Status
Not open for further replies.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I keep hearing about Freevalve tech, it seems almost too good to be true. I wonder why we haven't seen much real-world application yet?

Their "direct drive" setup was almost a disappointment in its simplicity. Kept waiting for the magic, never came. Turns out it's just a matter of "if we can roast the tires at 160MPH on dry pavement in 7th gear, why do we need gears 1 through 6?"

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
That's a great idea, however, the longevity of the electronics in the location for vibration and heat, haven't proven to be infallible for endurance.

Additionally when you make things less complex it unfortunately takes away jobs for all those other parts which help drive the world economy.

If you don't have said parts & that require oil to lubricate them........ it is deemed another threat.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I keep hearing about Freevalve tech, it seems almost too good to be true. I wonder why we haven't seen much real-world application yet?
Koeniggsegg were nowhere near the first with running camless engines...

Lotus Engineering had research engines running with a similar technology (no cams, electronically actuated valves) in the early 1990's, but back then car manufacturers were so scared of electronics that they refused to even consider the idea was viable.

Like many of the things we were working on at Lotus in the late 1980's it was ahead of its time (active suspension, active noise control and synthesis, active valvetrain, ...) but 2 of those are now in common usage - and noise synthesis will soon be mandatory for EVs sold in the US following an NHTSA ruling.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The "Freevalve" camless approach has been talked about for decades. Back in college (late 1970s) I wanted to use solenoids to open and close valves (so as to have infinitely and arbitrarily variable valve timing) but more experience people insisted that there was no way to make them able to withstand the conditions in an engine.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Wow, having the exhaust valves act as the wastegate is brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back