Interface upgrade needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H
I tried to do a deep scan on a 2013 Audi TTS as per the Humblemechanic but when I select hex output it says an interface
Upgrade is required. I have a genuine Ross tech Hex Can USB interface
From about 2013. Do I really need a new cable or am I misreading.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Do I really need a new cable or am I misreading
I don't believe you require a new cable ; Its been a while since I've had my Hex-Can cable; plug it into your laptop and do a update (see home page), if that window pops up for a ( firmware?)update, go to VCIconfig and check there for updates also. I'm sure others will add details.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I don't believe you require a new cable ; Its been a while since I've had my Hex-Can cable; plug it into your laptop and do a update (see home page), if that window pops up for a ( firmware?)update, go to VCIconfig and check there for updates also. I'm sure others will add details.
hmmm.........using VCIconfig with HEX+CAN diagnostic cable - interesting?

I had thought that the two were mutually exclusive (i.e. VCIconfig ONLY worked on the newer HEX series devices) - but I too no longer have my old cable to check!

it says an interface Upgrade is required.

Geoff:No offense intended - but are you sure it says "Upgrade" and not "Update"?

General checks: Maybe check LED colors (IIRC needs to be red initially, then turn green for proper operation). If LED OK - perhaps check that MS Windows correctly recognizes the cable (check MS Device Manager -does it appear as a USB device when plugged into laptop)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
when I select hex output it says an interface
Upgrade is required.
Please post a screen-shot showing what you mean.

I had thought that the two were mutually exclusive (i.e. VCIconfig ONLY worked on the newer HEX series devices) - but I too no longer have my old cable to check!
That is correct. VCIConfig is only for current (HEX-V2 and HEX-NET) interfaces.

However, a HEX+CAN interface should be fine for a 2013 Audi TT.

-Uwe-

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Binary/raw hex backup and restore does require a current gen interface.

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H
I guess that’s what I need to know. Will the enthusiast 249$ one
Work for a 2013 Audi? The Hex Can cable is the one I bought from
RossTech with the Car in 2013. So now I need Hex Net

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H
hmmm.........using VCIconfig with HEX+CAN diagnostic cable - interesting?

Geoff:No offense intended - but are you sure it says "Upgrade" and not "Update"?

General checks: Maybe check LED colors (IIRC needs to be red initially, then turn green for proper operation). If LED OK - perhaps check that MS Windows correctly recognizes the cable (check MS Device Manager -does it appear as a USB device when plugged into laptop)?

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H

definitely upgrade. cant seem to post image. Normally a Mac user.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Wgzxf9P.png

correction, choose "copy image address" you may need to do it a few times , if you get a image address that is a very long and multi line string, that is not it ; just try again and look for the png ending.

HERE is the Ross-Tech link specifically for this purpose. !

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H
Not necessarily a HEX-NET. A HEX-V2 will also work.

-Uwe-

-
Images have to be saved to an image hosting website and the link posted here, they can't be uploaded directly.
Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

Screenshot 2021-08-23 014654.jpg

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Let me say this: IMO The "Hex Output" function is not a very compelling reason to do an interface upgrade if your only use is on a 2013 car. Use CSV output instead. You'll still have a all the channel contents for posterity.

-Uwe-

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H

-Uwe-

-Uwe-
Let me say this: IMO The "Hex Output" function is not a very compelling reason to do an interface upgrade if your only use is on a 2013 car. Use CSV output instead. You'll still have a all the channel contents for posterity.

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-
[/Q
UOTE]

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

I tried to do a deep scan on a 2013 Audi TTS as per the Humblemechanic but when I select hex output it says an interface
Upgrade is required. I have a genuine Ross tech Hex Can USB interface
From about 2013. Do I really need a new cable or am I misreading.

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

-Uwe-

5Ehp5Hk.png

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H

-Uwe-
5Ehp5Hk.png

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H
Charles , the HumbleMechanic on YouTube says to do a deep scan with hex output so that I have all the settings to easily restore if something needs to be replaced. Can I still decipher these hex numbers from the csv file where presumably everything is comma delineated.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Here is what would be most appreciated on this forum:

1) a complete and unedited Auto-scan ("deep scan") : HERE and also HERE

2) Channel maps (check it out HERE ) and HERE

This is a mutually beneficial effort! Should anything happen to your laptop , or where ever you have the above data stored ; it will also be accessible here at Ross-Tech. The "bank" !

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Charles , the HumbleMechanic on YouTube says to do a deep scan with hex output so that I have all the settings to easily restore if something needs to be replaced.

@geoffdawe : I commend your admiration of the HumbleMechanic and I share your view of the quality and wisdom of his many fine videos - but, with due respect to Charles, the information is really only a guide rather than a strict instruction!

I haven't seen the actual video that you mention in your post above, but it makes sense that if you have a VCDS device that CAN make .HEX files (i.e. "hex output" files) - it's better to use these files rather than the plain, ordinary .CSV alternative (which is called an Admap for the base module database). This is because both .HEX and .CSV files contain the same readable data - but .HEX files also can be used to restore the module database back to the status when the file was made. So there's an added advantage when choosing the .HEX format -in market-trading speak, it's called getting a "free option")!

BUT, the advantage above necessarily assumes that the user has a VCDS device that can make .HEX files. If the user does not have this (newer) device - the "free option" doesn't apply. Instead, if the user does not have the newer cable, the cost of the "option" is the upgrade price of the new VCDS device and the advantage of the restore function must be compared against this added cost to the user.

Now, of course the value of the restore function is an individual thing for each separate user - but IMO, it's really not worth the price to be paid because the manual process for restoring the module database is generally easy (albeit it might be lengthy depending on how many changes have been made) - and ALL of the information to do this is contained in the .CSV files.

However, if you want to upgrade to the newer HEX-series devices for other reasons which have a higher "value proposition" - then I applaud your decision (you won't regret it!)

Can I still decipher these hex numbers from the csv file where presumably everything is comma delineated.

Answer is a resounding YES!!

Here is an extract from a single line of a .CSV format Admap.
  • IDE02269-ENG116670-Acknowledgement signals-Akustische Rueckmeldung Signalhorn,not active ,10
Assuming your car has the newer type USD modules, the general format of the extract above is like this:
  • Adaptation channel name,value,Byte-length
Notice how the information in the data is separated by the commas.

I have used MS Notepad to post the single-line extract of an Admap above- but the same data can be displayed in a more readable format if opened in a higher order application like MS Excel (it's called "parsing"). If MS Excel is used, the individual fields in the data are automatically put into separate columns - like this (much easier to read IMO):

IDE02269-ENG116670-Acknowledgement signals-Akustische Rueckmeldung Signalhornnot active
10​

The manual process for restoring changes (to "decipher these hex numbers") is eloquently described by @Jef HERE

Don

Last edited:

geoffdawe

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HUC-2H
I haven't seen the actual video that you mention in your post above, but it makes sense that if you have a VCDS device that CAN make .HEX files (i;e. "hex output" files) - it's better to use these files rather than the plain. ordinary .CSV files. This is because both .HEX and .CSV files contain the same readable data - but .HEX files also can be used to restore the module database back to the status when the file was made. So there's an added advantage when choosing the .HEX format -in market-trading speak, it's called getting a "free option")!

BUT, the advantage above necessarily assumes that the user has a VCDS device that can make .HEX files. If the user does not have this (newer) device - the "free option" doesn't apply. Instead, if the user does not have the newer cable, the cost of the "option" is the upgrade price of the new VCDS device and the advantage of the restore function must be compared against this cost.

Now, of course the value of the restore function is an individual thing - but IMO, it's really not worth the price to be paid because the manual process for restoring the module database is generally easy and the ALL of the information to do this is contained in the .CSV files.

However, if you want to upgrade to the newer HEX-series devices for other reasons - then I applaud your decision (you won't regret it!)

Answer is a resounding YES!!

Here is an extract from a single line of a .CSV file - otherwise called an "Admap" on this forum.
IDE02269-ENG116670-Acknowledgement signals-Akustische Rueckmeldung Signalhorn,not active ,10​

Assuming your car has the newer type USD modules, the general format of the extract above is like this:
Adaptation channel name,value,Byte-length​
Notice how the information in the data is separated by the commas
The manual process for restoring changes that the user has made is eloquently described by @Jef HERE

Don
Thanks for such a thorough answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back