Status
Not open for further replies.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
vreihen: I share your concerns. Our colleagues from "across-the-ditch" can't seem to get away from these types of events - far too regular occurrence!

Don

8r3SZsX.png

Data taken from HERE

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
And according to the UK news this morning many aftershocks since the 7.8 main shock and the related tsunami...

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Of course, the US mainstream news has no coverage of this. After all, it isn't causing devastation like you would see in Haiti or the Dominican Republic..... :banghead:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
https://www.yahoo.com/news/strong-earthquake-hits-zealand-145227479.html

Strong earthquake hits New Zealand

Yahoo News Photo Staff
November 14, 2016

New Zealand is planning to send in military helicopters and a navy ship to rescue about 1,000 tourists and hundreds of residents who remain stranded in the coastal town of Kaikoura after a powerful earthquake on Monday cut off train and vehicle access.

The magnitude-7.8 quake struck the South Island just after midnight. It left two people dead and triggered a small tsunami. It also brought down rocks and mud that swept across highways and cracked apart roads.

Home to about 2,000 residents, Kaikoura is a popular destination for travelers taking part in whale-watching expeditions or wanting a stopover with mountain views. But the quake knocked out water supplies and sewerage systems and left people with no easy way out.

“From all directions, Kaikoura has essentially been isolated,” Air Commodore Darryn Webb, the Acting Commander of New Zealand’s Joint Forces, told The Associated Press. “There’s a real imperative to support the town because it can’t support itself.”

Webb said the military planned to begin using four NH90 helicopters on Tuesday that could each transport about 18 people out of the town at a time. He said a ship was also leaving Auckland on Monday night that could potentially pick up hundreds of people if weather conditions allowed.

“We’re going to get as many people and belongings out as quickly as we can,” Webb said.

He said the weather forecast wasn’t looking great and the operation could take several days. He said that if needed, a C-130 military transport plane could drop fuel, water, food and other supplies to the town.

Elsewhere, strong aftershocks continued to shake New Zealand on Monday, rattling the nerves of exhausted residents. The country was largely spared the devastation it saw in 2011 when an earthquake struck the city of Christchurch and killed 185 people. That quake was one of New Zealand’s worst disasters, causing an estimated $25 billion in damage.

Monday’s quake caused damage in Wellington, the capital, and was also strongly felt in Christchurch. Residents said the shaking went on for about three minutes. (AP)

Reactions: Uwe

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I didn't feel it - Not my end of the Country.

On that list above the closest one was Taupo, and that's a good 5 hour drive away.

You have to feel sorry for the South Islanders - after the big Christchurch quake, there's been a lot of rumblings and rockings, that must get tiring pretty quickly - always wondering etc.

I wonder if it's related to the GIANT moon?

full-moon-ET-photo-1-570x380.jpg

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ yep - always happens when Spewey and gravity meet!!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Just tried some pictures this morning but still was cloudy..........

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
:banghead: Dam cloud cover hid the moon here last night..........

I saw it Monday morning, our time. About 5-30 AM on my way to work.

I was going to stop and take a picture, but it was going behind the hills so fast it was gone by the time I got anywhere I could stop OK. Plus it takes me about 5 minutes to get out of my n'72 Beetle anyway :-)

It was HUGE.

Reactions: Uwe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back