Status
Not open for further replies.

shaggy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=276063
i was having a discussion with someone of the merits of Hex Net Vs my Hex Can USB and he says that the Hex Net is superior because it will do the newer 2016/7 cars that my USB cable wont.

my questions are

1/ why when the plugs have the same pins and same software is there not enough room (or bytes) left for this on my cable but there is on the wireless system (that you can use via cable)?

2/ is it not software that governs how & what is read so could an update be given for the USB to be able to read the newer cars that they can't now?

3/ i am toying with the idea of a new UK spec Superb early in next year and would like to adjust settings etc but have been informed that the newer Superbs need the newer Hex Can to communicate ?

4/ would i lose some of the older cars i can scan with the USB cable i have now if i changed to the Hex Net?

i am not very good with electronics so don't understand how these things work regarding my cable and the newer Hex Net

thanks in advance

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
1) Yes, that's pretty much what it boils down to. We weren't able to add all the necessary functions into the old hardware to make it fully compatible.
2) While VCDS does a lot/most of the details, the interface does a lot of low-level communication. Meaning both need to work together in order for things to play out.
3) You may get along fine with a HEX+CAN on the MQB Superb but we cannot guarantee it due to some options/modules on the MQB models which will require the newer interface generation.
4) You wouldn't loose anything, the only thing currently not implemented is support VW Crafter (2E) which is high on our todo list - which means it will be added eventually.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
3/ i am toying with the idea of a new UK spec Superb early in next year and would like to adjust settings etc but have been informed that the newer Superbs need the newer Hex Can to communicate ?
My suggestion: Hold off until you get the new car. Worst case is that there will be a few modules your HEX+CAN won't talk to, but this is by no means certain; it depends on how the car is equipped.

We recommend the newer interface to new customers with brand-new cars because it's the only way we can be certain what we're selling them will work with everything in their car, but there's no NEED for existing customers to upgrade unless/until they're working on a car that has one or more modules their existing interface can't handle.

Of course the HEX-NET does have a few advantages: The wireless capability with VCDS, VCDS-Mobile built in, and it's substantially faster when doing Auto-Scans on modern cars that use CAN for diagnostics, but these things are "nice to have", not "must have".

-Uwe-

shaggy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=276063
1) Yes, that's pretty much what it boils down to. We weren't able to add all the necessary functions into the old hardware to make it fully compatible.
2) While VCDS does a lot/most of the details, the interface does a lot of low-level communication. Meaning both need to work together in order for things to play out.
3) You may get along fine with a HEX+CAN on the MQB Superb but we cannot guarantee it due to some options/modules on the MQB models which will require the newer interface generation.
4) You wouldn't loose anything, the only thing currently not implemented is support VW Crafter (2E) which is high on our todo list - which means it will be added eventually.

thanks for the swift reply and explanation

My suggestion: Hold off until you get the new car. Worst case is that there will be a few modules your HEX+CAN won't talk to, but this is by no means certain; it depends on how the car is equipped.

We recommend the newer interface to new customers with brand-new cars because it's the only way we can be certain what we're selling them will work with everything in their car, but there's no NEED for existing customers to upgrade unless/until they're working on a car that has one or more modules their existing interface can't handle.

Of course the HEX-NET does have a few advantages: The wireless capability with VCDS, VCDS-Mobile built in, and it's substantially faster when doing Auto-Scans on modern cars that use CAN for diagnostics, but these things are "nice to have", not "must have".

-Uwe-

cheers as usual a fair reply and not a sales pitch

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Interesting thread :confused:

I hadn't realised that newer cars were starting to have modules that the Hex USB CAN interface wouldn't be able to communicate with! :(

For myself and other Hex USB CAN owners, is it possible that someone can indicate roughly what cars [and years] that the USB version of the interface may have trouble reading please?

Thanks - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
For myself and other Hex USB CAN owners, is it possible that someone can indicate roughly what cars [and years] that the USB version of the interface may have trouble reading please?
The HEX+CAN will not be able to access a few modules in MLB-2 cars (currently only the B9 A4 and the new Q7). This means MY 2016 in Europe, MY 2017 in NAR.

The HEX+CAN may not be able to access some modules in MY 2016 and newer MQB cars, but this depends on how those cars are equipped. We've not seen any such modules in NAR models yet, but sporadically in European models that are loaded with lots of optional equipment.

Again, as an existing customer, I wouldn't let this bother me too much unless/until I actually encountered a car that has modules that the HEX+CAN can't talk to. Also keep in mind that we've always offered discounted trade-in upgrades to customers who require new interface hardware to support new model cars.

-Uwe-

Gizmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49193
I own a MY16 Superb L&K and my HEX+CAN works perfectly on it (as well as the other MY16 Superb L&K’s + SE L’s I have coded).

The only MY17 Superb I have coded (again a L&K) I didn’t even try my HEX+CAN as I have now got to the point where the HEX-NET is the preferred interface that I go to.... although the 09 longcode was all zero’s using 16.8.2, I am due to plug the car in again soon with 16.8.3 so hopefully will have the longcode available (also got a MY17 280 Sportline Superb to do when t arrives in the next few weeks)

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
the 09 longcode was all zero’s using 16.8.2, I am due to plug the car in again soon with 16.8.3 so hopefully will have the longcode available (also got a MY17 280 Sportline Superb to do when t arrives in the next few weeks)
I hate to break it to you but those 09 modules that show all zeros... They really do send all zeros and ODIS also shows all zeros.

That makes them a bit of a mystery, at least for the time being.

-Uwe-

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
The HEX+CAN will not be able to access a few modules in MLB-2 cars (currently only the B9 A4 and the new Q7). This means MY 2016 in Europe, MY 2017 in NAR.

The HEX+CAN may not be able to access some modules in MY 2016 and newer MQB cars, but this depends on how those cars are equipped. We've not seen any such modules in NAR models yet, but sporadically in European models that are loaded with lots of optional equipment.

-Uwe-

Thanks for that info. Uwe.

As a semi-retired [from IT] amateur who bought a HEX-CAN-USB only so that I could scan my D3 A8, some of that is 'above my head' but I can work out that it's only very new cars that won't work with the HEX+CAN-USB. :)

I occasionally scan other cars for 'beer money' so I was just looking to understand what I might not be able to scan.

When VCDS and a USB connect encounter one of the 'new' ECUs, is a message issued or is it just ignored?

Thanks & regards - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
When VCDS and a USB connect encounter one of the 'new' ECUs, is a message issued or is it just ignored?
At present, it's ignored.

-Uwe-

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
At present, it's ignored.

-Uwe-

Just been thinking about this :D

Presumably these will be CAN based vehicles with a gateway? So will the 'non scanable' ECUs appear in the Gateway list?

Julian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back