Not open for further replies.

findalex

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95887
Hi,

Is it possible to check timing with VCDS on a 2009 Audi (USA) with 2.0 TSI EA888 CBFA engine? I have a 1.9L TDI ALH that I can check timing easily, and since I'm doing the timing chain tensioner update this weekend, I was curious if there is a similar function for the 2.0 TSI engine.

Thanks!

Alex

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The ALH (and similar) distributor-pump TDI engines had a "analog" (stepless) adjustment of the pup timing that necessitated such a check. This was much like an old-school gasoline engine with an ignition distributor that you had to turn a bit to get the ignition timing just right. I don't think there's anything stepless in the EA888 engine, is there?

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
The ALH (and similar) distributor-pump TDI engines had a "analog" (stepless) adjustment of the pup timing that necessitated such a check. This was much like an old-school gasoline engine with an ignition distributor that you had to turn a bit to get the ignition timing just right. I don't think there's anything stepless in the EA888 engine, is there?

-Uwe-

Nope but he could measure for chain slack and do an inspection of link counts visually and adjuster using the RTFB.........

The adjuster function he could check in VCDS in basic settings.

Reactions: Uwe

findalex

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95887
May I ask, which group/function in basic settings to check the adjuster function?

findalex

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95887
Check for Tming Chain Stretch on EA888 Gen2 2.0 TFSI

There are instructions on youtube for checking timing chain stretch via VCDS for TSI engines. It's Engine module, group 93 Phase position intake Bank 1.

Does this work for my 2013 Audi A5 as well? The engine code is CPMA. Also, what is the acceptable range?

Thanks!

Alex

Last edited:

theiceman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=348497
Actually timing can be checked with VCDS and is precisely why i bought it.
since OP is changing timing chains i am assuming he means cam timing. you can see how much the cam phaser is adapting to offset for chain stretch.

go into advanced measurement options and choose locations
IDE00178, 179,182

it will tell you specified cam , actual cam and how many degrees are being compensated for, anything above 6 is replacement, anything above 7 is a time bomb. |i was 8.25.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
It would be foolish to rely on such a reading, as a test and fails to address a possible deviation in oil psi.

Mechanical tests for oil and chain timing are always the safest.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Threads merged.

-Uwe-

theiceman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=348497
Tbis is a valid test as you are measuring orders if magnitude. 1 degree vs 6 or 7. Additionally if you had such an issue that you had not enough oil pressure at idle sfter warmed up to move the cam phaser you have much bigger issues. It has been proven over and over that cars in the 5-8 degree range drop to 0-2 range after timing change. Audi and Porsche use this to determine chain stretch so its good enough for me.
Also you have to understand the data you are looking at. Cam specified and actual are displayed. When they are very close it tells you the cam phaser was able to adapt which tells you oil pressure was fine and allowed phaser to do its job. The adaption tells you how much it had to adapt based on cam sensor input and is independant of any oil pressure and is unrelated.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I respectfully disagree and oil can be in an over psi state not just under and than there are spring factors within adjusters. Many are relying on blocks to do readings and the result is a block value in specification and resulting in it being dismissed and the engine going grenades.
Of course the OE will use the most evasive test as a guide & because it takes much more time/money to do a test right!
History has already proved me being correct.

FACT:
Often FOD tuners are shutting down tests or base adaptions to show that something is adapted when it isn't.

Don't trust VCDS to report any different data when VCDS only reports the data as displayed by the controller diagnostic stack data dictionary and which is set in the flash by the oem or tuners.

If someone tampers with an actual or specified table as how it is interpreted, it can indeed show you false information & through VCDS as a conduit.

JPPSG

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...uot-JPPSG-quot&p=147220&viewfull=1#post147220

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back