Status
Not open for further replies.

oregonvw

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=341971
Read on some forum, some thread where it was casually stated that changing an ECM coding from Volkswagen to Audi is the best DIY performance increase just shy of a custom tune.

Briefly tried this and then returned my ECM back to Volkswagen. Yes, there is a real definite nice improvement however there is significantly more soot. (a lot more soot) [tons more soot]. Get my hint?

Inverse correlation--
More NOx == Less Soot
More Soot == Less NOx
(and yes, a hidden dieselgate experience)

My realm is only with the EA288 engine. There was never a need nor desire to change anything on my previous TDI ('14 Passat). Audi & Volkswagen both use the EA288 engine however the emissions systems are designed differently. Don't want to speculate on conjecture as to all the reasons why. Audi EA288 engines will have a different DPF that is in a different location than found on VWs with the same engine.

More Soot ==
  • Less DPF Life
  • Hotter Regens (potentially more of them too)
  • More Exhaust Pressure
  • More crap squishing past cylinder rings and getting stuck in oil
  • More carbon from EGR valve/system
  • Less Turbo Life
  • Less NOx

Once reaching normal operating temp, additional heat is the enemy. Your DPF is a little inferno of joy & love. Audi makes more soot and thus has a different DPF in a different location.

If one is worried about Soot in their post Dieselgate vehicles, I would recommend getting an "Off-Road" tune that focuses on the "maximum life of vehicle" (and it's respective parts). Don't say anymore and provided one doesn't completely delete their EGR/DPF/AdBlue systems, their EA288 should still pass emissions just like it rolled off the factory floor. [performs & sounds more like my '14 Passat too, not that I would know =]

Cheers,
G

*How many TDI owners have actually read all their Dieselgate paperwork (including the Federal/CA[RB] emissions requirements), how many have actually studied the data tables? Okay, I don't have the time/desire to discuss NOx or Soot issues/arguments/religions/etc.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Silly question: How did you measure soot when the car presumably has a DPF? ;)

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back