Start/stop permanent deactivation VW Sharan 7N

Moxnix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212386
Hi Don, don't get me wrong. I have driven a few cars in Europe, mostly 3 series BMW's that had this feature in them early on. To be honest the cars I drove there were quite good with it and it wasn't an issue. The 2017 A4 I test drove and have on order was another story . The gap in response is very noticeable and possibly in an automatic not much of an issue but with a manual transmission even the sales guy said yeah we "should turn that off" after my first traffic light. In plain english it sucked. My son has a GTI overseas and he goes through the same nonsense. Turns it off every time he starts the car. He says you get used to it which I am sure is true but then again I have the cable so I am almost certain that "off could be the default. Hitting the button each time I drive the car is not going to change my life but I would be interested to see what you have to say about a what you call a "kill" switch, but I understand Uwe's point as well. He's definitely has more at stake than we do. For us it's just a convenience.
Greg

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
............but I would be interested to see what you have to say about a what you call a "kill" switch, but I understand Uwe's point as well. He's definitely has more at stake than we do. For us it's just a convenience.
Greg
Greg: Yes, Uwe does have more at stake because his is a corporate philosophy, but as I read these posts, it seems that the three of us are in heated agreement! As I said, my Automatic SS kill switch is entirely compatible with Ross-Tech's stance in that it doesn't permanently disable the facility.

What happens is that my device mimic's the driver's action in pressing the native SS button in the car (I'm not sure where this button is situated on an A4 Audi- but on my mk7 Golf it's on the centre console). I designed the device to wait for 5 seconds after ignition switch-on (to allow for the control modules to settle) - after this time, the device automatically operates the contact of a miniature relay which is connected directly across the SS switch terminals: a 2 second pulse is generated which is electrically identical to the driver pressing the SS disable button (the time period is not important-it's the negative going edge of the short-to-earth that is needed to disable the SS function). The other reason for using a electromechanical relay (rather than a semiconductor switch) is that the device is completely isolated from the car's native wiring - so minimal interference with the car's electronics (and because I had zero understanding of the source/sink capabilities of the BCM pin).

So the automated sequence on an ignition cycle is: key turn-ignition on-engine on-wait 5 seconds-send SS kill pulse- Start Stop turned off. The SS interactions all happen automatically. But importantly for Ross-Tech's stance on Regulatory matters, SS is not permanently disabled - it can be re-engaged later in journey if desired by pressing the native SS button (but why would you want to do this?).

Don

Reactions: Uwe

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
I hate inappropriate start/stops and have set mine (Audi S4) so that it 'remembers' the last state it was in, i.e. it will be on if previously left on and off if previously left off and I prefer this as it actually can be useful to save fuel in heavy city driving etc.

This is my first car with it and what made me realise I needed to change it was a 'T' junction a couple of miles from my home that I negotiate almost daily; I approach from a minor road and have to stop and wait for a gap in traffic, sometimes I can go immediately but due to the road layout I usually need to stop anyway and the last thing I want is the engine switching off just as I need to go (often briskly) to get into the traffic flow.

I don't know if you can code/adapt a Sharan to have the 'status memory', like the S4? but for me that is the best way.

My Wife's car (Nissan Qashqai) also has it and I have not found a away to disable that (actually I did, there is a switch on the engine bay that if bypassed stops it working but it then activates the alarm when you lock the car) but being a manual you have more control over when the start/stop activates as you need to be both in neutral and remove your foot from the clutch.

I can, of course switch it off with the dashboard switch but it defaults to on after every startup as per normal. I am still looking for a way to enable a 'memory' as per my S4 but not overly bothered as I don't drive it that much and my Wife doesn't notice it anyway because she always rides the clutch at red lights/long stops. :facepalm:

Plus it does 60 mpg (Imperial gallon) so the savings are minimal anyway...

Moxnix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=212386
Don, totally understand what you are saying and looked into the device as you describe on the link and I am duly impressed. The center console location in the GTI is one thing but the Audi has it located in the dash which seems to me to be considerable more labor intensive? I like Dukedesmo's approach to be honest because it obviously involves the software I already have. I do see where your device would be welcomed though and I also agree that we all dislike this start/stop function.