Not open for further replies.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Side question.

If I have been using the HEXNET in AP mode, and then get back to where my wifi network is, should it not just log on to the wifi by pressing the red button to switch to infra mode? Didn't seem like it did despite pressing the button and the middle LED going to solid green?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What is the IP number you enter in the browser? Are you connecting it Via AP mode to the computer or infrastructure?

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Side question.

If I have been using the HEXNET in AP mode, and then get back to where my wifi network is, should it not just log on to the wifi by pressing the red button to switch to infra mode? Didn't seem like it did despite pressing the button and the middle LED going to solid green?

Yes, Pressing the red button will switch between AD-HOC/Infrastructure. Do you here a beep when you press the button?

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
10.0.1.97 is the IP for it

Infra when I was using the laptop

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Yes there is a beep but I wasn't able to find it before I went into AP and manually set the profile for my wifi as active. I was using this app called "Fing" on my phone to see what devices were online and it wasn't showing up

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ok, the issue with VCDS Beta 14 is due to the network configuration of the virtual machine. Your Windows VM is using the ip/gateway is 192.168.207.x, while OSX and the HEX-NET are on 10.0.1.x.

To fix this, you must configure your VM network to be on the same network as OSX and HEX-NET. I'm trying to locate instructions for VMware and will post once i find it.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761

Ok thanks! Will look into that later.

But one thing that does seem to be annoying is that I can't seem to get it to automatically log back in (and become available) on my wifi :(

Just used it wired (for ATF temp as I can't get that info on the 99 Eurovan any other way it seems) and then was going to use it in infra mode, and the middle led is solid green last one flashing green but scanning the IPs says it's unavailable :(

Also it does seem like switching from wireless to wired or vice versa without unplugging the unit from the car gives "No Response from controller" that's normal?

invisiblewave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208767
Not sure if this is any help to this thread, but I was able to update the firmware directly from my Linux desktop: Plug in the HEX-NET via USB, put it in infrastructure mode (the Java utility will run on anything, so no need for a Windoze VM) so it has internet access, then direct the browser to it and click the check for updates button. The only minor hiccups were that the jar wasn't executable by default after downloading and the first time I tried the update it never actually started, the second time it ran fine.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think I've been able to figure everything out EXCEPT the VCDS Beta 14 finding it :(

So VCDS will automatically scan for it on various IPs then I presume or?
No, VCDS does a broadcast on what Windows believes is your local network. In your case, that looks to be to be 192.168.207.x. However, your real network is 10.0.1.x. So although your computer knows how to route packets from the "vitural" network that Windows sees to your real network and back, it will not route a broadcast that's explicitly limited to 192.168.207.x anywhere else. ;)

As Santos said, you're going to need to give your Windows VM access to your real network.

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
I will ask it in here you can tell me if you would've preferred it in this same thread or if in a separate one?

TDI timing can I check that on VCDS mobile only through cloud services? I haven't even tried yet!

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
UDS controllers are a slightly different animal but for KW1281, KWP2000 or CAN modules, VCDS-Mobile will pull up the appropriate label file and will let you choose from the list of documented group numbers and fields, such as:

Engine Load [loc 37-1]
Sensor Voltage,Bank 3/4 Sensor 2 [loc 37-2]
Adjustment,Bank 3/4 Sensor 2 [loc 37-3]
Result,Delta Lambda [loc 37-4]

That's group 037 fields 1 through 4.

If no label file is present at all, then all 255 possible groups each with 4 fields are shown without any description, like:

[loc 37-1]
[loc 37-2]
[loc 37-3]
[loc 37-4]

Now, if a label file IS present but there is a group that is undocumented (group 002 for example) it won't show up on the list of items you can check. But on the Advanced Measuring Values screen you can just type in the search box 002 and click Submit (not Search) and VCDS-Mobile should display the data in:

[loc 002-1]
[loc 002-2]
[loc 002-3]
[loc 002-4]

In the case of your transmission controller, I would expect to find fluid temperature in group 005 specifically in field 1.

Ok well whatever I do it won't show ATF coolant temp under the advanced measuring values as it does under the "normal" (not "advanced") measuring blocks on full VCDS for the 99 Eurovan.

Now is the measuring blocks being missing something that has to do with the beta status or is this how it will remain? I am asking because one major feature I was looking to use while being mobile was the TDI timing checking of the TDIs with actual VE pumps. Is that something I can do somehow on VCDS mobile? :( looking like maybe not that would be a serious let down for me personally :(

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Just a heads up I've done updates to my HEX NET I think three times now and two out of three the updating status bar just stayed at 0% making me believe it was stalling but then finally without any progress % it said it was done.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ok well whatever I do it won't show ATF coolant temp under the advanced measuring values as it does under the "normal" (not "advanced") measuring blocks on full VCDS for the 99 Eurovan.
I think I understand why you're not seen any measuring values on that tranny. It does measuring values in a very arcane way, which VWAG deprecated back in the early 1990s, but somehow allowed Hella to continue using it in the AG4 series of TCUs until 2003 when those old 4-speeds were finally replaced. Bottom line is: Support for that is not implemented in VCDS-Mobile yet.

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
I think I understand why you're not seen any measuring values on that tranny. It does measuring values in a very arcane way, which VWAG deprecated back in the early 1990s, but somehow allowed Hella to continue using it in the AG4 series of TCUs until 2003 when those old 4-speeds were finally replaced. Bottom line is: Support for that is not implemented in VCDS-Mobile yet.

-Uwe-

Yeah the ATF coolant temp on the Eurovans is something that tends to be both critical and not so easy to read I know a lot of EV owners buy scan gauges to follow that temp but it takes a bit of manual input to get it to read it.

ATF temp would have been nice but oh well :( so I see you say "not yet" so maybe there is hope? Though I'd hate to buy another device there's ipad mini sized full windows tablets out there now so :) for not that much money. Now I do wish there would be a way to connect the Hex net unit to such a tablet on the go without having to then literally have to rely on a third device to create a network for them or is there without using the USB cable, that is using Hex net wirelessly without a wifi network?

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
I think I understand why you're not seen any measuring values on that tranny. It does measuring values in a very arcane way, which VWAG deprecated back in the early 1990s, but somehow allowed Hella to continue using it in the AG4 series of TCUs until 2003 when those old 4-speeds were finally replaced.
-Uwe-

Yeah the early 90's Eurovans have Hella TCMs in them just checked but the VR6 or late 90's (and early '00s) Eurovans have Siemens TCMs in them:

39226574244_large.jpg

My own 99 Eurovan no longer has a TCM as it will be manual TDI shortly but that's another topic all-together :)

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Though I'd hate to buy another device there's ipad mini sized full windows tablets out there now so :) for not that much money. Now I do wish there would be a way to connect the Hex net unit to such a tablet on the go without having to then literally have to rely on a third device to create a network for them or is there without using the USB cable, that is using Hex net wirelessly without a wifi network?

Ok well I guess that's totally out then too :( can't really use a modern Windows 8 small tablet at all with the full VCDS :(

Or it's ok with Win8 just not Win8.1?

I'm using Windows 8.1 and cannot talk to the HEX-NET reliably via USB?

Unfortunately, Microsoft made substantial changes to the power management for USB peripherals in Windows 8.1. This has caused problems for lots of devices including cell phones, game controllers, and the HEX-NET. We hope to have a solution for this soon, but until we do, connecting a HEX-NET to a PC running Windows 8.1 is not supported. However, it should work fine via WiFi.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We believe that Windows 8.1 problem is fixed and has been since we released VCDS Beta 14.2.0 more than a week ago. But I see that I forgot to update the FAQ....

[time passes]

Done!

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
We believe that Windows 8.1 problem is fixed and has been since we released VCDS Beta 14.2.0 more than a week ago. But I see that I forgot to update the FAQ....

[time passes]

Done!

-Uwe-

OK and upon re-reading and re-watching all the videos (there is no user manual per se yet correct?) I realize that you should be able to connect the Windows PC to the HEX NET directly through AP mode, without any wifi network being provided meaning being "on the go" somewhere right?

I can't test that yet since I don't have a native Win machine and still have to figure out the bridged network deal.

Any comments on the lack of a "measuring blocks - 08" menu from the VCDS mobile? :( That's what bums me out the most really, pls tell me it's in the works!
Oh and what about "Readiness - 15" too?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
you should be able to connect the Windows PC to the HEX NET directly through AP mode, without any wifi network being provided meaning being "on the go" somewhere right?
Yup.
Any comments on the lack of a "measuring blocks - 08" menu from the VCDS mobile?
Well, "Measuring Blocks" is more-or-less deprecated by VW at this point too, but we will give you direct access to old-school groups on modules that support them on the Advanced Measuring Blocks screen by typing in a group number in the search field.

Oh and what about "Readiness - 15" too?
Seesh, they want it all. ;)
I don't see any reason why that can't be done at some point.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back