Successful battery change and coding - 2016 Skoda Fabia 1.2MPi

Chris1.21GW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=426851
I wanted to replace the battery in my 2016 Skoda Fabia 1.2 MPi. I changed the battery to a non VAG after market type and coded the car using VCDS. Here are some notes that may benefit others to do similar :)
  • The symptoms of the old battery failing were the start/stop function only working very infrequently and the car nagging about '12V battery almost empty'.
  • Old battery was a 59Ah EFB MOLL.
  • New battery was a 60Ah AGM YUASA. The change to AGM wasn't my original intention, but my motor factors had a good deal on. My understanding is that AGM technology provides superior performance for start/stop over EFB.
  • Whilst I changed the battery I didn't keep the 12V held up. The car didn't lose anything e.g. the radio code.
  • I disconnected the battery current sensor plug whilst I performed the battery change.
  • Looking at the auto-scan results I determined my J367 battery module was accessed through the can gateway 19 and using the UDS protocol.
  • I adapted the following channels:
    • UDS Adaptation Channel (15B): IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer Stored value MLA (I left this set to MLA because I didn't know if there was a 3 letter code for YUASA, and I also suspect this doesn't actually change anything the J367 module does).
    • UDS Adaptation Channel (15B): IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number Stored value MLA160318I (I incremented that last numeric to read MLA160319I - my understanding is this tells the J367 module to learn about the new battery).
    • UDS Adaptation Channel (15B): IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology Stored value EFB (Changed to Binary - AGM).
    • UDS Adaptation Channel (15B): IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity Stored value 59 Ah (Changed this to 60Ah).
  • I test drove the car with the new battery and no J367 adaptation - result was the start/stop didn't work, however the car cranked a lot quicker at key-start.
  • I test drove the car with the new battery after J367 adaptation - result was start/stop worked after 0.6miles/3mins town driving. I think this before/after adaptation test shows the process has worked.
  • Thanks to Ross-Tech for their high quality product & support :thumbs:

Mika_M

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=183725
Battery technology Stored value EFB (Changed to Binary - AGM).
FYI, factory setting in this channel for AGM batteries is "Fleece". Don't know if there is any difference or not between those.

• Agree
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
FYI, factory setting in this channel for AGM batteries is "Fleece". Don't know if there is any difference or not between those.
That's my understanding as well, and I have no clue what "Binary - AGM" is.

-Uwe-

Chris1.21GW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=426851
Thanks Mika_M & Uwe. I'll re-code as suggested.

rawrmcrawrrawr

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=286791
That's my understanding as well, and I have no clue what "Binary - AGM" is.

-Uwe-
Can I offer a suggestion to Ross-Tech? I see a lot of people selecting "Binary - AGM", when the correct setting for AGM batteries is "Fleece". In some of your competitors' products, "Binary - AGM" is listed as "Bipolar - AGM" instead. Is it possible to change the translation in VCDS from Binary to Bipolar so less people will make this mistake?

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can I offer a suggestion to Ross-Tech? I see a lot of people selecting "Binary - AGM", when the correct setting for AGM batteries is "Fleece". In some of your competitors' products, "Binary - AGM" is listed as "Bipolar - AGM" instead. Is it possible to change the translation in VCDS from Binary to Bipolar so less people will make this mistake?
I suspect people will still focus on "AGM", not whether it's "Binary" or "Bipolar".

-Uwe-

Back