Not open for further replies.

andyvee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159389
Hi

I'm considering getting a short (1m?) OBD2 extension cable for use with the HEX-NET in Infrastructure mode. I am finding that the location of the OBD2 port on the Octavia 3 means the HEX-NET gets a variable at best wi-fi signal, probably not helped much by the SmartGate wifi module under the drivers seat about 2 feet away!

Plus, you can't see any of the LEDs without a mirror!
My thoughts are to extend so that the HEX-NET can end up sat on top of the dashboard where it should get a better wi-fi signal without all that tin in the way, plus it is further away from the SmartGate module (and yes, the infrastructure AP and the SmartGate are on different channels over 5 channels apart).

So, I have seen some cables advertised as all 16 pins connected, and some as 9 pins connected - do I need all 16 pins to be connected on an extension cable as there are some that utilise a low profile right angled OBD2 male connector and a flat cable which look good, but only have 9 pins connected.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So, I have seen some cables advertised as all 16 pins connected, and some as 9 pins connected - do I need all 16 pins to be connected on an extension cable as there are some that utilise a low profile right angled OBD2 male connector and a flat cable which look good, but only have 9 pins connected.
Which 9? For universal compatibility, the HEX-NET needs pins 4, 5, 6, 7, 14, 15, and 16. Pin 1 would be nice too, but it's not essential. On your car, 7 and 15 are not essential either.

Our extension brings all 16 pins through, including CAN as a twisted pair.

-Uwe-

andyvee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159389
Which 9? For universal compatibility, the HEX-NET needs pins 4, 5, 6, 7, 14, 15, and 16. Pin 1 would be nice too, but it's not essential. On your car, 7 and 15 are not essential either.

Our extension brings all 16 pins through, including CAN as a twisted pair.

-Uwe-
Seems the best bet for maximum compatibility. Only fair that I order one fro you, I'll order tonight.

andyvee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159389
Wow - $56.91 shipping on a $25 cable :(

Any other shipping options available?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yeah, FedEx Priority is expensive, but it gets there reliably and fast, and we don't normally sell $25.00 items stand-alone.

I just checked postal rates. Least expensive option for a 1-lb package to the UK ("First Class") is $22.50. :(

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Although we haven't contacted Gendan directly... we bounced some ideas around. If you aren't in a hurry and don't mind waiting until Gendan Limited needs to replenish their inventory we should be able to send them an extension with the next order. That would get the extension across the pond but we would need to ping them directly for shipping details since you aren't within driving distance.

-Dana

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Grant from Gendan should be contacting you directly via email to sort the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back