Access sensor data from Hex-Net mobile

Jeppe

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Mercury Diesel 4.2 TDI (based on an Audi diesel 4.2L V8). I consider buying the Hex-Net to be able to log data from all the sensors in the engine, especially exhaust temp. We are modifying the software to achieve more HP and higher RPM. Given the Marine application and high constant load at high speed I really need to keep of the exhaust temperature unless I want to melt my pistons...

One of my mechanics have an older cable and VCDS on a laptop and we which managed to get the necessary data with it but using a laptop in a high speed boat is very unpractical.

I want to make sure I can expect to log the same data on the mobile version before I order it or if there are any known limitations going from USB interface to Hex-Net.

Thank you for your support,
Jeppe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I want to make sure I can expect to log the same data on the mobile version before I order it
Probably. But let's try to be more sure. Can we get the ECU ID data shown by VCDS with the older cable please?

-Uwe-

Jeppe

Reaction score
Thank you Uwe, I believe the ID is: 4L0910409D

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thank you Uwe, I believe the ID is: 4L0910409D
As far as I can see, that ECU only has one measuring value for exhaust gas temp, at MVB 043.2, and it's somehow related to the oxygen sensor? Possibly a combined sensor? If that's what you've previously logged, then yes, a HEX-NET can log it.

TBH, if I was tuning this for a marine application, where it's likely to be run at high power levels for long periods of time, I think I'd install a dedicated EGT probe that I could monitor without needing a scan tool. Likely will cost less than a HEX-NET too.

-Uwe-

Jeppe

Reaction score
Thanks Uwe, We actually managed to get exhaust temp from both turbos on the cabled VCDS. This engine has two EDCs and there are one EGT per EDC. You are right that it would be nice with separate EGT monitoring but if we build the tune in a way where she maintains EGT, oil temp and coolant temp within limits even during long full power runs then I'm not to worried. Besides, according to volkswagen it will throw an alarm and reduce power when the temperature passes 720 degrees celsius. (Hope that works).

I appreciate the response, I think I have what I need to order the HEX-NET. Considering the money I spend to optimise my boat a HEX-NET is a cheap insurance.

Back