... it was funny to me....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
There was a whole parking lot full of cars at the top left corner of Uwe's news chopper video above. I was wondering why they weren't moved before the blast, to keep them from getting damaged by flying debris and/or dust? Here's the answer, from that parking lot:

Even an implosion can't make diesel-gate go away for VWoA..... :facepalm:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
"...while those leaving Colorado hit a record high..." So much for the pot economy.....

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/colorado/articles/2017-12-03/residents-moving-out-of-colorado-in-record-numbers

Residents Moving Out of Colorado in Record Numbers

Data shows a record number of residents have moved out of the state of Colorado.

Dec. 3, 2017, at 1:40 p.m.

DENVER (AP) — Data shows a record number of residents have moved out of the state of Colorado.

The Denver Post reports new annual figures from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey show Colorado saw its first drop this decade in the number of people arriving from other states in 2016, while those leaving Colorado hit a record high, resulting in the lowest net-migration number — 30,000 total new residents — in seven years.

The data says 193,000 Coloradans moved away last year, 10,000 more than in 2015, while 223,000 moved into the state, down about 4,000 from the year before but still well above recent years.

The Census survey numbers do not include people who have moved to the state from abroad.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
3kVGL6h.jpg

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
MnaxS2w.png

for those that don't know, The Room is a cult classic from 2003:

There's a new movie based on the making of "the room":

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
If you're flying on a Boeing, you apparently ain't going...until they land!!!!! :D

https://nypost.com/2017/12/06/ny-flight-to-seattle-forced-to-make-emergency-potty-break/

Cross-country flight forced to make emergency potty break

By Joe Tacopino
December 6, 2017 | 2:12am | Updated

A Delta flight from JFK Airport to Seattle needed to make an unscheduled landing to give passengers a much-needed bathroom break.

The Boeing 757 made a stop in in Billings, Montana, on Saturday after the toilets became full and the passengers could not hold it all the way to the West Coast, according to the Billings-Gazette newspaper.

“All toilets were full and passengers needed to ‘go really bad,’” read a report from Delta.

The plane was flying near the Canadian border when it was diverted hundreds of miles south and eventually landed in Billings.

The aircraft then taxied the runway while there were “passengers that needed to find a lavatory very urgently.”

A stairway eventually was rolled up to the plane so people could hop off and finally relieve themselves.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Boki It means your car engine is taking a shit with no oil PSI at 4 degrees C ......... /\ ;)

Anyone that wants to drain their eyes or has a dry eye issue should go see this..........very good movie.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^ I didn't know that anyone still made 27 MHz radio controlled toys.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032HF60M

vreihen: We just had our own Amazon outlet open-up here in Australia this week. The opening came with predictions of wide-spread closures of lots of local shops who say that they won't be able to compete against Amazon's buying power. Given the Australia no longer manufactures anything, and that local wage growth is in the toilet, I suspect the real problem will be the availability of disposal income. Anyhow, it seems that Amazon at least sees Australia as a profitable market

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
So, I was sitting at my desk trying to do work this afternoon, when I overheard a conversation between two of my office suite co-workers. One of them came into work a few days ago, and noticed that someone had turned the picture of his kid on his desk upside-down and also something was backwards on his office antique knick knack shelf. The other one said that his IP desk phone didn't work this morning, and he discovered that someone had unplugged the two RJ-45 connectors on the bottom and swapped them overnight. They were getting all paranoid about someone snooping around the office area at night, and I told them that there was nothing to worry about because it was just the building's ghost having some fun with them. It has never hurt anyone in my 30+ years working there, and has always stopped bothering someone if they admit that the ghost is real and ignore its pranks.

When I first started my employment (back when dinosaurs roamed the fishbowls and computers didn't run 24/7), I had worked second shift one night and first shift the next morning. I had used the attached serial console to shut the system down, and then locked the processor room on my way out. Being a high security area, not even the mall cops or custodial crews had a key to get in. Locked doors don't stop ghosts, though. The next morning, I discovered that someone had moved the serial console's cable to the wrong DB-25 port when I tried to boot up and nothing displayed. My boss at the time explained the whole ghost thing, and how to get it to stop bothering me.

A year or so later, the mall cops were having problems finding night guards to patrol the upper floors. They would walk the entire hallway, checking that every office light was out and all windows closed. They would then turn around and walk the hallway in reverse, and invariably find an open door, outside window, or light turned on. I walked a patrol once with them and saw it first hand, and know that it spooked (pun intended) a few guards into quitting rather than patrol those upper floors.

When my co-workers heard the ghost stories this afternoon, they hit the equipment shelves and rigged up a camera system to find out who is doing it. I asked them what they planned to do if they *didn't* catch the ghost (or a person) on video but found stuff moved? Try harder, of course. I warned them that they are going into battle with the paranormal, and the only way to reach a stalemate is to admit that the ghost exists and ignore its pranks until it moves on. Silly kids.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, I am not playing a practical joke on them. As much as I don't believe in that supernatural hokum, there is no denying that something unexplainable is happening and holy water isn't a defense.....

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
vreihen: I don't mean any offense and I have the upmost respect for your grip on reality, but ghosts - really?

I'm by no means an expert on what happens when folk have shuffled-off their mortal coils (to use an idiom from the bard), but even if we entertain the concept of the paranormal - why on God's green earth would such sentient beings be motivated by human traits such as practical-jokes, or the need to scare living humans? The attribution of such traits to ghosts is a kind of supernatural anthropomorphism - humans do this to animals all the time to try to understand their actions, but it's nothing more than nonsense - sorry for being so blunt!!

Does anyone really believe that a supernatural species that is able to manipulate physical matter would get their jollies by swapping cables on DB-25 sockets - just as a practical joke? I mean- If I was a ghost and I had paranormal abilities, why would I get any pleasure (do ghosts get "pleasure") from confusing an office worker by changing wall plugs?

If I really got my jollies from practical jokes as a ghost, and if I was able to manipulate matter, why wouldn't I change the cables behind the wall sockets?? Now there's a much better practical joke!!

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
...why on God's green earth would such sentient beings be motivated by human traits such as practical-jokes, or the need to scare living humans?

Never watched Casper as a kid, eh?

I suspect that it is buyer's remorse when they reach the hereafter and find out that there are no wings, harps, or 72 virgins waiting for them. :p

If I really got my jollies from practical jokes as a ghost, and if I was able to manipulate matter, why wouldn't I change the cables behind the wall sockets?? Now there's a much better practical joke!!

There *is* an explanation why the ghost hasn't swapped cables behind wall plates. It, like them, probably can't find where they left any of the 110 punchdown tools. The two people in question are the caretakers of the fiber/copper/telco cable plant and network/PBX switches, and one of them has a habit of losing tools. If anything were swapped, they would just blame each other and the ghost wouldn't get its chuckles for pranking them.

Anyway, something/someone is trying to get their attention, and the only way to make it stop that I've ever found is to ignore the pranks.....

Reactions: Uwe

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Does anyone really believe that a supernatural species that is able to manipulate physical matter would get their jollies by swapping cables on DB-25 sockets - just as a practical joke? I mean- If I was a ghost and I had paranormal abilities, why would I get any pleasure (do ghosts get "pleasure") from confusing an office worker by changing wall plugs?

The only rational conclusion that I can come up with is that the ghost has nothing else to live for. :D

On the ghost hunt front, I came in this morning and found one of the two going over last night's security camera recordings. I walked in quietly behind him, and asked if he caught the ghost...which made him jump nearly out of his skin because he didn't hear me! Nothing on the videos but the overnight custodians, and one unexplained motion recording trip when nothing was observed in the video frame. Apparently, this ghost doesn't reflect 850nm infrared light. They're not going to take my advice and ignore it..... :facepalm:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
They're not going to take my advice and ignore it..... :facepalm:
That's young people for you - when we try to offer advice based on our experience, it's very often ignored - usually at unnecessary cost to our employers :banghead:

Experience CAN save an awful lot of time, money and stress - but only if it's listened to!!!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Apparently, this ghost doesn't reflect 850nm infrared light. They're not going to take my advice and ignore it..... :facepalm:

vrreihen: My life's credo has always been that there is nothing more obtuse than a man who believes that truth has only one face. So I will remain agnostic (rather than an atheist) about your ghost hypothesis. But from a purely logical perspective - how does a sentient being trigger an infrared camera in the first place, but then remain undetected by the same wavelength light? Sounds very much like the practical joker @ your place of employment is human! Why not set-up you own camera - but don't tell any of your co-workers?

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Why not set-up you own camera - but don't tell any of your co-workers?
Because that would end the truce that Artie has with the ghost(s) and they would start to pick on him again, obviously! ;)

Back