Active lane assist on Skoda Superb 3

mfizz

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning on buying a used Skoda superb 3 over here in the UK. The latest model comes in a few trim levels and apart from laurin and klement variant, lane assist is an optional extra. Finding a vehicle with that is a minefield as dealers generally don't pay attention to these things.

Therefore I was hoping I could go ahead and purchase the SE-L executive version which is second from the top, as the only thing I want is lane assist. With that in mind I want to know if that's sufficient enough for me to get and then purchase a vcds and code the lane assist, given that it has the a5 camera in the windscreen.

What other features use the camera that I should be looking out for so I don't have to strip and do too much to retrofit lane assist. Is a factory fitted a5 camera sufficient to have all the modules that will keep the car in the centre of the lane...?

I cant attach a brochure to reference the UK trim levels but I'll find another avenue if it's useful information to have...

https://ddscars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Skoda-Brochure-July-2016-Superb.pdf&ved=2ao

Thanks a lot

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
AFAIK you don't need any additional hardware besides the A5 camera for Lane Assist. Simply code the camera, steering rack, cluster and infotainment.

If you have listings of used cars (with pictures) on hand, you can ascertain the presence of the A5 camera quite easily by looking for the camera triangle in the windscreen. Its normally there if the particular vehicle was ordered with equipment which made use of the A5 camera, such as Smart Light Assist (Dynamic Light Assist in Skoda's parlance).

mfizz

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply..
Coding of the camera, cluster and infotainment I understand, but the steering rack.. how does the system control the steering if by factory default there was no lane assist, assuming there is a motor or some part that steers the car left and riggr or am I missing something?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
All cars have electronic power steering, the lane assist uses the same power steering motor. That is not a worry, the steering rack supports lane assist even the car on the factory didn't have it.

mfizz

Reaction score
Thank you all, after my initial excitement, it appears the camera doesn't come standard other than on the top spec car.. disappointing really..

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
The camera is something that can be retrofitted with relative ease, though. Just be sure to get a vehicle with ACC for full effect :)

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
The camera is something that can be retrofitted with relative ease, though. Just be sure to get a vehicle with ACC for full effect :)
Doesn't fitting that camera need a new windscreen also?

Swapping from the 20 camera to the A5 camera does need a new windscreen on my Skoda Octavia.

mfizz

Reaction score
I have seen instances of a5 camera requiring a new windscreen, but why?

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
I have seen instances of a5 camera requiring a new windscreen, but why?

Because the windscreen has a cutout for the camera and one for the rain/light sensor, the latter one also being in a different position vs a model without camera. Furthermore, almost all car windshields are by default UV-blocking. This shield is interrupted in places where there is a sensor or a camera mounted to the windscreen. The positions of these cutouts vary accordingly.

As far as i know, the windscreen always needs to be swapped when retrofitting a camera, and usually also the rear-view mirror assembly since the camera is mounted behind it.

Back