Proof is in the pud... cable? Is it special?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tijgert

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=347454
Hello all, newbie Ray here.

Just ordered me a 10 Vin HEX-V2 and was wondering about a couple of things.

I read that to upgrade to unlimited Vins I'd need a new cable.
But does that really mean just the USB cable or also the box it plugs into?
Thing is, the cable (from pics, I don't have mine yet) looks like just some generic USB cable.
Is it? Or does it have something special inside somewhere?

To follow up on that; Cables do die from unintended misuse sometimes.
Would I then just buy a new cable (and then also go for the upgrade) or would I have to return the mauled one?
And can I do that or would that cable be considered invalidated for upgrade? (I think I'd have to return it or something?)

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Where exactly did you read that you would need a new cable? Because that's incorrect.

Reactions: Uwe

tijgert

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=347454
Where exactly did you read that you would need a new cable? Because that's incorrect.

Hi, well had I known it to be false I might have remembered where I read it, but as I didn't give it too much attention I don't recall where that was.
So you're saying the cable actually IS as generic USB cable (maybe with that fancy screw attached to it) and that I'd have to trade in the HEX-V2 itself?
Or is it an online licensing thing that just sets a certain bit when it checks online to see if I'm legit? (I'm a poet and didn't know it)

tijgert

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=347454

I did, that's the thing. It doesn't state how that upgrade is done, software, hardware, which part of it.
And with the faulty info I got from somewhere this is not being contradicted this way, so the question actually remains (though I'm now guessing it's a flipped bit).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I did, that's the thing. It doesn't state how that upgrade is done, software, hardware, which part of it.
And with the faulty info I got from somewhere this is not being contradicted this way, so the question actually remains (though I'm now guessing it's a flipped bit).
It's more than a flipped bit. We generate a new license specific to your interface on our server and send you a code. This code, when entered into the VCIConfig Utility, causes your interface to fetch the new license from our server. Then you have unlimited VINs.

The USB cable that detaches from the interface is just a custom made USB cable with an added locking screw. Should you damage it, you can use any old USB-A to USB-B cable instead. However, the interface itself (the part that plugs into your car) is is anything but "generic".

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back