Not open for further replies.

kaptenkanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=342485
Hello

I just bought a second hand HEX-V2, and I was joining the forums because I was having some problems with it.
After reading around the forum I have realised that my problem is most likely that my unit is fake haha.

Just to confirm it though, it says HEX-V2 on it, but in VCDS it shows up as HEX-USB+CAN.
And the serial number on it is H10-000000.
(both of these seem to be dead giveaways)

If the serial number thing is true, my humble suggestion would be to maybe add it somewhere on the website so that idiots like me can spend less time on fake products =)

Seeing another post about fake cables, I have followed suit and ordered one from Gendan (I'm in the UK)

// Johan

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
I think it's reasonably clear what the official distributors and resellers are: http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php
Of course I do feel some sympathy for everyone that unknowingly buys a fake cable. Usually, if it seems too good to be true, it is.
So, props for buying a genuine one.

H10-00000 usually is a good giveaway that it is not a genuine cable just as the HEX+CAN identifier.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Just to confirm it though, it says HEX-V2 on it, but in VCDS it shows up as HEX-USB+CAN.
And the serial number on it is H10-000000.
(both of these seem to be dead giveaways)
Yes, they are...

If the serial number thing is true, my humble suggestion would be to maybe add it somewhere on the website so that idiots like me can spend less time on fake products =)
I'm reluctant to publish a authoritative guide on how to spot a fake, because the moment we do that, the people who produce fakes will use it to make them more difficult to spot, and then even more people will get duped.

How did you pay for it?

-Uwe-

kaptenkanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=342485
Of course I do feel some sympathy for everyone that unknowingly buys a fake cable. Usually, if it seems too good to be true, it is.
Well it was a bit too good to be true, especially when it is godforsaken ebay. I was just out looking for a limited one for something closer to the American price instead of the British price and happened on this one.
The guy has been on ebay for 10 years with only a few sales to his name, so most likely not a scammer. I guess he was just oblivious. He was selling it because he thought there was something wrong with his car =P
I was thinking in the same way when I couldn't get it to work properly, because it worked intermittently

I'm reluctant to publish a authoritative guide on how to spot a fake, because the moment we do that, the people who produce fakes will use it to make them more difficult to spot, and then even more people will get duped.
Yeah I guess that is a fairly good point. There seems to be a few of them in circulation though?

How did you pay for it?
Paypal and ebay, but it has been slightly over a month now and ebay informs me that my "Money back guarantee" is over.
I have made a return request anyway to see what happens.

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
You have 180 days through Paypal. That's where I'd be going.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There seems to be a few of them in circulation though?
Yes, but I'm reasonably confident that most people who buy fakes on eBay know they're buying fakes. Genuine used ones, even the older ones, sell for far more than the fakes do.

Paypal and ebay, but it has been slightly over a month now and ebay informs me that my "Money back guarantee" is over.
I have made a return request anyway to see what happens.
You have 180 days through Paypal. That's where I'd be going.
Yep. Send a photo of it, and the details (eBay item number and PayPal transaction ID) to Sales@Ross-Tech.com and we'll get you a letter confirming it's an illegally pirated fake.

-Uwe-

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I was just out looking for a limited one for something closer to the American price instead of the British price and happened on this one.

The "American price" doesn't include shipping, or VAT and customs clearance charges (which you would get charged as Ross-Tech ship by FedEx), so the final price is usually about the same, once all the extras are taken into account.

kaptenkanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=342485
Yep. Send a photo of it, and the details (eBay item number and PayPal transaction ID) to Sales@Ross-Tech.com and we'll get you a letter confirming it's an illegally pirated fake.
-Uwe-

Thanks! I have done so, and will proceed with raising a request with paypal.

kaptenkanna

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=342485
The "American price" doesn't include shipping, or VAT and customs clearance charges (which you would get charged as Ross-Tech ship by FedEx), so the final price is usually about the same, once all the extras are taken into account.

Doesn't hurt to look =)
Except this time it did haha.
You forgot to mention the candy included in your price that I just received

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You forgot to mention the candy included in your price that I just received

8XFHR75.jpg

:D