Vehicle Diagnostic Protection SFD

Hawkeye9723

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=389466
Again, they cannot actually keep track of changes that way. You can use one product to do the unlock, and then a different one to make changes. See post #207 in this thread.

To put this another way: Once the door is open, they have no means to know who goes through it during the time it is open.

-Uwe-
So, the module doesn't lock immediately once the cable is removed form the diagnostics port? I find that very interesting from a security standpoint. I figured that VW was only allowing this for their device because that company does keep track of what you changed. If that's he case then what's to stop someone from buying one of those devices just to unlock a module then plug in their VCDS cable and make all the changes they want?

autocomsoft

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56999
So, the module doesn't lock immediately once the cable is removed form the diagnostics port?

Not immediately but after some time yes. For example Octavia IV locked itselves after approx 90. minutes.

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
I thought SFD tokens expire after 90 minutes no matter what.
These guys are selling them and their web page states:
When using Guided Fault Finding SFD-protected control units are automatically locked at the end of the diagnostic session. Otherwise they are also automatically locked again 90 minutes after activation.
They claim to be a "registered authorized VAG dealer workshop."

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So, the module doesn't lock immediately once the cable is removed form the diagnostics port?
Correct, it does not.

Yes, the door automatically closes 90 minutes after it has been opened.

When using Guided Fault Finding SFD-protected control units are automatically locked at the end of the diagnostic session.
That's because GFF issues an explicit "re-lock" command.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
If that's he case then what's to stop someone from buying one of those devices just to unlock a module then plug in their VCDS cable and make all the changes they want?
@Hawkeye9723: Interesting suggestion - but what's actually achieved by the swap? Without wanting to get into the unanswerable question as to which diagnostic device is the better (it's really a personal thing), both can make the same changes.

If a user of the other device wants anonymity -they simply need to register a google account under an alias with the other device. As I have said - the base assumption in the SFD solution (as I read the website) seems to be that the registration details are for a real person - which of course is wishful thinking in the cyber world!!

Don

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
These guys are selling them and their web page states:

They claim to be a "registered authorized VAG dealer workshop."
Quintus:hi. Simply because a claim is made on a website - does not make it true"

The trust score of vagupdate.com is very low from Scamadvisor

Don

PS: if my high-school Latin is correct (yes I was educated by Catholics) Quitus Rotam=5th wheel?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Simply because a claim is made on a website - does not make it true"
The address claimed on their website does correspond to a US VW dealer, but I agree, but that doesn't explain the services they offer. E.g. US dealers have no access to Seat or Skoda data. In addition, I think we've mentioned this before: We tried to buy an unlock token from them and never got it.

Anyway, I concur with the low trust score.

And for laughs, check out our trust score. :cool:

-Uwe-

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
Something I have been trying to find out is what the acronym SFD stands for, presumably it is in German? Sicherheit........

RGH0

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=433612
Crasher - just point your cursor at SFD where it is in green and underlined in your own post and it shows what it stands for :)

OwnerTR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=493252
Will there be a study for SFD? If it won't be done, I'll sell my cable and get OBDeleven. Because I need to code on my vehicle.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Will there be a study for SFD? If it won't be done, I'll sell my cable and get OBDeleven. Because I need to code on my vehicle.
Even on vehicles with SFD not all modules are protected by SFD so coding of those modules is still possible without an SFD token.

Are you aware that if you use another app/website to obtain an SFD token, VCDS can use that SFD token to allow coding of modules protected by SFD - so there is no need to sell VCDS as you just need to obtain the token using another app/website?

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
I would suggest you don't as OBDII is nowhere near as capable as VCDS.

@RGH0 Schutz der FahrzeugDiagnose, protection of vehicle diagnostics, every day is a school day. Anyone know what SDC means in the search system on ETKA, I think it stands for Service Diagnose Code but not sure and the other one PR as in PR code. From my hidden obsession with old Chevys I have seen the RP codes which means Regular Production so could PR stand for Produktionreguläre?

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
@OwnerTR: of course your question is really one for Ross-Tech to answer - but maybe the timing of a response might not be optimal (just now) and/or perhaps there might be certain "commercial sensitivities" at the current time that may preclude a formal reply?

But, one of the advantages of us both being a non-RT forum members is that we can speculate without the interference of these corporate restrictions!! ;)

So, with absolutely NO official information and based purely on logic (and completely without RT sanction) -here's the thing: currently there is no real VCDS solution to SFD for those of us in the enthusiast market. This admission is not (so much) intended as a criticism- it's meant as a statement of fact. Yes, if tokens can be acquired, VCDS can be used - but access to tokens by the great unwashed VCDS masses is ..... well problematic at best and it's almost certainly an expensive exercise!!

Until the recent SFD solution was announced - this wasn't a "competitive" issue amongst third party diagnostic cable manufacturers because they were all in the same boat.

Now, without wanting to get into a debate about the relative merits of the "other cable" versus VCDS, suggestions like those in the posts above (i.e. using the "other cable" to unlock SFD modules and VCDS to make actual changes) highlights the dilemma faced by non-professional VCDS users! And in truth, the suggestion that in future VCDS users will need to own 2 x diagnostic cables for SFD cars isn't a workable solution for Ross-Tech in the competitive market.

So, bottom line and completely IMO, what are the chances that Ross-Tech is pursuing a similar facility with Volkswagen-AG to the solution announced by the "other cable"?

I never gamble without the certainty of winning - but I will take this bet (and I will give you odds against the wager)!! :thumbs:

IMHO, It's not a question of whether VCDS will provide a SFD solution for enthusiast users - the only question is when?

Don

Last edited:

Quintus Rotam

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=490177
Quintus:hi. Simply because a claim is made on a website - does not make it true"
That’s why I wrote "they claim" and not "they are".
The trust score of vagupdate.com is very low from Scamadvisor
I never bothered to check their Auto-Scam score but the whole website kinda smelled fishy. They put so much effort towards looking genuine (VAG font and graphics) but then season it up with ample misspellings - reminds me of phishing e-mails I get occasionally. However, I did count on them copying VAG content accurately to appear legit.
PS: if my high-school Latin is correct (yes I was educated by Catholics) Quitus Rotam=5th wheel?
Yes. Seemed appropriate at the time. Btw, I had 2 years of Latin in high school, but neither the school nor its programme had any ties to religion.

Last edited:

ied3vil

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=447647
I own both obdeleven and vcds. I have a subscription on obdeleven and i intend to check the sfd protection unlocking on an ID3 this weekend. I am very curious on the result and i sincerely hope at least in the begining, VCDS should atleast allow me to code and tell me what the bits/adaptation channels mean until the SFD can be unlocked through VCDS.

The token indeed can be used with VCP to unlock SFD.

As someone else said above, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. I also believe VCDS can be improved by adding extra functionality on top of what it already does.

Long time VCDS user, recently purchased the new HN2 interface and i'm loving it so far, also this is my first post here.

Planning on buying additional original diagnostic and programming equipment in the future, i am curious how much it costs to get authorized by VW as well as i am planning to start a garage soon...

Crasher

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21420
Getting registered with VW is quite easy in Europe, you start by joining erWin. The VAS kit is about €1k

• Informative

Abdul999

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282447
Yesterday I successfully tested new 21.9 on Octavia IV with SFD. All works well thank you. Great work Ross-Tech!!

To carry out this coding on a 2021 Skoda Enyaq electric can i use standard Legacy Hex can USB cable or do I have to use newer hex V2 or the Wi-Fi Dongle?

I assume the answer to the above is a NO and i needs newer interface, if that is the case then next question which i also am pretty sure the answer is NO to…. we cant use VCDS through a J2534 Pass thru connection …just for this one coding?

and lastly, this is probably not the right place to ask… but some one may have some experience or advice, how to use SFD tokens on ODIS or do long coding through it to disable seatbelt warning on above vehicle

Abdul999

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=282447
I own both obdeleven and vcds. I have a subscription on obdeleven and i intend to check the sfd protection unlocking on an ID3 this weekend. I am very curious on the result and i sincerely hope at least in the begining, VCDS should atleast allow me to code and tell me what the bits/adaptation channels mean until the SFD can be unlocked through VCDS.

The token indeed can be used with VCP to unlock SFD.

As someone else said above, it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. I also believe VCDS can be improved by adding extra functionality on top of what it already does.

Long time VCDS user, recently purchased the new HN2 interface and i'm loving it so far, also this is my first post here.

Planning on buying additional original diagnostic and programming equipment in the future, i am curious how much it costs to get authorized by VW as well as i am planning to start a garage soon...
Would be great to hear back feedback/ result from this, especially if you unlock with OBDeleven, and disconnect the device, and then connect VCDS would it allow you to access and change coding in the (now unlocked by OBDeleven) SFD protected module?

I have read above uwe says they remain open for 90 minutes, but he hasn’t tested? And info online are giving mixed answered, OBDeleven them selves are saying the module locks it self after disconnecting their adapter, so even if i use OBDeleven 5 mins later i would need to unlock once again.

Back