Status
Not open for further replies.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
I was using it today to see if I could change something. I parked my Jetta by my house, left the ignition in "On" position (not "Run") with the HEX-NET plugged into the port. I went into my house and connected to the HEX-NET using Firefox 27.0.1 0n my iMac running Mac OS 10.7.5. I was able to connect and do an AutoScan, though it took several minutes (how long should it take?) and also was able to register on VCDS-Cloud. I was able to recode my Instrument Panel to display the time in 24-hour format. However during all this, I would get a "timed-out" or "no Internet connection" notice periodically; my other open Firefox tab did NOT lose it's connection to the Internet. It seems to be random as I didn't see any pattern. Sometimes just trying again made the connection other times nothing would happen when trying again.

Anyone else experiencing similar disconnects?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So your computer was inside your house, and the HEX-NET was outside, in the car right? How good is the WiFi signal where you have the HEX-NET? To determine this, leave the HEX-NET plugged into your car, and plug something that can run the Java config utility into the HEX-NET's USB port at the same time. Run the utility, click [Configure WiFi], select an unused profile, and click [Profile setup wizard]. After a few seconds, you should see a list of networks that the HEX-NET has found, along with signal strength percentages for each. If it finds multiple networks, it would also be interesting to know what frequency each one is on, but you'll need to use another device for that. For Android, I like this, but I'm not sure what to recommend for iOS.

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Yes, the car was about 15 feet from my iMac which is 25 feet from my router (making the car about 40 feet from the router). According to WiFi Explorer, the signal strength at the iMac is 78-80% with an SNR of 45dB on the 2.4 GHz Band in b/g/n mode. On the 5 GHz Band, in a/n mode the signal strength is 79% with a 47dB SNR. My house is wood frame with sheet rock inside and wood & vinyl siding so there isn't much barrier to WiFi signals.

The maker of WiFi Explorer DID have an iOS app named WiFi Analyzer, but had to remove it from the iOS App Store back in March 2010: http://www.adriangranados.com/blog/where-did-wifi-analyzer-go

I don't have anything that can run the Java config utility except my iMac; I did try to use it on my old PowerBook G4 but since that is PowerPC and not Intel, it didn't run.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
EDIT: BAH! clicked too late...

EDIT II: My DLC is so buried I ordered an OBDII extension to get HEX-NET up where it can 'see' the WiFi. I get zero signal without it from my house network.

For Android, I like this, but I'm not sure what to recommend for iOS.

Haven't found anything decent yet for iOS.

Since romad is on his iMac, I can recommend WiFi Explorer.
It's $2.99 on the app store, but worth it I think.

Not sure if 10.7.5 has App Store or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back