Random Videos

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
The second video (especially) is no news to Ross-Tech.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Yes, we know about such knock-offs.

He says they will do something... there is little to be done. The costs to stop it will exceed the revenue one collects. It is a no win scenario.

Unlike him, we are not going to tell how we know the units are knock-offs. We know. If we tell, they will change so that the uninformed cannot tell.

The best tell: when the price seems too good to be true, you know it is not the real deal.

That said, a lot his innuendo toward the Chinese people rubs me the wrong way. We can't blame the whole of the Chinese people for the ones who choose to get rich through theft of real products. Most Chinese I met hated that their country was the center of such illegal products. It was an embarrassment to them.

I do agree with his statement about not supporting the illegal copies. We all ought to avoid them.

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Warranty DENIED !

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Warranty DENIED !
Yeah, that's a really interesting tear down. Cams bolted into the valve covers? That's something I haven't seen before. And of course, I wonder what the reason was for the denial? Was it "tuned"?

-Uwe-

stefdds

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174556
Was it "tuned"?
Its just not clear. Perhaps there was a tune present and the claim was dismissed outright or (as you would know) some stored data in the ECU where a discrepancy was found between when the "alarm bells" went off and when the engine was shut down ; mileage also. (???)

One thing that is clear is that engine got rocket hot! as both L and R central cylinders were leaking combustion gases; and the heads were warped. (not to mention the intermix!).
I'm not sure about the S5 (single turbo) , but the RS5 (bi-turbo) does have coolant to air inter coolers and they need to be monitored for intermix issues.

But surely, that dash had to have had warning messages flashing constantly if coolant was getting into the oil supply. (or vice versa). i'd bet the customer just kept driving until the engine stopped running.

Back