Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
My son just emailed me about his girlfriend's car. Pretty sure it's a 1.8 Bug (no turbo). He told me it was shifting lousy and that he had used a local OBD2 reader to get the above codes.

p1225 is ECT sensor short to ground. ECT is engine coolant temperature and from what I read with a quick google that is either a broken wire or the sensor itself is toast.

I don't see a huge problem with that one, but the other one was troubling.

p0722 is output shaft speed sensor.

From his email:
Her car has been trouble shifting at the right times and I would assume it's because of error #2. I feel the "sensor" is probably just loose. But I don't even have an idea where to look for it or what it looks like. The internet seems to imply "Don't worry, you don't need to replace your transmission, it's only $2000 to replace the sensor." F that. For $2000 I'd rather sense it with my appendages.

Yet another google search results in the likely candidate being one of the three speed sensors with 99% certainty it is the G68 sensor on top of the transmission.

Looks like support the transaxle and remove the mount, then lower it enough to reach G68 sensor. Under $100 and done.

Anyone else suffer from this malady?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Gee.... this reminds me of a recent one I saw with an Audi with coolant migration - sure hope that's not it.

Oh Jack.......

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
My son just emailed me about his girlfriend's car. Pretty sure it's a 1.8 Bug (no turbo).
Huh? I'm 99.44% confident there was no such animal in the US market. Non-Turbo, it would be a 2.0. 1.8T and TDI would be the other choices, and at some point, the 2.slow got replaced with the 2.5 inline-5.

What year is this car? What transmission does it have?

Posting generic OBD-II codes and guesswork as to what engine/trans is in the car here is a bit like advocating for a gold standard on TF. :p

-Uwe-

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
In the US market, there was no 1.8 non turbo. Uwe's educated guess for engine options is correct.

The P0722 Transmission Output Speed Sensor (G195): No Signal code... I'd start with a wiring harness inspection. Until an Auto-Scan is posted, not much in terms of details to be offered since we don't know the details about the car.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Right. I've asked him for clarification of car specs. I was assuming on powerplant. I just know both of them have whined that the bug was gutless as hell.

Sad because I used to drive 1.6 and 1.7 liter A1 body VWs and they were quite zippy. Damn good engine actually and stupid easy to work on.

I'll post up more as soon as he resurfaces.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This is most likely a 2.0 with 01M...........3 TSB's if you ask me.........

Be advised there is a TSB for overlay of both speed sensors including G195 harness back to ecu for 1.8T, 1.9T, and 2.0 for this condition including outside the USA for other power trains.
Take your pick.......for driveline.

Next time try the repair manual as an added search engine.........

www.erwin.vw.com

TSB 2.............Remove cluster and inspect for coolant at the cluster connector and install a service loop for coolant at the expansion tank.
If the ECT is black in color, it needs to be updated as per another TSB to the green one.........

vwtech

Verified Coal Cracker
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=7573
Jack do you have the TSB number for this? I'd like to read them.
Good Luck

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I do someplace and will look it up and get it to you along with part #s for the kits we stock from VW for overlay.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/4-Speed_Automatic_Transmission_(01M)

The 01M transmission has 3 speed sensors which are found in the repair manual however TSB 01-99-02 clearly describes the location and function of the sensors (G38/G68/G22).
## Vehicles with (G38/G68) specific speed sensor faults may have applicable TSBs for overlay wiring harnesses. ## Jetta and Golf (9M/1J) platforms would refer to TSB 01-07-09 for G68 faults and TSB 01-06-23 for G38 faults.
## New Beetle (1C) platform would refer to TSB 01-07-17 for G68 faults and TSB 01-07-16 for G38 faults

## The 01M transmission has a plastic speedometer drive gear inside the transmission which operates the driven gear connected to the G22 VSS sensor. When the transmission has internal failure of the drive gear the common concerns include inoperative cruise control and/or speedometer

This problem is not limited to the 01M and is in the 09G/A-rbage boxes............ referencing the stupid speed sensor issues for possible fluid contamination disrupting the signals of the sensor.
The same type of oil contamination, can cause such problems in engine speed sensors, which is why I always say to check for over filling.
This is also why the penetration of these fine synthetic lubricants bring to the table.......... the failure of timing chains, cam lobes and lifters etc.

Sure keep running it without changing it right, or add more because its better principle applies? :p

Many think I am crazy about not using the synthetics.........the few that did listen ........... still have engines..........

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
All those automatics should have the trans code grouped into a superseded trans code identifier of...... POS

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
As you had guessed, the car is a 2001 2.0 with four speed automatic.

Question: What is an "overlay wiring harness"?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
New wires that you install in parallel with suspect/dodgy ones.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back