Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedRacerAZ

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=312337
I'm sure there could be many other causes, however this one has an extended warranty for the issue.

Audi issued a TSB on August 29th, 2013. TSB 2033768
A cylinder misfire fault (DTC P0301 – P0306) with DTC P130A is stored in the engine control module (ECM),
J623 (address word 01). Audi Solution: Call the TAC for further instructions.

Carbon buildup is restricting the flow of air to the cylinders, usually 5 or 6 to the point that they don't fire under heavy load.
The car gets multiple misfires due to the air/fuel mix being off significantly enough to cause the problem.

The good news. 2011 - 2013 3.0t motors have been issued a 10 year/120K mile extended warranty for the problem. Y
ou should get a DTC for P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306 showing the misfire and then a P130A.

It only happens under heavy load, if you clear the DTC the problem goes away and it drives normally again.
Clear the code, drive normally, readiness sets, no issues. Break 4K RPM under heavy load, DTC comes back.

Has anyone tried Meth/water injection to keep the issue from reoccurring?

Andy
AZ

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
OK, thanks...

Any more clues? tips on how to de-carbonise, if that could be the problem?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah........ wear long rubber gloves, eye protection & start scraping and scrubbing........... ;)

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
So, carbon buildup on valves, heads, pistons? or elsewhere? Seems unlikely IMO on a 22k mile engine? but I stand to be corrected.

Any cleaning products that can safely be added to fuel or intake? Not really wanting to strip the heads off.

Worth swapping the coilpack or plugs?

Any and all advice gratefully received...

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Visual inspect with camera or always do isolation basics through testing, such as compression or verifying components & stop seeking a magic answer.

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
OK thanks again, I will do some further examination but thought it worth asking before doing any major investigations, in case it may have been a 'known' problem, meaning I could have wasted time/money checking things unnecessarily?

I'm not expecting any magic, just thought someone might have been able to shed some light on it if they had previously seen similar or if the fault codes meant anything in particular? one of the purposes of a forum - I think...

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
OK thanks again, I will do some further examination but thought it worth asking before doing any major investigations, in case it may have been a 'known' problem, meaning I could have wasted time/money checking things unnecessarily?

I'm not expecting any magic, just thought someone might have been able to shed some light on it if they had previously seen similar or if the fault codes meant anything in particular? one of the purposes of a forum - I think...

It doesn't cost tons of money to do a firmware update, basic tests to isolate with swap of components to see if fault moves or in this case a mechanical compression test and running one.

It also doesn't cost tons of money to do a chemical remediation fog of the intake carbon," as a service" while running either or follow up oil change.

Why you split the thread is beyond me or are considering a meth injection ........and why Uwe didn't migrate them yet is puzzling.
Nope....... questions like this belong in retrofits or in a general repair because Water/Meth/Injection isn't VCDS related and clearly FOD.

So OP is this car FOD tuned already?

Last edited:

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
OK, maybe not a biggie to do firmware update but I know/knew nothing of this before asking and now still don't know what's involved - in your opinion, would this update help? if so how do I get it?

Similary with 'intake carbon' - not something I'm familiar with and I only 'split' the thread as I (later) found a thread on a similar topic which I thought was interesting and might help.

Don't know about meth injection or what FOD tuning is.

Maybe it's a language thing?...

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
OK, maybe not a biggie to do firmware update but I know/knew nothing of this before asking and now still don't know what's involved - in your opinion, would this update help? if so how do I get it?

Similary with 'intake carbon' - not something I'm familiar with and I only 'split' the thread as I (later) found a thread on a similar topic which I thought was interesting and might help.

Don't know about meth injection or what FOD tuning is.

Maybe it's a language thing?...

Go to dealer for update.........

FOD means as highlighted with cursor..... and I was asking is the car tuned to your knowledge, you know altered, modified etc.?

Qualified repairs start with the aid or use of the repair manual or ( RTFB ) as highlighted.
The first step in the RTFB is to observe OBD codes check connections with use of WD and do update programming if a TSB exists.

A TSB does indeed exist, so according to the OEM, the update may indeed help your situation.

See the JPPSG for good information and as a guide and RTFB at ERWIN.
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

My opinion is an irrelevancy, nor do you have it...........professional opinions cost coins with me, otherwise you get me as the asshole.

Oh yeah opinions are like assholes ........yup that's me! :rolleyes:

Dukedesmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=288946
OK, thanks. :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back