Status
Not open for further replies.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I just wanted to let y'all know that we got our hands on one. Here it is a little while ago, on shore power and networked:

7mlRwu2.jpg

This car consumes more juice just sitting there than any we've seen. Shore power is provided via #6 AWG welding cable to the charger that's inside and we're seeing a substantial voltage drop between the charger and the car.

It's only a V8:

Anc0uLc.jpg

But it's pretty slick, with the 4-seat interior and a fair number of bells and whistles:

TdjXT25.jpg

Anyway, Shaun spent most of day tweaking the HEX-NET code into accommodating some of the "unusual" behaviors that a few of the modules in this car exhibit. There should be an update soon.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I just wanted to let y'all know that we got our hands on one. Here it is a little while ago, on shore power and networked:
Nice car... anyone we know? I had asked Josh to PM you but that's not his.

This car consumes more juice just sitting there than any we've seen. Shore power is provided via #6 AWG welding cable to the charger that's inside and we're seeing a substantial voltage drop between the charger and the car.
Welcome to The Machine. Somewhere over on VWVortex there's a pic of Michael's Phaeton parked next to an aircraft he was getting ready to ferry. There was an APU cart nearby. There was lively conversation over which of the two vehicles the APU cart might have been hooked up to. :D

Anyway, Shaun spent most of day tweaking the HEX-NET code into accommodating some of the "unusual" behaviors that a few of the modules in this car exhibit. There should be an update soon.

/me starts pounding on "Check for Update"

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
For the record... after learning to drive stick on a 1986 Jetta this was the first VAG vehicle that made my stecker peck out... :cool:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
This car consumes more juice just sitting there than any we've seen.
Oh and by the way... fire one up in winter if you want to be astonished. 30A+30A dual-stage rear defrost, 30A+30A PTC electric auxiliary heaters under the front seats that come on automatically, and I don't even know the seat heater, mirror heater, washer fluid heater, and wiper park position heater loads. It's willing to run most or all of that without the engine running until intervention load management cries for sweet mercy.

They have a 190A continuous/300A surge alternator, a 92Ah AGM battery that doesn't even have to start the car, and when it's below freezing mine will often wallow around in ILM at idle. I don't even have the big-daddy draw: the 150A rated heated front windshield, which was not available in North America, nor the auxiliary heater that can draw the battery down before you start.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Nice car... anyone we know?
He's a customer of ours but I'm not sure whether he's been on the various forums much.

/me starts pounding on "Check for Update"
I wouldn't expect anything until late tomorrow (Tuesday) at the earliest. We made a lot of progress today, but we're not 100% satisfied yet.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
He's a customer of ours but I'm not sure whether he's been on the various forums much.
Please pass along an invitation to come say hello, if he's so inclined.

I wouldn't expect anything until late tomorrow (Tuesday) at the earliest. We made a lot of progress today, but we're not 100% satisfied yet.
No worries.

In case you didn't already notice, be aware some of the MVB returns on 07/37 are S-L-O-W. It seems to be MVBs that show results of certain internal diagnostic tests; I think it's actually triggering the test upon MVB read and not returning data till the test is done. I'm sure that's the module, not VCDS, but it might be relevant to your work.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Please pass along an invitation to come say hello, if he's so inclined.
Since I didn't make the arrangements to get this car, I didn't have all the details. He has posted on VWvortex as recently as last month, but he's not a prolific poster there. Oh, and he has THREE Phaetons. :cool:

On another note, the guys are at it again this morning:

o6mlDns.jpg

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
He has posted on VWvortex as recently as last month, but he's not a prolific poster there. Oh, and he has THREE Phaetons. :cool:
Well, that narrows it down a bit...

On another note, the guys are at it again this morning:
spittake.jpg

Actual real-life LOL. :o How long is that #6 AWG run??

I spent a lot of ignition-on time in my car building the Climatronic label file and my older Walmart piece of junk charger (2/10/15A settings) could keep up at 10A and make good headway at 15A, so long as I didn't have a bunch of electric heating turned on. I remember because I was experimentally plotting out the intervention load management behavior in MVB 043. However, it was sitting in the trunk so I didn't have a long 12V run. I also have a much nicer CTEK unit now but I'm not sure it can keep up under full accessory load.

Jason

invisiblewave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208767
My CTEK crapped out instantly when I tried to use it during my recent battery swap.

That's a very nice-looking example of the breed. There doesn't even appear to be much bubbling on the cam covers yet, which makes me think the mileage is probably pretty low.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
How long is that #6 AWG run??
Pretty damn long. That's why we're using #6 despite the charger theoretically only being capable of 20A. But we're STILL seeing over two volts of drop between the charger and the car.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That's a very nice-looking example of the breed. There doesn't even appear to be much bubbling on the cam covers yet, which makes me think the mileage is probably pretty low.
It has just under 55k miles.

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
My CTEK crapped out instantly when I tried to use it during my recent battery swap.
I'm not sure which one you have, but you'd need one of their bigger ones to support the Phaeton without its battery. Also, keeping the car powered up with a loose floating positive lug, with all the pushing and pulling you go through to yank that battery out... I'd rather not risk surprise spot-welding activity in that compartment just to avoid two minutes of power-up calibration. Just my opinion.

Jason

PowerDubs

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=38127
Hi guys.

Glad to see Steve was nice enough to loan his car. I would have had mine there, but it is currently still apart for the wood swap and other needed repairs.

Uwe- if there is anything specific to the 2006 W12, I can still bring my car over in a few weeks. I'll need to stretch it's legs anyway.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
How's it going? I see on the Beta forum your team has been hacking on it for three days straight. Did you find more stuff broken? I thought we only needed a couple very small fixes.

I bet you thought the Beta was going to be a little more "mass market" oriented... then TEAM PHAETON showed up. :)

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
CB version 0.4107 and VCDS Beta 14.6.1 are now available. Give 'em a try on your Phaetons please.
7dALNQN.gif

-Uwe-

Robert van Geenen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=352821
And now I'm happily harvesting the fruits of this endeavor. :)

Reactions: Uwe
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back