Advice on weaponry

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Was it a tacticool black chair? Those are the most deadly. You can actually whack someone repeatedly without reloading.

Reactions: Uwe

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/emergency/three-shot-two-dead-in-whangarei-shooting/
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11895435

Three shot, two women dead, house on fire in Whangarei shooting:

Image taken from MY road! I can see the hills it's on from my dining room - maybe a mile and a half away!
1501047957552.jpg

This is where my 5 and 7 year old stopped on the school bus, and watched the helicopter land (They were stoked! :facepalm:)
346DMIYUJNCHBGKRRIJ56P5WRM.jpg

UPDATED 5.20pm Two women had gone to a home to carry out a property inspection when they were shot and killed near Whangarei, police have revealed.

Police are addressing media after the women - who were related - were shot at a rural Northland address.

A man was also shot.

Tear gas was used and shots were fired between the alleged offender and police.

They believe the man is still at the house but it is unclear if he is alive.

Police said the incident was not gang related.

About 11am, police and the Armed Offenders Squad were called and cordoned off the area, on Mt Tiger Rd about 10km from Whangarei.

Two people were feared dead and a man was in a stable condition in Whangarei Hospital with moderate injuries.

This afternoon, the house was on fire. Witnesses described seeing big plumes of black smoke.

I haven't heard who the two Women are yet, but I really feel for their familes - 2 of them, gone at the hands of someone who clearly had some issues.

We had some critical equippment out of action at the Hospital, and a lot of us made a lot of effort to get it ready for these victims, but only 1 of the 3 ever made it that far :(

Police now believe the offender is "unlikely" to have survived the standoff with police and the house fire.

:cry:

I'd quite like confirmation he is "immobilised"/caught before bedtime!

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
This article actually slipped past the editors of that failing newspaper New York Times.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/opinion/why-i-bring-my-gun-to-school.html

Why I Bring My Gun to School

Antonia Okafor
ON CAMPUS
JULY 24, 2017

It was my first year as a public policy graduate student at the University of Texas, Dallas, and I was taking all my classes at night so I could work during the day. Every evening, after class got out around 10, I had to walk through the sprawling parking lots to get to my car. I dreaded that time of day. I would pray that no one was lurking in dimly lit areas or behind cars, and I’d try not to think about the campus police alerts I’d seen about sexual assaults in the area.

I had survived such an assault myself when I was a child. The incident left me acutely aware of the realities of being preyed upon just because you are physically smaller and less likely to protect yourself. I know what it means to feel defenseless.

Now my only means of protection was a rape whistle. I would hold it in one hand and my phone in the other, the numbers 9-1-1 pre-dialed and my finger on the call button. As I neared my car, I would start to jog. It scared me to think that even if I dialed the number and blew the whistle, by the time anyone got to the scene it might be too late. When I got to my car, I’d get in, lock the doors and look behind me to make sure no one was in the back seat.

This was in 2015, around the time the Texas Legislature began debating, and ultimately passing, a so-called campus carry bill. I grew up in a Democratic, immigrant household in a suburb outside of Dallas, where guns and gun policy were never discussed, so I hadn’t paid much attention when similar bills failed in 2011 and 2013. But that year something changed. I was 25 years old, commuting alone, and as a minority woman, I felt particularly vulnerable.

I started fighting for students’ rights to carry concealed weapons for selfish reasons: I wanted to be able to protect myself. But I quickly found a network of women who felt the same way I did, and we began to advocate for our safety together. I eventually became the Southwest director of Students for Concealed Carry, and am now the founder of the self-defense nonprofit Empowered, which will open its first chapter this fall, at the University of North Texas. (I have also appeared in ads for the National Rifle Association, but I am not employed by the organization.)

When I started advocating for concealed carry on campus, I was not a “gun enthusiast” or a member of any Second Amendment organizations. I had only recently been taught to shoot by a concerned local firearms instructor who had heard about a scare I had with a cyberstalker.

But from the minute I put my hands around a Ruger LC9 pistol, the gun I regularly carry with me now, I felt more in control. I felt empowered to be holding a tool that could protect me physically, and I was determined to learn how to use it responsibly. It was a relief to know that I could shoot if I had to, even though I would never use my gun unless it was a last means of self-defense. I got my concealed carry license a year ago.

In addition to Texas, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Mississippi, Oregon, Utah and Wisconsin all now allow students with concealed carry permits to carry guns inside the buildings of college campuses. I have learned that there are a lot of misconceptions about these bills. In Texas, only concealed handgun license holders who are 21 years old or older can carry firearms on campus. The rule applies only to public schools, and those schools can also set aside gun-free zones in whatever locations they choose.

Still, I regularly encounter liberals who fear irresponsible gun use and think that college kids (even if they are 21) can’t be trusted with firearms. I understand that fear is a powerful motivator on both sides of this issue. But I fiercely resent being told that I can’t protect myself according to my rights as an American.

The Justice Department estimates that one in five women are assaulted during college. This number does not surprise me, although plenty of my fellow conservatives take issue with it. I have met so many women through my gun advocacy who felt helpless in the face of sexual assault before they carried a weapon — they felt that no one would listen to them, that they didn’t have any options. It is a huge failing of the conservative movement not to take this seriously. Even if the one out of five statistic is imprecise, isn’t one assaulted woman bad enough?

Female gun ownership isn’t a matter of political affiliation. I’ve met women across the political spectrum who own guns for self-defense or for shooting recreationally. In particular, black women have become a lot more interested in gun ownership and shooting classes.

The rights and values of gun-owning women aren’t being addressed by either political party. While conservatives aren’t paying enough attention to sexual assault, liberals are actively hurting women’s access to self-defense. Many liberals — including many female professors my organization approached as potential sponsors for Empowered — don’t support a woman’s “right to choose” when it comes to her own self-defense. They can’t get behind a vision of female empowerment that doesn’t match their own.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a place for young, pro-Second Amendment women in modern feminism. And there is a place for them on college campuses.

Correction: July 25, 2017
An earlier version of this article misstated an aspect of Texas law allowing people to carry a gun on public college campuses. People who have obtained their gun licenses from certain other states do not have to undergo training with a Texas-certified instructor to carry a firearm on campus. It is not the case that anyone who does so must get training in Texas.

Antonia Okafor is a graduate student at the University of Texas, Dallas.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Three shot, two women dead, house on fire in Whangarei shooting:

Turns out... it's a guy I vaguely knew! Had his number in my phone! Have been to his house :eek:

Unsurprisingly, there's been a call made for tougher gun control... one person making these calls is a "lawyer"...

The gunman had NO gun license and had been declined for one... so all the guns he had were illegal anyway - tougher laws would STILL have been being broken...

Where do we get these "Experts"??? :facepalm:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Did some shootin' last night:

pBn52S5.png

ninethree2cc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=258688
Hi All-

I've used hunting rifles and shotguns since I was a teenager, but I have no experience with handguns. I'm planning to invest in my first handgun for home/family protection and range. I've narrowed it down to a Glock 19 Gen4 or a Springfield XD mod 2. This is strictly a home protection and range weapon- something fairly easy to aim/shoot- No immediate plans to obtain carry license. Once I am comfortable and more skilled I might cross that road..

Anyone have any thoughts on these two firearms? Any additional suggestions?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Anyone have any thoughts on these two firearms? Any additional suggestions?
I'm not a fan of guns that have the emergency brake mounted on the accelerator pedal, and both of them do. ;)

This isn't because I can't keep my booger hook off the bang switch. The scenario that bothers me is re-holstering at the range and having something snag the trigger on the way into the holster. The Springfield is marginally better in that respect due the additional 1911-style grip safety, which should prevent Glock Leg if you make a conscious effort to be sure you've released it before re-holstering. To me, this feels unnatural. So on that basis alone, I'd select the Springfield. But this might be countered by the ubiquity and resultant availability of parts and accessories for the Glock.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
I love my ruger's;
sr9c
lc9s (more of a pocket size/conceal carry)

+1 for SR9c. It was my first 9mm, shoots great at the range (both 25yd and point-and-shoot), has a real safety, and you have your choice of 17rd or compact 10rd magazines.
Then there's also this but unless you're also buying a reloading press and powder/primer/bullets to go with it, a 9mm is going to be way cheaper to practice :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Then there's also this but unless you're also buying a reloading press and powder/primer/bullets to go with it, a 9mm is going to be way cheaper to practice :)
I want one of those!

But a 10mm 1911 is probably less than ideal as someone's first handgun reasons other than just the cost of ammo. ;)

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Meh, most commercial loads are barely 40 S&W levels of power. Remington, S&B and especially Prvi are all very weak.

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
1911's are nice, but big.

I have a para 1911 45cal that I'm 'storing' for my brother, who may never get it back.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
92PYWE6.jpg

Back