Is it possible to see factory specs in UDS

elqwan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407579
My 2016 tiguan is UDS and I noticed that with vehicles that have non UDS modules, when you go into block monitoring you can move the cursor over your current value and it will show you what the value or the value range should be. With UDS it seems that this is not possible.

Is it possible or I am just missing something? Or perhaps the specific values I have been looking at just dont have a specific value or range. Could that be?

Thanks

Paul

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
It might help if you tell what specific measuring blocks you are looking at.

elqwan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407579
For example I was looking at DPF sensor pressures and soot mass. Not knowing what a reasonable level of soot mass should be or pressure the sensor is seeing, its hard to determine if what I am seeing is normal or out range. I figured it is good for diagnosing problems if you could see right away what the spec should be. I am sure the spec is in a manual, but I just noticed in some youtube videos, the people who have non UDS modules, were able to move their cursor over their value and it would show the spec or range.

The entire layout of the Non UDS measure blocks is much nicer than the UDS

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The entire layout of the Non UDS measure blocks is much nicer than the UDS
In some ways it is, and in some ways it isn't.

On older, non-UDS modules, the reason you see "factory specs" (which are by no means universally available on those modules) is because we were able to find them in various factory documentation and added them to VCDS. That was pretty straight forward when control modules were simpler and had only a few dozen measuring blocks, and, VAG was more forward with the documentation they made available. Now, with even the simplest UDS ECUs having 500-1000 measuring values, and no real documentation available anywhere, it's no longer practical for us to do that.

-Uwe-

elqwan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407579
In some ways it is, and in some ways it isn't.

On older, non-UDS modules, the reason you see "factory specs" (which are by no means universally available on those modules) is because we were able to find them in various factory documentation and added them to VCDS. That was pretty straight forward when control modules were simpler and had only a few dozen measuring blocks, and, VAG was more forward with the documentation they made available. Now, with even the simplest UDS ECUs having 500-1000 measuring values, and no real documentation available anywhere, it's no longer practical for us to do that.

-Uwe-

Uwe,

Well thanks, that really clears it all up and explains it clearly.

I still need to download the Erwin documentation, but will the repair manuals and other relevant documentation provide the factory specs in order to compare values?

Paul

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I still need to download the Erwin documentation, but will the repair manuals and other relevant documentation provide the factory specs in order to compare values?
I rather doubt it. They hide all that stuff in their own scan tool these days and the values they have even in that will usually be just the ones that are relevant to a particular fault that they have "guidance" for.

-Uwe-

Back