j2534-1 Pass-thru or j2534-2 Pass-thru for VAG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sers77

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=26140
Is j2534-2 needed for Body Control Reprogramming on VAG or could it be done with j2534-1?

sers77

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=26140
So I found this:

J2534 is a standard that for communications between a vehicle and a computer. A J2534 device simply allows its user to interface with a vehicle programmer using a PC or other device that can store and access flash programming media and re-program a vehicles powertrain modules. In other words, its a go-between for a computer to communicate with the car's PCM. Soon, with any luck, we will soon be able to access the BCM, Security and other modules with pass thru units. J2534 has several differant specifications that are sometimes confusing to understand outside engineering circles. For all intent and purpose, the simplest explanation for these J2534 specifications are as follows:

J2534-1 - deals spacifically with flash programing capabilities on two fronts; avalablitiy of data and a device that will allow anyone to program a vehicle. In short, both software and hardware avalability for flash programing of a vehicles powertrain managment module.

J2534-2 - deals with access to manufacturer spacific modules and communications protocols. -2 compliant devices allow access to other devices other than powertrain on several automobile lines including GM, Volvo, BMW, Toyota, and Ford. A good example of this is the DrewTech Cardaq and how it works with Toyota factory software (Techstream) to access any vehicle systems as opposed to just the PCM. There is more later on this.

J2534-3 - This is a proposed conformance test that is in deveolpment by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) to test the compliance of all J2534-1 devices. (yea I know, seems kind of confusing). Once J2534-3 is in place, all manufactures of J2534-1 units should be able to pass the conformance test. In other words, a "stamp of approval" from the SAE.

HERE: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Scan-Tool...ng-and-J2534-Basics-/10000000011027118/g.html

Reactions: Uwe

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

Is j2534-2 needed for Body Control Reprogramming on VAG or could it be done with j2534-1?

This is a good question, I would suggest you to use the Offboard Diagnostic Information System diagnostic [ODIS] software and erWin website when updating any VAG controller.

- Below is the link to erWin is where you can see the list approved devices.

Step by Step: Offboard Diagnostic Information System software

The text says:

.......... The following diagnostic interfaces have been tested for use with the Offboard Diagnostic Information System diagnostic software:

Blue Streak Electronics Inc. - iflash Global Programmer
Dearborn Group - VSI-2534
Drew Technologies - CarDAQ-Plus
I+ME Actia GmbH - PassThru+ XS

Hope this helps,

drpeter

mattylondon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219022
Where would one find updated firmware to flash? I know dealers can flash modules, as early A8 D3's had a problem with the energy management and new firmware was needed.

Just to answer OP's question, J2534-2 is needed to reflash dealer specific modules beyond the Engine and Trans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back