Status
Not open for further replies.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
It is 9 degrees outside right now. I guess that the dog days of August are over, because it is most definitely sweater weather on the back deck this morning.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It is 9 degrees outside right now. I guess that the dog days of August are over, because it is most definitely sweater weather on the back deck this morning.....
In another forum, a guy from Oz was complaining that it was 50...

"Wow -- that sounds rather hot, even for Australia!" ;)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
In another forum, a guy from Oz was complaining that it was 50...

"Wow -- that sounds rather hot, even for Australia!" ;)

Uwe: Yes, that's a might-warmish even for down here. This is the extreme temps for the 7 x States.

State Temperature (°C)
SA 50.7 (°C)
WA 50.5 (°C)
NSW 49.7 (°C)
Qld. 49.5 (°C)
Vic. 48.8 (°C)
NT 48.3 (°C)
Tas. 42.2 (°C)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I'm totally baffled, because I thought that you were at the end of winter down there? Melbourne Airport is reporting 5 degrees in their current METAR as I write this, which is nowhere near a heat wave.....

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
vreihen: yes it's brass monkey weather here now - my list was historic (extreme) temp

Don

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Uwe said that another Aussie was complaining that it was 50 degrees, which per your stats is a historic heat wave...in the middle of the southern hemisphere's winter.

Could the person posting in that other forum have done something radical (because he knows that Americans are dumb and only speak one language) and convert his temperature into the old-fashioned Fahrenheit scale so that we would understand it????? :)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^ Please don't take this the wrong way, but Aussies always make allowances for the "odd behaviors" of non-Aussies!!! ;)

Don

PS: And, I would question your assertion that "Americans............only speak one language". My experience from a very enjoyable holiday up there many years ago (my current life-time partner and I took the plane flight that was heading for the Pentagon from Dulles airport 1 week before 9/11 disaster) was that US was replete with many different versions of American English - almost different dialects

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The one language thing came from European citizens, most of which are fluent in 2-3 neighboring languages. I know that the people of a few snobby countries (like cough, Italy, cough) if an American tourist approaches them with a question in English. My baby sister had a problem there, and nobody would as much as give her the right time of day...even though some were wearing English-language t-shirts. When she put her high school Spanish to use, some locals saw her making the effort to try another language and ultimately helped her.

I won't claim to be conversational in another language any more, but I was at least able to get around town in Mexico and even visited a non-tourist pharmacy for ear drops from what's left of my high school Spanish the last time that I was there.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe said that another Aussie was complaining that it was 50 degrees, which per your stats is a historic heat wave...in the middle of the southern hemisphere's winter.

Could the person posting in that other forum have done something radical (because he knows that Americans are dumb and only speak one language) and convert his temperature into the old-fashioned Fahrenheit scale so that we would understand it????? :)
Exactly. This was in a forum where most of the members were Americans, and he converted to F, but did not indicate what units he was using. He was actually complaining how cold it was, so I busted his chops. Always use units when discussing temperatures.

Nonsense like this is why we've steadfastly refused to put unit conversions in VCDS. You wanna tell me your coolant temp is 80? I don't care to guess whether you've got the software set to C or F. It's a German car. It only knows temperatures in C. :p

-Uwe-

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
^^^^^ Instant "F" grade in any physics class that I ever took...all the way back to high school!

If a totally elastic collision occurs on a frictionless surface and somebody forgot to include the units, is the Easter Bunny the only thing that deserves a big 'ol goose egg????? :p

Reactions: Uwe

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The overnight low was 4 degrees here. Fall has definitely been in the air the last few days! I even had the first sighting of The Mighty Dodge's wait-to-start grid heater light yesterday morning.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Eek!!! My TT's instrument cluster is defective...and I'm not talking about the "implausible input" airbag MIL.....

20170927004825-5252f6db.jpg

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Change the Country Coding to Canada, Art. :cool:

-Uwe-

Rembrant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230053
Change the Country Coding to Canada, Art. :cool:

-Uwe-

Or swap in a UK cluster and have the best of both worlds;). Analog speedo in Miles, and everything else in Metric. It would be a good "transition" cluster to help in eventually going full Metric;).

No way am I going to risk the MFA displaying annoying Dingle phrases or calling me a hoser..... :D

You might even find yourself saying "Eh" at the end of sentences...;)

PS: Speaking of going Metric, I recently bought an old truck for a project ('84 F150), and it has an annoying mix of metric and standard fasteners. I'm not sure if it is because it was built in Canada, or if it was just the era in which is was built, but it seems strange. In working on Volkswagens and Japanese stuff for the past 20 years or more, one get's used to looking at a bolt or nut and knowing exactly what wrenches and sockets to grab. You can even eyeball thread size and pitch at a glance. Now, having to change back and forth from Metric to standard I'm making a lot of trips to the toolbox and back (which isn't very far, but it's still annoying).lol.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I woke up this morning to a strange odor throughout the house, sort of like an electrical fire. Walked past the smart thermostat in the living room, and it was reading 19.5 degrees inside with a set temperature of 20 degrees. Yup, the furnace has just kicked on for the first time since probably April! I don't know why the baseboard radiators make that electrical fire smell the first few times the furnace runs every year, but suspect that it is either dust/oxidation burning off of the aluminum fins or else the PEX plumbing lines (speaking of hosers!) ;) outgassing from their first heat up in months.

For those keeping score at home, it is a solid 2 degrees outside right now, and still slowly falling as it is before sunrise. While I doubt that it will break the magic zero freezing barrier, I do think that it could still dip into the 1's in the next 15 minutes or so.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I woke up this morning to a strange odor throughout the house, sort of like an electrical fire. Walked past the smart thermostat in the living room, and it was reading 19.5 degrees inside with a set temperature of 20 degrees. Yup, the furnace has just kicked on for the first time since probably April! I don't know why the baseboard radiators make that electrical fire smell the first few times the furnace runs every year, but suspect that it is either dust/oxidation burning off of the aluminum fins or else the PEX plumbing lines (speaking of hosers!) ;) outgassing from their first heat up in months.

For those keeping score at home, it is a solid 2 degrees outside right now, and still slowly falling as it is before sunrise. While I doubt that it will break the magic zero freezing barrier, I do think that it could still dip into the 1's in the next 15 minutes or so.....
Something doesn't make sense with your terminology. One does not generally have a "furnace" and "radiators". If you have radiators, this implies hydronic heating, and the hot water is supplied by a boiler. ;)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
My terminology considers that a boiler is used in ancient steam heat (boiling water), whereas baseboard heat through radiators comes from a furnace (which shares the name with a hot air thingy). Depending on which specification you believe, PEX is rated for operating temperatures not to exceed 85, 90, or 93C. It also suffers a pressure rating decrease between 82 and 93 degrees. So, it's *not* suitable for use with 100+ degree boiling water...hence being connected to a furnace. :p

We won't go into why my hot water faucet supply comes from a BoilerMate (TM) attached to the hot water furnace..... :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
That link was obviously set up by Russian hackers trying to infiltrate our heating market, funded by the steam heat lobby and backed by the "fake news" media. :D

Oh, and our hot water furnace does heat the basement with hot air..... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back