How To Identify ECU Software Version With VCDS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
My car is due to go to the dealer in the next few weeks for a service and while I intend to get them to sign an agreement form stating that they will not touch the engine ECU software on my car (I do not want them going anywhere near my car with the emissions fix software), I want before and after proof that they haven't done so. I've read that some owners have discovered that dealers have seemingly applied the engine ECU emissions fix software by stealth while their car has been in for a service even though the software update wasn't mentioned by the dealer or asked for by the customer.

Below is the Advanced Identification data for my engine ECU. Can anyone tell me which number is the ECU software version. Is it I3WF under the "Software" heading or the number 5763 that suffixes "Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG"? And will either of these change if a software update is applied?

Also, the current "Flash Status" indicates all zeros which suggests that the ECU has never had a software update applied. Is this information reliable and if a dealer was to do a software update on my engine ECU, would the numbers here change to something other than zeros?

Code:
Thursday,16,March,2017,15:19:54:55895
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 17.1.3.0 (x64)
Data version: 20170220 DS267.3
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: VSSZZZ1PZCRXXXXXX   License Plate: 
Mileage: 38390km-23854mi   Repair Order: 

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 03L 906 022 TP
  Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG  5763
           Software Coding: 0000078
            Work Shop Code: WSC 06402
                      VCID: 0603B34371FD7A71D3-8052

Advanced Identification
     Serial number:               
     Identification: RB8-658
     Revision: 13H14---
     Date: 16.11.11
     Test stand number: 1348
     Manufacturer number: 0042
Flash Status
     Programming Attempts: 0
     Successful Attempts: 0
     Programming Status: 00000000
     Required Conditions: 00000000
     Flash Tool Code: 00000 000 00000
     Flash Date: 00.00.00
Software
          I3WF   
Misc.
     Hardware number: 03L 906 022 GP
     Lot Number: 78 
     Type Lock:     
Car Info
     Chassis Number: VSSZZZ1PZCRXXXXXX
     Engine code: CEG
VCDS Info:
       Labels: 03L-906-022-CBA.CLB
       Readiness: No script available

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Personally, I would not consider the Flash Status all that reliable. I know tuners have been able to either prevent it from changing or to reset it, and I think we've seen cases where dealers flashed new versions into ECUs without the Flash Status changing as well.

However, emissions updates inevitably change the Software Part Number (in your case currently "03L 906 022 TP") and the software version as well (last digits of the Component field, in your case currently "5763").

In the case of a UDS control module (which yours is not), I would also expect the ASAM ID to change with the emissions update -- something that's given us fits at times...

-Uwe-

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

I've read that some owners have discovered that dealers have seemingly applied the engine ECU emissions fix software by stealth while their car has been in for a service even though the software update wasn't mentioned by the dealer or asked for by the customer.

- Here in the states, the Volkswagen and Audi dealers are "supposed" to have the owner sign a waiver from the manufacture releasing them from the liability of inadvertently flashing over the customers performance tune. :p

- Just doing a quick search I did not see any TSBs or other documents that would indicate there was an ECM flash update, so maybe they did not update it?.

- And when a Factory Scan tool does complete a flash update to a controller, the Workshop code, Importer and Equipment numbers will also change, that way the manufacture can trace back, if needed, to find the dealer/tool that performed the work/update.

Hope that helps,

drpeter

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Thanks guys :)

The main thing is that it looks like I do at least have some way to identify (prove) if the dealer has performed an ECU software update on my engine ECU after my car has been serviced by them.

To answer DrPeter's statement about no TSB's for my ECM, there is actually one here in Europe (it's the EA189 emissions "fix" update). It hasn't been applied to my car yet and I'm going to be doing everything in my power to stop anyone applying it, thus the reason I need to be able to use VCDS to prove if an update has taken place (or not) while my car has been in for a service.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Install a second stock ecu........or make a backup archive........

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Install a second stock ecu........or make a backup archive........

Nice idea...if you the expensive tools to hand and expertise to code in a second stock ECU, or to back up the software from an existing ECM :) Unfortunately I don't currently possess either.

For me it will be easier to just get an agreement signed by the dealer stating that they won't touch the software in my ECM, and in the event that they do, whether it be on purpose or accidentally, they either revert the change voluntarily without any fuss, or I take legal action against them.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
The emission software should come in software nr.997X. I'm not 100% certain, but after the update I've seen and read the software is 997x.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
The emission software should come in software nr.997X. I'm not 100% certain, but after the update I've seen and read the software is 997x.

Thanks for this :)

Is that the number which appears at the end of the "Component Version" as mentioned by Uwe earlier? (i.e. I would expect to see something like 997x appear where I currently have 5763, if the EA189 emissions fix software is applied).

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 03L 906 022 TP
Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 5763
Software Coding: 0000078
Work Shop Code: WSC 06402

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Yes, the identifier.

I Didn't find any matching flash files to P/N from VW Flash disc nor from VW server i have connection to.
So seems like if the software is to change, the P/N would also.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Yes, the identifier.

I Didn't find any matching flash files to P/N from VW Flash disc nor from VW server i have connection to.
So seems like if the software is to change, the P/N would also.

That is really useful information. Thank you so much for your help :thumbs:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well if you want send it to me for a forensic backup and lets get you maybe a second ECU since now TDI ecu's here are basically paper weights.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Well if you want send it to me for a forensic backup and lets get you maybe a second ECU since now TDI ecu's here are basically paper weights.

I appreciate the offer Jack so thanks for that :) I never even thought about looking across the pond for replacement TDI ECUs (or any other TDI parts for that matter) but I can see that the US could soon be a nice cheap source of used TDI components with the amount of TDI's effectively being scrapped over there. The only downside is shipping costs, and potentially import tax and duty...unless Mrs May can strike some kind of half decent post-Brexit trade deal with Don :D

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
If any of our UK or European members are interested, I drafted the following 2-page service agreement document for my dealer to sign when I my car goes in its service in 3 weeks time. I sent a copy to the dealer this afternoon asking if they would be prepared to sign such a document and to my surprise, they agreed to do so without any fuss or resistance :D

The dealer name goes in the blue rectangles and the customer name (you) goes in the green rectangles:-

2hic7bs.jpg

j7dlzl.jpg

Reactions: Uwe

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
My car went in for its annual service today. The dealer signed my agreement document (previous post) and assured me that they wouldn't touch the engine ECU software. I'm happy to report that a post-service VCDS scan confirms that the Advanced ID data is exactly the same as that in my first post of this thread so there is no evidence that the software in the engine ECU has been messed with.

At least I can now breath easy for another year without the worry that someone might ruin my car :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back