Status
Not open for further replies.

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
Always remove rings when working around energized/electrical equipment and vehicles.

This is part of why instructions tell you to disconnect battery before working on vehicle.

roe3KWW.jpg

He was lucky it was a titanium ring, a gold ring would have cook the meat around the bone.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
As an electrical engineer who had to work in 480v+ power controls, I learned two things:

1. Never wear any jewelry!
2. Never use two hands - keep one on your belt behind your back! While you may get burned on one side should you get across the wrong stuff, you will likely live because the path will be from your hand to your feet as opposed to across the chest.

If working on hybrids, take the safety precautions really serious. Wear the special gloves! You life depends on it!

Last edited:

dubTECH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104757
Same thing happened to a work colleague, he now has a permanent ring around his finger where it melted the skin off him. He didn't disconnect the battery before reaching into a live wire for the starter motor to disconnect it. Instead his ring found the wire and the block at the same time!

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
This is one is a US Coast Guard story:

- We were told that if you insist on wearing a ring on your finger, you should cut/slit the backside of the ring so that in the event the ring catches on a line(rope) or object(ladder, etc..), the finger will not be removed from the hand, just the ring will.

- Or like above, do not wear it, just put your ring in a safe place,

drpeter - ex-sailorman

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Not limited to just rings... watches and any kind of bracelet should be removed to do any electrical work at 48V or higher. When playing with anything over 240V, despite the fact that I broke these safety rules all the time, I really would wear the safety gloves if I was still running my old business where we made all kinds of electrical controls. A life, a hand, is not worth the risk of doing something in a hurry. Gain a high level of respect for the damage that can be done by electrical power.

Why harp on this? With auto battery systems going to higher voltages to support all the electrical devices, those working on cars will be at risk. Few will realize how lethal 48v+ can be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back