Verified VCDS User
- Mar 6, 2021
- Reaction score
- VCDS Serial number
I wanted to replace the battery in my 2016 Skoda Fabia 1.2 MPi. I changed the battery to a non VAG after market type and coded the car using VCDS. Here are some notes that may benefit others to do similar
- The symptoms of the old battery failing were the start/stop function only working very infrequently and the car nagging about '12V battery almost empty'.
- Old battery was a 59Ah EFB MOLL.
- New battery was a 60Ah AGM YUASA. The change to AGM wasn't my original intention, but my motor factors had a good deal on. My understanding is that AGM technology provides superior performance for start/stop over EFB.
- Whilst I changed the battery I didn't keep the 12V held up. The car didn't lose anything e.g. the radio code.
- I disconnected the battery current sensor plug whilst I performed the battery change.
- Looking at the auto-scan results I determined my J367 battery module was accessed through the can gateway 19 and using the UDS protocol.
- I adapted the following channels:
- UDS Adaptation Channel (15B): IDE03256-MAS06107-Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer Stored value MLA (I left this set to MLA because I didn't know if there was a 3 letter code for YUASA, and I also suspect this doesn't actually change anything the J367 module does).
- UDS Adaptation Channel (15B): IDE03256-MAS06108-Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number Stored value MLA160318I (I incremented that last numeric to read MLA160319I - my understanding is this tells the J367 module to learn about the new battery).
- UDS Adaptation Channel (15B): IDE03256-MAS06106-Battery adaptation-Battery technology Stored value EFB (Changed to Binary - AGM).
- UDS Adaptation Channel (15B): IDE03256-MAS06105-Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity Stored value 59 Ah (Changed this to 60Ah).
- I test drove the car with the new battery and no J367 adaptation - result was the start/stop didn't work, however the car cranked a lot quicker at key-start.
- I test drove the car with the new battery after J367 adaptation - result was start/stop worked after 0.6miles/3mins town driving. I think this before/after adaptation test shows the process has worked.
- Thanks to Ross-Tech for their high quality product & support