airbag.jpg

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
Thanks for the info guys :)

Looking forward to the wheel upgrade soon when I can afford to buy the parts..

passatmotion

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=47798
@golfi-vend: airbag will open, someone I have know on a forum had a car accident in 2011 with same set up and the airbag was open. -car was total loss-
Sorry for the late reaction had an PC hardware issue.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
@golfi-vend: airbag will open, someone I have know on a forum had a car accident in 2011 with same set up and the airbag was open. -car was total loss-
Sorry for the late reaction had an PC hardware issue.
I'm not saying that it's not opening, what I'm saying you may have problem with correct deployment. Check SSP 339 for further details. It's just that i was
in a accident where i broke 8 ribs and was in machine helped breathing for 2 weeks. Car didn't open any airbags and as it was used car there wasn't much detail of the history.
So you would guess I take airbag stuff seriously. I have a scar in my throat to remind me this event.

passatmotion

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=47798
The SSP 339 is for Passat from 2005 till aug2008 from sept2009 are the steeringwheel 1stage same as Passat CC that is de reason I give a p/n of the wiring and of course if you play with another steeringwheel you play with the safety and aibags to.

A lot of People deactivated the seatbelts what the same is that you deactivate the airbag. Because the airbag open only if there is a person on that seat and the sensor is in the seat what seatbelts also use what a lot of people deactivate. By deactivation of the seat belt or not wearing, the airbag will not open or in the wrong delay time
Other causes may also by defective sensors or not the correct insufficient data to the module.

a two-stage airbag is dependent on weight of the person. the sensor mat in the seat measures the weight.
which is low, the 1st is activated. Is the weight above example 100kg is activated the 2nd.
Of course, it not only depends on these factors.

When the airbag sensors measure a deceleration that is higher than 12meter / sec, the Sensors give a signal to the airbag module. This will activate the airbag.
12m/sec is about 50km/h impact. (and not driving speed.)
A max break of you car is with good breaks 6-7m/sec and sportcars 8m/sec.
So when you drive 70km/h an go in full breaks at 7m/sec (70km/h - ca25km/h=45km/h) than you have the impact that also slowing down than is the speed by the sensor perhaps 35a40km/h and so no open airbags.
Sometime depending of other factors angle etc the airbag opens.

This description is broadly, there are multiple factors such also as G-force, forward or lateral collision and seat position. And never use airbags or seatbelts from a accident car because it is properly blocked on the safety and will not work as possible by a new accident.

And also bad a lowered car, what causes that the sensors to work incorrectly.
Of course you are right that playing with the airbag remains dangerous and so at your own risk.

Eddie-NL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=41179
I'm not saying that it's not opening, what I'm saying you may have problem with correct deployment. Check SSP 339 for further details. It's just that i was
in a accident where i broke 8 ribs and was in machine helped breathing for 2 weeks. Car didn't open any airbags and as it was used car there wasn't much detail of the history.
So you would guess I take airbag stuff seriously. I have a scar in my throat to remind me this event.

why would you
Airbag module would send +voltage down both wires to stage one and stage two

stage one would deploy (newer airbag would deploy)
stage two is not needed as newer airbag doesn't require this, only old airbag

AKL R36

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=152211
Hey kamold, fyi I have the same setup as yours, I've been using the 9W7 module for last 5 plus years, like you I can't control via the steering wheel switches. Now I've just replaced my 9W7 module to 3C8035730E module, for the first time i can control via steering wheel switches. I don't have to replace anything else

Reactions: Uwe

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
Thanks for that info AKL R36!

Didn't realise that unit resolved our compatibility issue.
I'm still going to go down the route of upgrading the steering wheel as I had wanted to do that anyway.
But great to know there is a suitable module that doesn't require it as I have some other owners waiting on my report.

AKL R36

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=152211
Hi kamold,

I was going to go down that route. Upgrading steering wheel & controller just to make phone module work with steering switches, but more i research i do the less i want to go down that track, as you aware that VW changed from 2 stages airbag to single stage airbag but not sure when, for that reason alone I want to keep all the safety features as standard as possible.

Anyway let us know how you go & good luck

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
I think the wheel looks a bit old, I much prefer the style of the newer R flat bottom wheel.
I am swapping both the steering wheel and airbag, plus steering controller, so the airbag issue is not going to play into at all.

Not going to do it for a few months as I need to save up the money first :)

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
make some vide how you operate cluster from MFSW , this cost you nothing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back