Is there a way to run a specific output test when selective tests grayed out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmorrison65

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=229329
2003 Passat W8 6-spd sedan

When I go to engine, output tests, only sequential tests is available.

Is there a way to directly run an output test some other way?

Specifically, I want to run the output tests for the intake and exhaust cam adjusters. (I don't have a problem with them, yet, but I want to "exercise" them once in a while.)

Failing that, how do I find out the order of the sequential tests? Is there any way to skip over a test without starting it? The first two are the evap purge and SAI pump. Do they ever stop on their own? They seemed to keep running as long as I waited. I cycled to some more tests and the purge/sai stopped, but I don't know if that's because they finished or the next test cancelled them. I did see the cam adjusters in there but stopped before cycling through all the tests.

Can any harm be done letting all the tests run just to get to the cam adjuster output tests?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No. Older control modules only support the Sequential method and you have to step through all of the tests in that sequence before the one you want.

In principle, I believe the next test should stop the previous one.

None of this is a limitation in VCDS. It's just the way those modules work.

-Uwe-

wmorrison65

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=229329
Thanks.

You are correct, starting the next test ends the previous one.

I was looking for this as an alternative to "W8 electroshock therapy" (google it, people apply voltage directly to the adjusters to "unstick" them when they're jammed with oil sludge and/or broken down filter screens, but the output test does about the same thing without having to disconnect the plugs.)

For anyone else with a Passat W8 that finds this post because of a problem with cam adjusters, the tests you want are the 4th, 7th, 8th and 9th ones. You can stop the tests after the 9th one if that's all you're after. Here's a list of them I scribbled down as I went through them (so my descriptions might not be 100% accurate.)

EVAP purge valve
SAI N112
SAI relay J299
* Bank 1 intake cam adjuster N205
EVAP leak detection pump
Engine mount solenoids N144/N145
* Bank 2 intake cam adjuster N208
* Bank 1 exhaust cam adjuster N318
* Bank 2 exhaust cam adjuster N319

Coolant fan controller 2
Coolant fan controller 1
Relay aux coolant pump
Fuel injector 1
(next seven are the other fuel injectors)
end

I don't have a problem with my adjusters yet, just wanted to learn how to run the output test for future reference. I did hear them clicking.

Reactions: Uwe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back