LED Tail light issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8DUB

Reaction score
Hello all, I bought some tail lights from ECS tuning, standard OEM TINTED tails
At first my incandescent lamps (OEM) were not colored, so the inside of the trails shined white instead of red. I fixed that issue, but now incandescent lamps are too dark.
I bought some led lamps, not fixtures, just the lamps to replace the incandescent lamps.
Original lamps are 1 ohm of resistance each, new LEDs are 37000 ohms each.

Question: Is it possible to change output voltage/current to the tail light through coding?
Second POSSIBLE solution: Me knowing very little about the ECM I'm not sure how safe it would be to disable monitoring (or if it is even possible)

Side note and info:
With the car off, and no key in it I can turn the switch and the new LEDs will light, but only for 3 seconds or less
I do not have my own Ross tech setup yet, but I am scheduled to have the car hooked up next week. So a diag is not available at the moment.
I have a 2007 GTI BPY engine code 2.0T FSI
I also can't tell if the bulb out indicator is triggered or not, i assume it is but i have a dog light out as well so no certainty there yet.
If you need more info on the car other than the diagnostic please let me know.

Any and all help it's greatly appreciated!! I got a ticket for them a few days ago so i need to get them fixed, hopefully without having to buy new $300 tail lights

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Do you have an Auto-Scan from this car?

-Uwe-

N8DUB

Reaction score
Scheduled for next week. May end up being able to get it this weekend but I'm not sure yet.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Remember things are never a simple as they seem... :(

A bulb's resistance changes when it gets hotter (it increases) and an LED's 'resistance' depends on its forward bias voltage. Also most LED tails are multiplexed with pulse width modulation nowadays. This is how they alter the brightness; by changing the duty factor.

It's probably best we wait for your auto-scans before we see what can be done with this vehicle's setup.

N8DUB

Reaction score
I'm almost at my shop, can anyone give me a quick run down of how to post my findings?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Click the link in my previous post.

-Uwe-

N8DUB

Reaction score
I found it just before you posted
On my way to get a flash drive now