Not open for further replies.

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
Hi
When using vcds output test function,, for example for checking electric windows,, does the function check the wiring circuit, or the components, or both,, how Is the function output test working is it just a switch,, as for example lets say i can operate the window's by the output tests,

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In general, it does not check anything, it juts turns a circuit on, so that one can verify its function using test equipment such as eyes, ears, or a multimeter.

-Uwe-

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
In general, it does not check anything, it juts turns a circuit on, so that one can verify its function using test equipment such as eyes, ears, or a multimeter.

-Uwe-

The reason i ask is, the output test works the windows, yet i know the window motor controller is broke,
as i tried first a switch,, then replaced the controller, and it now works, so wondered how the output is working the output test, to operate the electric windows,, if the motor controller is faulty,, as Naturally you would at first think the controller was good, if triggered by the laptop it works,,, switch was changed, no joy, so all that was left was the controller, i already confirmed i had power to the controller and window switch,,with my meter etc,,

So it would be good to have some clarity on the output test function operation to help with diagnostics in question
otherwise it proves nothing, and can send you down the wrong diagnostic route,, because i had to confirm everything
manually otherwise there was a contradiction,

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So it would be good to have some clarity on the output test function operation to help with diagnostics in question otherwise it proves nothing, and can send you down the wrong diagnostic route,, because i had to confirm everything manually otherwise there was a contradiction,
"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong."
-- Ayn Rand

Suppose the motor controller had a broken solder connection at the switch input. Swapping the switch wouldn't help, but output tests would still actuate the motor.

As for clarity on output tests: I can't offer much, since VCDS simply asks the module to do whatever it is programmed to do, and we don't have access to the source code or specs for the programming inside the modules.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong."
-- Ayn Rand

Suppose the motor controller had a broken solder connection at the switch input. Swapping the switch wouldn't help, but output tests would still actuate the motor.

As for clarity on output tests: I can't offer much, since VCDS simply asks the module to do whatever it is programmed to do, and we don't have access to the source code or specs for the programming inside the modules.

-Uwe-

That is my point, it does not prove anything if you have a item that is broken, yet it still works by output test, no point in using it,
if it does not confirm a broken item, Maybe it confirms the wiring is good, i will see with further use, by deliberately removing Gnd,, I thought you would of had more knowledge of what it was doing, but it is a copy of vw group tool.which you say you have no source code etc.

senna1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=231631
I had a look at the vcds manual section 18A & it says The output test is used to test a Control Module Outputs and the wiring that connects it to a device or various devices, So it is strange that our device is faulty yet the output test says otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back