HN rebooting during ASAM update

WebCF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=166818
Hey!

I wanted to do a quick job without the notebook just with my phone and VCDS mobile. Failed, as usual 😂 (I never had any fun with VCDS mobile). I want to share my issue.

I wanted to access address 17. VCDS mobile offered an ASAM update, I agreed. But either during download or during verification step, I see the right LED blinking fast (as during booting) and my connection get lost. I can repeat this step every time.
Sometimes ALL LEDs remain solid red during boot, forcing me to reconnect OBD. Never seen that behavior before.

USB is working fine.

What steps are needed to give you more infos?

CB: 0.4643
FW: 0.257
CFB: 0.10
BL: 0.28
DS: 0...64

Thanks in advance!

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
This could be an issue with the SD card, to confirm it would be good to try this download via VCIConfig and see if it errors out.

JMR

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=432218
if i were ross tech i 'd kill the VCDS mobile , vcds works best with a laptop :) but i can see what the trend was when they added Mobile :)

WebCF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=166818
I tried VCIConfig and… it worked! Weird. Tested VCDS mobile update and even that resulted this time to „You are up to date!“

Anyway, I pulled out the sdcard, created an raw image and did a write/read error test. Which resulted in „no errors detected“. The card seems healthy.

I restored the image, did a chkdsk and installed it back to the HN.

Cleared RODs and connected to 17. same issue. Download seem to work but after reboot (I assume the reboot is normal since its an sdcard update?) the dialog never disappears. It always want that update.

So, sdcard seems ok. Whats next?

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
So that rod exists on our server, but records show your interface doesn't have it so I think VCIConfig did not know to request it. Please try this, do a full autoscan with mobile and skip downloading the rods with mobile, this will insure the full list of required rods is generated. Now check for updates with VCIConfig, see if it pulls the rod.

WebCF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=166818
But VCIConfig requested it? (Building sdcard update step). And after that, the mobile version does not tried any ASAM update. The rod was also present on the sdcard.

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand.
the mobile version does not tried any ASAM update.
Here you say that mobile stops trying the ASAM update.
But here:
Cleared RODs and connected to 17. same issue. Download seem to work but after reboot (I assume the reboot is normal since its an sdcard update?) the dialog never disappears.

You say it is still trying the download. Is it still trying the download every time you go to the 17, or has the issue changed?

WebCF

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=166818
initially, connecting to 17 offered an update which ends in a loop. This ASAM update was always tried everytime I hit „Check for updates“ button.

VCIConfig update succeded, and since that the „Check for update“ button told me „You are up to date“. Together with the fact that 3 files inside „rods“ folder existed told me, that VCIConfig method worked.

Then I cleared the rods with the „clear rods“ button. Since then the mobile updater started the update loop again.

So: the VCDS mobile ASAM updater is unable to complete.

Back