Not open for further replies.

passin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295101
Hello all,

Here is to the hope of becoming a new member of this community. I had a hand held unit I bought off of Amazon (VAG505) to do my brakes but that seemed to be all the thing would do for me so I'm hoping for a more feature rich system. A few questions before I bite the bullet and buy VCDS though...

1) Which unit will I need exactly to fully scan and edit modules on my 2010 VW Passat? I was looking at both the micro-CAN or the HEX-USB+CAN. A little insight, I'm also wanting to work on making my windshield wipers auto delay by turning this function off. Also my horn will not sound when I lock the vehicle, the panic button works and the alarm works perfectly fine.

2) I'm assuming this clears codes like a normal OBDII system on top of the CAN system, correct? Will I be able to clear codes on non-can systems like a normal OBDII scan tool? No big deal if not, just for reference.

3) I seem to be having issues with my windshield cleaning system. I replaced the motor to the liquid dispenser but it still will not engage. No clog on sprayers either. Will this system help me find if there is an electrical problem to this part?

I know some of these questions are a little out there, hopefully someone will have a wide knowledge base to help see if this is the right equipment for me before I spend $250+.

Thank you all in advance,
-Passin

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
1) A Micro-CAN is fine for that car. It's fine for all the cars listed here, but not any others.

2) It will clear codes (and do much more) on every diagnostic-capable system in the car.

3) Unclear. A scan-tool can only tell you what the car knows.

-Uwe-

passin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295101
Appreciate your quick response. Glad that the Micro-CAN is sufficient for this vehicle.

I did see at one point in my research a post about windshield wipers on the main Ross-Tech site but lost track of it. I will dig into it and make a real forum post about it when I get to that point I suppose.

As far as clear codes, I understand that it will do everything I need code wise for my VW but I also work on my families cars which are not VW. Will it by chance clear, for example, a GM check engine light via the OBDII plug? I should of been more clear about that in my previous post, my apologies.

Again, thank you for your help in choosing the best product for my needs. I will be making my purchase soon.
-Passin

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It *should* do generic OBD-II on other cars that do generic OBD-II via CAN (which should be all cars sold in the US since 2008). However, we do not make any guarantees on non-VW/Audi Group cars.

-Uwe-

passin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295101
Understood that guarantees can not be made since the product would be used in ways that it wasn't intended for. Glad that it could possibly have the chance of doing this, means I wouldn't need to invest in more devices which makes me a very happy individual.

Thank you again Uwe for your patience and help.

Much appreciated,
-Passin

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
In my little service, "i push the" Generic OBD-II function in other models, such as Alfa Romeo, BMW, Mazda, Mercedes, Nissan, Renault, Fiat etc... Last example Alfa GT, 1,9JTDm, 16v:

vqO4VNm.jpg

I like this function, help me many, many times. :thumbs: :cool:

passin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295101
Heads up to anyone else who reads this thread... The Generic OBDII does not scan other car makes for my version. Not a deal breaker by any means but putting that out there!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Heads up to anyone else who reads this thread... The Generic OBDII does not scan other car makes for my version. Not a deal breaker by any means but putting that out there!
What car(s) did you try on?

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back