Status
Not open for further replies.

lonallen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=276459
I purchased a new MKV MFSW w/paddles, a 1K0971584C airbag cable (I have a single airbag ignitor) and a SWCM 1K0953549CH (one currently on car is a BF). Initially I installed all parts, started car and had steering assist and traction control issues (lights on) the whole time. Driving around (and steering stop to stop) did not clear anything. Tried to program the SWCM but nothing changed. Horn does not work. So I replaced the SWCM with the original to see if the horn would return. No dice. Put the original airbag cable in and horn is back. Does this indicate that my new airbag cable is faulty or do I need to update something else, like a different slip ring? I read somewhere that the MFSW and non-MFSW control the horn differently.

Anyone have an idea where I can start to get my MFSW working? At the moment I have the old airbag harness and SWCM installed so that I am at least back to what I started with (working horn, steering assist working, and traction control light out).

thanks in advance...

lonallen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=276459
It's a MK5 MFSW. I'm not familiar with the differences between LIN 1.3 and 2.0. I do have a new version C clock spring on order.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Ok, is your Aribag and MFSW airbag same at connectors?
What I mean, most None MFSW Airbags are dual stage with 2 connectors,
And MFSW one is single connector?

Reactions: Uwe

lonallen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=276459
The airbag is the original and only has one purple connector (single ignitor). I have the 1K0971584C single connector cable for the MFSW. So far all I can think that the issue is that the steering wheel clock spring does not support a MFSW, so I am now waiting on a new one to arrive (1K0959653C).

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
The airbag is the original and only has one purple connector (single ignitor). I have the 1K0971584C single connector cable for the MFSW. So far all I can think that the issue is that the steering wheel clock spring does not support a MFSW, so I am now waiting on a new one to arrive (1K0959653C).

Yes , Clock spring is different for None MFSW and MFSW.

Reactions: Uwe

lonallen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=276459
Clock Spring arrived yesterday. Hope to get everything back in the car this evening. I read on one of the Ross-Tech pages that because I am installing a new Steering Wheel Control Module that I have to get the dealer to upload a "Characteristic Curve" for the steering. What will happen if this is not done right away? I can see going through all the adaptations in getting the module to work, but if I have to take it to the dealer (or someone with a shop tool) what is the likelihood that they will know what I am asking for when I call to schedule this "upload"? What will this type of service cost (1 hour of labor?)?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I read on one of the Ross-Tech pages that because I am installing a new Steering Wheel Control Module that I have to get the dealer to upload a "Characteristic Curve" for the steering.
I think you misinterpreted something. That might be necessary if the steering rack (or its control module) was replaced, but I don't think so for the Steering Wheel Control Module.

-Uwe-

lonallen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=276459
Got it all together and was having the same issues as before. I already had a version C slip ring so I think my issues were settings in VCDS. After playing around with the coding for the new Steering Wheel Controller I was able to get all the buttons on the steering wheel and the legacy buttons on the wiper stalk to work. Paddles work as well. I will check out the Cruise Control tomorrow on the highway.

I had to follow the Basic Setting for the Steering Angle Sensor (G85) and was able to get the steering assist and the ABS faults to clear. It took a few tries but everything looks like it is working good. Even tried PTT on the MFSW and it followed my voice commands. I did not expect that. It has a British female voice (like the queen of England), so does anyone know how to change that to something not so snooty sounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back