Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Grumpy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=449138
Is the cold stalling problem still persistent?
Yes it is, I’ve turned it over it sometimes fires up sometimes doesn’t.. when it does it’s idles rough an stalls
If I disconnect the fuel temperature sensor it will run rough without stalling. Strange

Mr Grumpy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=449138
A new one, not had chance to look at it been work all weekend

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Any smoke from the exhaust, blue black or white?

Mr Grumpy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=449138
Just pulled the fuel filter an smell petrol looks like we’ve found what the lady has done! Will update once I drain everything out and hopefully no damage done.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
Check the fuel tank for metal particles. You can shine a torch through the hole from the removed lpfp, behind the right rear seat.

Mr Grumpy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=449138
Managed to get the contaminated fuel out under the rear seat, cracked injectors and got rid as much as I could out the lines with fresh diesel being put through. No sign of metal yet..
I cant understand how it was missed when fuel filter got changed you can smell petrol straight away when disconnecting hose!
Lesson here, check the basics even though another mechanic has already!
Anyway many thanks to you iichel if you want that beer shoot me over an email address. Cheers

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
BTW once I spent some "long evenings" on 1,9 TDI PD because of approx 10l gasoline mixed with half tank of diesel... It can't be detected by smell. Strange behavior started only with hot engine (gasoline started to evaporate and produce vapor bubbles in hot channel inside cylinder head). Finally discovered it by replacing supply and return lines to/from tandem pump with transparent ones and observing what is going on :cool:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
BTW once I spent some "long evenings" on 1,9 TDI PD because of approx 10l gasoline mixed with half tank of diesel...
I suppose it is not as big a problem in a PD as in a CR....?

-Uwe-

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
I suppose it is not as big a problem in a PD as in a CR....?
Theoretically there could be much more possible damages and related expenses in a CR if trying to run one with gasoline :facepalm:
I have some experience with miss-fueled VAG and other engines. Although in Factory Repair Manual for CR engines is told that complete fuel system (high and low pressure parts) must be replaced, if engine is started after miss-fueling, in real life only rare cases ends with replacement of expensive parts stright after miss-fueling. Mainly engine just shuts off and can't be started anymore - gasoline does not ignite from compression or vice versa diesel does not ignite from spark.
But it depends a lot of ratio between correct and incorrect fuel and distance driven with that mix.
I have at least two cases with miss-fueled gas engines where no big expenses at first repair after miss-fueling (just spark plugs, fuel filter and labour), but some 10000-15000 km later catalytic converters went out of order...
Can't present similar examples with miss-fueled CR diesel engines because CR pumps and CR injectors quite often use to die by themselves and it's impossible to say was it a consequences of miss-fueling some 10000 km ago or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back