EGR adaption cayc

NickSE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=510859
Hi,

I have spent a very long time over the past few weeks trying to find the answer for this myself. If it comes up with the search term "egr adaption" etc... on here, tdiclub or youtube, i have probably read or watched it. Yet i cannot confirm my repair is completed with hand on heart and of course i don't want to do it again in a hurry.

So in brief, i want to confirm the valve/cooler is installed correctly with vcds.

Note, the car is running better than ever now.

To quickly summise what has happened, MyGolf 2012 SE bluemotion tech, cayc 1.6 went into limp mode with a p0304 code, I changed the EGR cooler and tried to follow the guide but the basic settings is greyed out. I followed the three codes posted by one of the admins and one or two completed, i can't remember exactley as i was going round and round trying to work out what i must be doing wrong. I've done around a hundred miles and the car is better than it's been in the last three years of ownership (in part to there being one torx missing from the cooler to head pipe and evidence of failed gaskets on the cooler to exaust pipe). I just want to know it is installed correctly software wise, it is installed correctly hardware wise ie New gaskets bolts and torque settings. £17 for the one exaust manifold pipe gasket alone. :-O

Kind regards, Nick

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are you talking about this car?

I changed the EGR cooler and tried to follow the guide but the basic settings is greyed out.
Huh? Can we get a screen-shot please?

-Uwe-

NickSE

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=510859
Are you talking about this car?

Huh? Can we get a screen-shot please?

-Uwe-
Yes, that's one of mine, there are no errors now in the full scan and it's up to 181000 ish

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Adaptation​

Jump to:navigation, search

Most VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda gasoline engines with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)​

Prerequisites (General):
  • Ignition ON
  • Engine OFF
  • Battery voltage: 12.5 V or higher

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]

Select Group 074.
[Go!]
MVB 074.1: Min Position in Volts
MVB 074.2: Max Position in Volts
MVB 074.3: Potentiometer voltage
MVB 074.4: Adaption status: (Run/OK/etc)
[Switch to Basic Settings]
MVB 074.4: Adaption status: (Run) then it should change to (ADP OK)
[Switch to Measuring Blocks]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Special Notes:

• For ECU's using ME 7.5, the coolant temp needs to be between 10 and 50 °C.
  • In case the adaptation fails switch OFF the Ignition for 30 Seconds, then switch it ON and try again.

This is where it was greyed out at [Meas. Blocks - 08].

I
should add, i don't know how to find out if i have ME 7.5 so i tried cold and hot on the following steps. (There were three instructions i can't find at the moment but i have them written out, just not with me now)

Somthing like IDEooooo exaust gas circulation something adaption
IDEooooo EGR something? and one more

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I should add, i don't know how to find out if i have ME 7.5
You do not. ME 7.5 is only used on petrol engines. You have a diesel. ;)

Moreover, your ECU uses the newer UDS protocol, meaning Measuring Blocks is expected to be grayed out, because the protocol doesn't support that function. It does however support Basic Settings. See the product manual, specifically the section "Basic Settings for latest Control Modules using UDS/ODX/ASAM protocols."

-Uwe-

Back