Not open for further replies.

T-CUT

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205609
Hi

I've done what I think is right, the wiggle test. What I can't understand is, I'm getting perfect radio reception and satellite position are good. The CD player is working fine. The only thing that's wrong, what I can see anyway is; I have to turn the stereo on and off and the illumination of the stereo doesn't come on, when I turn my lights on. Is this because of my Can-bus issues?
Any help would be greatly received.

Alan

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yes if the CAN message isn't present it won't dim the illumination.......or the lead for lights is MIA and should be looked for in WD.
Not sure if the head unit would support a analog dimmer circuit......
See if it is marked out on unit and send it a signal of voltage from light circuit.......
Most AFT radios have this function and it might be there even though it may not be observed in repair information.

T-CUT

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205609
Hi

The plot thickens.
I've just had a auto electrician out to my car. To see if he could help me with my problem. He told me that my car is on/using K-LINE and not Can-bus. The Can-bus wires to the back of the stereo are dead, no current. The stereo which was a factory fit, uses Can-bus. I've checked that the stereo did in fact come fitted to the car when new. I also asked the parts section, whether my car as Can-bus or K-line and he said that it unsure about what the car as got. Can someone please help me. Should my car have Can-bus or K-line
Again Thank you in advance

Alan

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Both. Diagnostics will happen over K-line, but the radio's live commands and information to/from the rest of the car, like power up/down, illumination, speed-dependent volume and such will arrive over CAN.

T-CUT

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205609
Both. Diagnostics will happen over K-line, but the radio's live commands and information to/from the rest of the car, like power up/down, illumination, speed-dependent volume and such will arrive over CAN.

How do I get my Can-bus to work? If I sound thick I'm sorry, I'm new to all this.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
How do I get my Can-bus to work? If I sound thick I'm sorry, I'm new to all this.
Same way we identified earlier in this thread. You'll need a wiring diagram. Identify the CAN bus wires in the radio harness by pin position and/or color. They are missing or broken in some manner, quite possibly from the work done to hardwire your previous aftermarket radio. Bear in mind they may have been put back in the wrong pin positions, or not put back at all, or patched using the wrong color wire. Basically, look with great suspicion upon anything that appears to have been modified from factory. Fix that, and you'll be in business. If your "auto electrician" can't track that down for you, you need a different one.

Jason

T-CUT

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205609
Same way we identified earlier in this thread. You'll need a wiring diagram. Identify the CAN bus wires in the radio harness by pin position and/or color. They are missing or broken in some manner, quite possibly from the work done to hardwire your previous aftermarket radio. Bear in mind they may have been put back in the wrong pin positions, or not put back at all, or patched using the wrong color wire. Basically, look with great suspicion upon anything that appears to have been modified from factory. Fix that, and you'll be in business. If your "auto electrician" can't track that down for you, you need a different one.

Jason

Cheers Jason

I downloaded a lot of files Erwin, but I can't seem to find the right wiring diagram. Again if you could point me in the right place, that would be great. The Can-bus wires are present, but have no current.
Again I apologise for any inconvenience.
Alan

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I downloaded a lot of files Erwin, but I can't seem to find the right wiring diagram.

Look for Wiring Diagrams and Component Locations, I think it's under the pulldown under the model

ps- Never an inconvenience, we're all here to help each other :)

Last edited:

T-CUT

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205609
Don't test for voltage................ test from end to end for continuity from module and between each component following the WD tree..........

Following the can-bus wires from the back of the stereo. Where do I go to to check for continuity please. I've tried to find a wiring diagram, still not able to find one. If anyone as one, or could download it for me, I'll pay all costs involved. I just want to get it sorted lol

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back