Status
Not open for further replies.

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
Judging by the VIN, you have a late production 2006 (as in when this car was produced, the gas engines were already transitioned to being 2007 model year production... kind of a long story, but VW made Mk5 BRM engine TDIs through Dec. 2006 as "2006 model year cars whereas all the gas engines had already been switched to 2007 production months prior).

Anyway, the wiring diagrams break things up into production month but also High and Low Ebox/options packages. Pretty sure most of the Mk5 TDIs were High optioned. I can't even remember seeing a Mk5 BRM without heated seats and with cloth... or without a sunroof for that matter.

So, with that in mind, here's what the high Ebox says about the SC fuse panel fuses in question (SC being the panel side of dash).

12 - SC12 - Fuse 12 (on fuse panel C) 10A - J386 - Driver’s Door Control Module
J387 - Front Passenger’s Door Control Module
13 - SC13 - Fuse 13 (on fuse panel C) 10A - E1 - Light Switch
J603 - Vehicle Position Recognition Control Module
T16 - 16-Pin Connector, under instrument panel, left, Data Link Connector (DLC)
(T16/16)
-
14 - SC14 - Fuse 14 (on fuse panel C) 10A - J255 - Climatronic Control Module
J301 - A/C Control Module
J587 - Selector Lever Sensor Control Module

24 - SC24 - Fuse 24 (on fuse panel C) 20A - J388 - Left Rear Door Control Module
J389 - Right Rear Door Control Module
J393 - Comfort System Central Control Module

SB fuse panel under hood:

F2 - SB2 - Fuse 2 (on fuse panel B) 30A - J104 - ABS Control Module 30
F6 - SB6 - Fuse 6 (on fuse panel B) 15A - N276 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve
F18 - SB18 - Fuse 18 (on fuse panel B) 30A - J525 - Digital Sound System Control Module
F19 - SB19 - Fuse 19 (on fuse panel B) 15A - J503 - Radio/Navigation Display Control Module
R - Radio
R146 - Satellite Radio

Some of your readings aren't quite adding up, though. Your measurements are adding up to a much higher mA draw total than what you had measured previously. A revisiting of either the methods or the calibration of your meter might be needed.

Another good thing to check is measured values in the central electrics module and ensure that the S contact circuit is actually being turned off. Also, if a cable is plugged into the DLC, it can add 15 mA or so to a draw reading.

kglasgow

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261451
Judging by the VIN, you have a late production 2006 (as in when this car was produced, the gas engines were already transitioned to being 2007 model year production... kind of a long story, but VW made Mk5 BRM engine TDIs through Dec. 2006 as "2006 model year cars whereas all the gas engines had already been switched to 2007 production months prior).

Anyway, the wiring diagrams break things up into production month but also High and Low Ebox/options packages. Pretty sure most of the Mk5 TDIs were High optioned. I can't even remember seeing a Mk5 BRM without heated seats and with cloth... or without a sunroof for that matter.

So, with that in mind, here's what the high Ebox says about the SC fuse panel fuses in question (SC being the panel side of dash).

12 - SC12 - Fuse 12 (on fuse panel C) 10A - J386 - Driver’s Door Control Module
J387 - Front Passenger’s Door Control Module
13 - SC13 - Fuse 13 (on fuse panel C) 10A - E1 - Light Switch
J603 - Vehicle Position Recognition Control Module
T16 - 16-Pin Connector, under instrument panel, left, Data Link Connector (DLC)
(T16/16)
-
14 - SC14 - Fuse 14 (on fuse panel C) 10A - J255 - Climatronic Control Module
J301 - A/C Control Module
J587 - Selector Lever Sensor Control Module

24 - SC24 - Fuse 24 (on fuse panel C) 20A - J388 - Left Rear Door Control Module
J389 - Right Rear Door Control Module
J393 - Comfort System Central Control Module

SB fuse panel under hood:

F2 - SB2 - Fuse 2 (on fuse panel B) 30A - J104 - ABS Control Module 30
F6 - SB6 - Fuse 6 (on fuse panel B) 15A - N276 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve
F18 - SB18 - Fuse 18 (on fuse panel B) 30A - J525 - Digital Sound System Control Module
F19 - SB19 - Fuse 19 (on fuse panel B) 15A - J503 - Radio/Navigation Display Control Module
R - Radio
R146 - Satellite Radio

Some of your readings aren't quite adding up, though. Your measurements are adding up to a much higher mA draw total than what you had measured previously. A revisiting of either the methods or the calibration of your meter might be needed.

Another good thing to check is measured values in the central electrics module and ensure that the S contact circuit is actually being turned off. Also, if a cable is plugged into the DLC, it can add 15 mA or so to a draw reading.

Dieseldub - I had pulled some of the suspect fuses before you posted to see if i could tell what didn't work and although that method does not identify everything your list seems spot on . Huge help, thanks. Do "J" numbers signify individual circuits that the fuse powers?

Regarding measurements not adding up, i am in process of rerunning the test to verify so i will post results soon. I got a hold of a calibrated DVM from work, Fluke 87, so i'll use that.

Can i make the assumption that control modules that have current draws that are cycling to 0mA, even momentarily, are not the root cause and may be due to being woken up by something else? If so, then this narrows down the list of suspects to just 2 fuses, F12(driver/passenger door control module) or F2(Under the hood ABS control). I can imagine that ABS is a critical function that may be designed to be "awake" which means that F12 is the root cause that is waking everyone else up. I would be interested to understand if this is the case.
Again, thanks for your valuable information, very helpful.

kglasgow

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261451
I have been searching for a drivers door harness but no luck. I am interested in a new door harness if you have one. You can contact me at kglasgow41@hotmail.com with the details.
Thx

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Complete door harness You can order at VW dealer by Your VIN (door harnesses have a lot of modifications according equipment)
I use repair kits instead of replacing whole harness. Not sure, this company offers shipment to US or have local distributors there. Very good quality repair kits - extra flexible wires in silicone insulation. Much more better than OE wires. Product You may need.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I agree with Mr. X. ,however, I just do my own W crimps for even cheaper & since all parts are usually re usable.

I have to check but I think I have that whole door harness.

kglasgow

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261451
I agree with Mr. X. ,however, I just do my own W crimps for even cheaper & since all parts are usually re usable.

I have to check but I think I have that whole door harness.

I would be interested in the whole door harness, let me know the cost. Thanks

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Vehicle Identification No.3VWDT71K06M019877
ModelJetta
JEM
Date of production09.08.2006
Model year2007
Sales type1K2733
Engine CodeBRM
Transmission CodeHXU

Emission standard7GJEmission standard TIER 2

PART NUMBERDESCRIPTIONREMARKMODEL
* 1K5 971 120 T harness for door
Dropped on Nov 1, 2018, without replacement (EKZ: O)

I have them new Genuine and restrung too with your core harness required in advance and un-tampered or molested during removal.

It is best to send me yours in advance to determine all plugs are as specified with continuity.

The contact form is in my signature......

kglasgow

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261451
Vehicle Identification No.3VWDT71K06M019877
ModelJetta
JEM
Date of production09.08.2006
Model year2007
Sales type1K2733
Engine CodeBRM
Transmission CodeHXU

Emission standard7GJEmission standard TIER 2

PART NUMBERDESCRIPTIONREMARKMODEL
* 1K5 971 120 T harness for door
Dropped on Nov 1, 2018, without replacement (EKZ: O)

I have them new Genuine and restrung too with your core harness required in advance and un-tampered or molested during removal.

It is best to send me yours in advance to determine all plugs are as specified with continuity.

The contact form is in my signature......

I'm ok with removing the harness from the vehicle for verification, can you let me know what the cost would be beforehand? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back