VW Passat b8 speakers problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaskis

Reaction score
Hei. Maybe somebody can help me. I have buyed VW Passat b8, 2017. And working just tweeters, from bass speakers coming just little sound. Have tryed to connect vcds, no fault codes coming up.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
if you have the cable then post an autoscan ;)

you either have a wiring problem or your woofers are blown...

Reactions: Uwe

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
Start with the simple things - check Balance and Fader menus in Sound menu in radio ;)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
ditto, but a wrong balance/fader setting would not kill the woofers. WF and TW are brutally paralleled with just a crappy capacitor filtering low end from tweeters.

check the bass and treble though, 12 dB of bass attenuation would make WF sound rather thin.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Actually no. If the car has no sound system, the tweeters have separate outputs behind the media unit. The capacitor is there to make the tweeters sound less harsh as they’re crap :)

I remember reading that some have had issues with the woofers. The glue breaks and the magnet part drops off completely.

Other thing worth checking is the wiring between the door and the chassis. VW still isn’t using long enough wires :)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
if the 5F has four outputs, and the speakers are 8, then each WF is paralleled to its TW... WD doesn't lie.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
if the 5F has four outputs, and the speakers are 8, then each WF is paralleled to its TW... WD doesn't lie.

darkchina: I'm aware that the now-infamous "yellow" long coding screens have a dubious reputation on this forum (grossly undeserved and a much maligned reputation IMO) - but it might be instructive to view your comments above against the descriptors for Byte 4 on the hex5F module.

wrPrsN0.png

So - using nothing more than intuition, does "channel" in the (infamous) yellow screen equate to "output" in your response? And does "HT" and "TT" equate to signal-speaker type (what is the short name for base and treble signal in der-vater language)?

Don

Last edited:

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
I might be missing something, and fairly big. it's four channels, 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4. if you go behind the units, speaker outputs are 8 pins, so again, four channels.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813

I propose to check the WD again.

Seat Leon and Audi A3 at least have separate outputs for tweeters behind MIB unit if no sound system. If with sound system, those outputs will become center and subwoofer and the tweeters are derived from low frequency output. Thus the capacitor.
The MIB units are ingenious from VAG. They have digital filters on each output which is programmable via parameter sets. Saves a lot of money and hassle.

Jaskis

Reaction score
Mine Passat is without sound system. I have tryed to disconnect door by door, but still, just tweeters working. And i dont know if mine car have Amp for speakers

Jaskis

Reaction score
And i have heard maybe i need to update multimedia software. Can it be?

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
OP, did you check Sound settings in radio?

If amp is present, its located directly under the driver's seat under a plastic cover.

Jaskis

Reaction score
I have checked settings, everything is good. I think my car don't have amp, can't found it under the seat

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I might be missing something, and fairly big. it's four channels, 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4. if you go behind the units, speaker outputs are 8 pins, so again, four channels.

darkchina: I suspect that my thick Aussie accent is the problem (I must try harder to learn my mother tongue - Italian)!! Yes, I'm aware of the pin-out for the MIB quad-connectors - it's like this:

v0C5FI1.png

I'm not suggesting that the Bits in Byte 4 are software switches for each speaker pin on the rear of the MIB. I'm tentatively hypothesizing that perhaps Byte 4 has something to do with digital processing of the audio signal for the speaker output - perhaps?

In reading the discourse on this thread and the fact that you recommend that Byte 4 value is set to hexAA, you clearly have deactivated Bits 0, 2, 4 and 6. If I translate this to "yellow screen speak" - this means that you have deactivated the HT facility from each of the 4 x channels in the MIB.

I'm trying to understand what HT (and TT) means in the much-maligned "yellow" screen and I'm hoping for some insight from your recommended Byte 4 setting !!

Don

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
my stock value for byte 4 was FF, when I installed a non-OEM DSP/AMP with high level inputs I changed the byte to AA to get rid of the error in the 5F about speakers. I don't remember how I determined that AA was the value I wanted, I was inspired somehow by experimental coding.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
And to make things even more funnier, this is the thing that puzzles me :

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/mk3-2014-head-unit-change.442062/#post-4759836

As you can see, for Seat 8 speaker system, it clearly shows that front left and right treble speakers and front left and right woofers are coming from separate pinouts. Rears are combined. So the pinout itself is not telling exactly what is connected to each pin. The programming of the headunit is the key factor here.

If I remember correctly, also A3 Audi sound system has the same.

Jaskis

Reaction score
So you think i need to update software?

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
No, I think you need to check the woofers physically are they ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back