Not open for further replies.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
The freeze frame information is irrelevant in this scenario. In most cases the coolant temp sensor is a dual sensor, one end goes to the ECM and another to the instrument cluster. Even if the instruments one would be faulty, the ECM wouldn't get the actual value from the cluster. It only seens it's own end/sensor and therefor cannot put a snapshot of the faulty part into the freeze frame. That said, unless you actually have a DTC in the ECM pointing to the cluster and you can actually read the causing DTC from the cluster there is little to none you can do, in fact it isn't even certain a temp sensor is the cause here. Therefor replacing sensors etc. blindly is in my opinion a waste of time and money.

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
The above does not read as though VCDS is adequate for the job in hand. The coolant sensor on this vehicle is not a dual sensor. Referring back to one of my earlier posts looking up the fault code and a proper checking procedure would be required to establish the root cause of the fault. I looked through Wiki and could not find the code and asked originally for fault code information, is that information not available!!

To be honest this does not read good at all;

unless you actually have a DTC in the ECM pointing to the cluster and you can actually read the causing DTC from the cluster there is little to none you can do.

I have a DTC, 18062/P1654. Nobody in the trade wants to go back to the customer and tell them they have to go to the main dealers because there is nothing we can do, sorry that is not a good way of thinking.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS is giving you the information available from the vehicle.

Neither VCDS nor the people who make it claim to know the cause of every DTC that can be read from every vehicle, nor how to fix them all.

This is a 10 year old vehicle. Have you verified that both the ECM and the cluster are both correct for the vehicle and compatible? Have you verified that software in the ECM is stock and has not been fiddled with (remapped?)

As for the abbreviations used here like MVB FOD and so on, when you see something green, bolded, with a dotted underline, hover your cursor over it; the forum software will tell you what it means.

-Uwe-

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
Uwe - I have not completed the following;

This is a 10 year old vehicle. Have you verified that both the ECM and the cluster are both correct for the vehicle and compatible? Have you verified that software in the ECM is stock and has not been fiddled with (remapped?)

I'll have to ask before I invest, does anyone know where the information is on ERWIN so that I can complete the checking procedure to the fault code provided, if not does ERWIN have a help line to ask before purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back