect that even Regulators agree that these decisions are rightly to be made by the driver. I assume that's the reason why these cars have a SS off button.

So- this is all a long winded way of suggesting that you install a Automatic SS Kill switch. It's a very easy device to build and install and it's also inexpensive - and the device is entirely compatible with Ross-Tech's stance on regulatory matters because it makes SS default to off-state on each ignition cycle and the driver can then choose to turn-on SS if desired.

Don

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Don't misunderstand me. I think Start/Stop blows chunks. In other words, I despise it. I've driven two cars in Europe that had it and pressing the button to disable it became part of my start-up routine. If I owned a car here that had it, you can bet your last bottle of beer that I'd find a way to disable it, and I don't fault anyone who wishes to do that.

However, that doesn't mean I'm willing to post instructions on how to do it with VCDS, because I do not wish to attract the attention of any lawyers, be they ones working for VW or the EPA.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back