Status
Not open for further replies.

Mk2TDi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6329
My boss Bought me a replacement hex-V2 Cable to replace the one he left in a customers car by accident and we never recovered it. I am now having a problem with it I cannot use it to scan anything as it seems to be locked and says it needs to have its firmware updated. But when I go to the “VCDS interface config” it never shows an “interface” to select up in the drop down menu in left Upper corner and therefore does not allow me to update or register or anything. I am wondering if he bought me a colone, he says he bought it right from Ross tech website but he’s a cheap sob and I’m sure he didn’t. It looks like my original so who knows It could be a good looking clone but maybe i can get some help with this situation And hopefully it’s legitimate otherwise The boss and I are going to have to talk lol thanks.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Might be an idea to post a photo of the 'HEX-V2' showing the serial number label?

Mk2TDi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6329
I did enter the serial number in my registration process to become a verified member, wouldn’t they check it then? I left the cable home because I was trying to use a computer there and see if I got a different result. So far 4 different computers and the same result on all 4. VCDS Doesn’t even recognize the interface when I try to update it but when I hit the “test” button under options it shows it and all of the information is populated If I remember correctly H11-002336 was my serial number

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
To confirm what I think to be the problem, a photo of the unit would be helpful.

Mk2TDi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6329
Well that’ll have to wait to another day, like I said in a previous post I left the interface at home, I was trying it on my desktop computer to see if I could update. Got a bit frustrated with the whole situation and went to sleep as I Still the same problem on that computer.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
It looks like my original so who knows It could be a good looking clone but maybe i can get some help with this situation And hopefully it’s legitimate otherwise The boss and I are going to have to talk lol thanks.
You could also ask your boss for a receipt Or where did he purchase it. But ultimately you will need show / post a photo or documentation.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I did enter the serial number in my registration process to become a verified member, wouldn’t they check it then?
You're Verified because you have a previously registered old HEX-COM interface.

If I remember correctly H11-002336 was my serial number
That's a known fake/clone. :(

-Uwe-

Mk2TDi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6329
You're Verified because you have a previously registered old HEX-COM interface.

That's a known fake/clone. :(

-Uwe-
Well looks like I will be talking to the boss this afternoon when I get back to work. I was able to go home and grab a picture of my cable but not sure how to upload it from my phone to the forum here it looks like I need a picture hosting service and then have to link the URL.

Mk2TDi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6329
Stupid question but is there a area on the forum here to look up known clone Serial numbers? I mean obviously you buy directly from Ross tech and there’s not a problem but my boss is having a Big problem with me demanding a “ Authentic“ cable. I want him to see for himself if he punches in the serial number that it shows it’s a counterfeit. Thanks

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
So your boss considers our word to be what - invalid? We're just trying to sell you on a higher priced tool? I doubt we can help your situation. Your boss will reject anything we post.

It's a clone. We know it to be clone made in China. We fight these battles every single day. If that word coming from the owner of Ross-Tech (Uwe) and from the Director of stuff Uwe does not want to do (me), is not good enough for your boss, then there is not much we can do to help your situation.

No, we do not nor will we list the serial numbers of the clones. If we did, the cloners would be sure to change things. Right?

Sorry @Mk2TDi, we would love to have you back as one of our users.

Mk2TDi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6329
So your boss considers our word to be what - invalid? We're just trying to sell you on a higher priced tool? I doubt we can help your situation. Your boss will reject anything we post.

It's a clone. We know it to be clone made in China. We fight these battles every single day. If that word coming from the owner of Ross-Tech (Uwe) and from the Director of stuff Uwe does not want to do (me), is not good enough for your boss, then there is not much we can do to help your situation.

No, we do not nor will we list the serial numbers of the clones. If we did, the cloners would be sure to change things. Right?

Sorry @Mk2TDi, we would love to have you back as one of our users.
i hear ya, i understand where you guys are coming from... this isn't the first time things like this have happened at my shop with boss loosing tools he borrows and then replacing with some generic crap.. and with covid, work has been sparse so i get my boss trying to be frugal, but if he isn't willing to do the right thing, im just gonna have to give my 2 weeks and take my loyal customers back and go back on my own... thanks anyway for all your help.

Mk2TDi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6329
Sorry you got stung. Not helpful now but the rough extrusion is a give-away that this is not a standard product.
Also in all honesty I’ve used some genuine cables that the plastic extrusion looked worse than this one. That’s why it didn’t even ring a bell that it was A fake.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Paperwork will confirm. The unit was bought either on ebay or Amazon - I'd put money on it. Our resellers are not permitted to sell in these channels owing to the difficulty of the clone sales. Also, the price will not have been our retail price. It will be much less.

The finish is different than our finish. There are other tell tale factors which we will not disclose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back