Status
Not open for further replies.

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
I have a 1997 Porsche Boxster and I'd like to be able to read/clear the ODBII data from the car. Unfortunately, the cable doesn't fit the ODBII connector on the Boxster even though cheap ODBII readers do fit. It seems to almost fit, but there is something keeping it from sliding all the way on.

Suggestions? Is there an adapter somewhere?

Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't think we've had any other reports like that. Unless you can determine what's keeping it from sliding all the way on, I don't see how there's much advice we can give. Maybe post up some photos of that car's OBD-II socket?

-Uwe-

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
Welcome to the forum.

According to the Autoscan.txt VCDS will fit 9P, Porsche Cayenne, 92, Porsche Cayenne, A2, Porsche Cayenne NAR, 97, Porsche Panamera, A7, Porsche Panamera NAR.

The 16 pin EODB II socket is standard on loads of manufactures, whether Porsche use something different on the Boxster.

xobdii_port1070929671.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GdyXCBV7-t.jpg

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Keith, the Auto-Scan info is for latest model years - after Porsche has been getting cosier with VW/Audi. This topic is about a 1997 and mechanical issues sliding the connector onto the socket - i.e. unrelated to the pin-out. :)

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
I don't think we've had any other reports like that. Unless you can determine what's keeping it from sliding all the way on, I don't see how there's much advice we can give. Maybe post up some photos of that car's OBD-II socket?

-Uwe-

Boy, that was hard to get a picture of. It's almost impossible to get the camera down there, to see what you're doing and get any light in there.

In any case, here's a photo showing the '97 Boxster port (on top) and the Ross-Tech cable on the bottom:

boxster-odb2.jpg

I wonder if it is the bump on the top edge that's the problem and whether I should just file it down.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
I don't think that's a bump on the top edge, but rather a recess. It does look like the plastic trim around the port is really close to the top of it. Is it possible to loosen the screws that hold the port in place to center it better?

Edit: It looks like the plastic locking tab that we put on the bottom of our connector may be getting pushed down and blocking you from inserting it into the port. Some scan tools use thinner metal tabs or none at all.

Last edited:

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
When I originally posted this message, I was doing it from memory from the last time I tried. I didn't try it again, mostly because it is too tedious to boot my computer into Windows (I use Linux).

However, I just tried it again and here are the detailed results.

@Andy, you were correct. That's not a bump on top but a recess.

However, the plastic trim isn't that close (hard to tell from the picture) and the outside of the cable fits around the outside of the connector. It can even be pushed on, but only perhaps 2mm. If I hold the cable just right, lightly to the connector, the LED turns orange/green and then green. However, attempting to run the ODBII diagnostics results in "This car is not ODB II compliant" or something similar.

If I hold the cable just right, but with more pressure to the connector and try to run the ODBII diagnostics the display says "Protocol: ISO 9141" and the LED on the cable starts alternating blinking red then green then red then green.... It has continued like this for a couple minutes before my arm gets too tired and I can't hold it anymore and it becomes disconnected. At that point the software says "Couldn't proceed after too many communications failures."

Since I've seen my local mechanic's off the shelf ODBII tool (not Porsche made) work just fine on this car, I suspect that VCDS would work if I could just just get the damn cable on.

Thanks for your help so far. Any more suggestions?

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
Since I've seen my local mechanic's off the shelf ODBII tool (not Porsche made) work just fine on this car, I suspect that VCDS would work if I could just just get the damn cable on.

Thanks for your help so far. Any more suggestions?
Remembering back to when I paid my local mechanic to read the codes the last time when I discovered that the Ross-Tech cable wouldn't fit, I compared my cable to theirs and it seemed it didn't have all 16 pins. I wonder if one of the pins might be blocked by the connector. Or maybe the sleeves the pins fit into are slimmer than the Ross-Tech cable. I'll go back to my local mechanic and compare the cables again.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Hello James,

I too have a Boxster S 2002 - albeit a RHD one - but the ports are the same. You've just got to have a bit more confidence when connecting. I think the locating tab on the bottom of the OBD-II connector is just fractionally too large for the Porsche connector port. With a positive firm but gentle push, both of my interfaces (Hex-Net and Hex-USB+CAN) fit; and I use them for the exact same purpose you want to, so I confirm they work well.

Because the HN is newer, when removing from the port, it's eek :eek:, oomph :mad:, *CLUNK* <checks locating tab with finger> and all is fine. :)

I think it'll wear down with use.

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
You've just got to have a bit more confidence when connecting. I think the locating tab on the bottom of the OBD-II connector is just fractionally too large for the Porsche connector port. With a positive firm but gentle push, both of my interfaces (Hex-Net and Hex-USB+CAN) fit; and I use them for the exact same purpose you want to, so I confirm they work well.
Thanks, @Zenerdiode. I'll give it a try with more effort, but I already pushed so hard I was worried I was going to break something. You've given me the confidence to try again.

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
Thanks, @Zenerdiode. I'll give it a try with more effort, but I already pushed so hard I was worried I was going to break something. You've given me the confidence to try again.
No go with the added pressure. I pushed so hard that the ODBII socket moved inward half an inch, but still the connector wouldn't connect more than a couple mm.

I suspect maybe my 1997 (only one year after ODBII was made mandatory) might be different than your 2002.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Well, on the plus side, you're not missing out on much. I don't think you'd be able to do anything with VCDS that you couldn't do with a generic scanner on a '97 Boxster anyway. I highly doubt it's anything related to the pins or the shape of the port itself. Did you try removing the port from the car, let it dangle, and try plugging it in?

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yup, I think that's the next thing to do. Based on its color and appearance, I'm reasonably confident the socket from the same supplier that made/makes them for VW/Audi. That means the socket itself is certainly compatible with our plugs, and the most likely cause of the "incompatibility" is related to the way the way it's mounted.

Another possibility is that there's something blocking one of the individual pin sockets or (ostensibly "blank") holes. If you'd like, we'll snail-mail you a loose pin that you can try inserting into each of them one at a time to see if any of them is blocked.

-Uwe-

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
Yup, I think that's the next thing to do. Based on its color and appearance, I'm reasonably confident the socket from the same supplier that made/makes them for VW/Audi. That means the socket itself is certainly compatible with our plugs, and the most likely cause of the "incompatibility" is related to the way the way it's mounted.

Another possibility is that there's something blocking one of the individual pin sockets or (ostensibly "blank") holes. If you'd like, we'll snail-mail you a loose pin that you can try inserting into each of them one at a time to see if any of them is blocked.

-Uwe-
It is clear that it is not getting hung up on anything surrounding the socket -- there is nothing nearby that might cause problems and it feels as if it is being blocked in the middle. (Also, it feels like if you rock the cable side-to-side, each side can move down while something in the middle is blocking it.)

I wouldn't mind getting a loose pin for this idea: I tried this already using a toothpick, but the shape wouldn't let it go in far enough on any pin socket. DM me and I'll send my US mail address, if you don't already have it. Thanks!

--Jim--

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are you still in the same place we shipped your interface to 5 years ago?

-Uwe-

smokey08

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120732
Does the car have a tracker fitted? I have fitted many OBD2 style trackers that have a Y cable which replaces the oem socket. Porsches use exactly the same Y cable as VAG. It may be worth checking that there is not 1 on these (with a badly copied socket) tucked up above the panel.

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
Are you still in the same place we shipped your interface to 5 years ago?

-Uwe-
Yes, my address is the same. Thank you. 01719

jjd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112478
Does the car have a tracker fitted? I have fitted many OBD2 style trackers that have a Y cable which replaces the oem socket. Porsches use exactly the same Y cable as VAG. It may be worth checking that there is not 1 on these (with a badly copied socket) tucked up above the panel.

I'm not sure what a "tracker" is, but I've owned this car since new 18 1/2 years ago. There has never been anything in the ODBII socket other than for temporary diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back