Resolved TDI Question

Resolved

Viccc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=402027
Hi, just want to ask if anyone can explain how does this turbo diagram works cause I'm,currently working on my newly bought car with some engine issue.
2018 VW crafter 2.0 TDI

1.If turbo is #3, what is the thing above the exhaust manifold(on top of the manifold)?
2.What is the point of the port with the upper and lower gaskets w213 #10?
3.What is the purpose of #6 actuator?
4.I assume actuator #5 is for turbo flaps? What is #4?
5. Also, it's not shown in the diagram, but there is an oil banjo bolt going into #7? Whats the point of that?

Screenshot-20240313-192849-Chrome.jpg

SaVAGeSoot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=568688
Please provide login credentials so we can browse to that same diagram you're looking at.

• Haha
Reactions: Uwe

SaVAGeSoot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=568688
2018 VW crafter 2.0 TDI
Insufficient info
1.If turbo is #3, what is the thing above the exhaust manifold(on top of the manifold)?
You're looking at a bi-turbo setup, which is probably not what you have, but you haven't provided enough info to know for sure, so I'm just jumping to conclusions
2.What is the point of the port with the upper and lower gaskets w213 #10?
Unclear to what you're asking, but if I draw some more conclusions, the answer is - it's a connection pipe between the two turbos
3.What is the purpose of #6 actuator?
It controls the vanes in upper turbo
4.I assume actuator #5 is for turbo flaps? What is #4?
Repair kit for #5
5. Also, it's not shown in the diagram, but there is an oil banjo bolt going into #7? Whats the point of that?
No idea... show us a picture.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
You're looking at a bi-turbo setup, which is probably not what you have,
It would not surprise me if he does. I mean if you're going to use a piddling little 2L engine to push a Crafter around, you need all the boost you can get. ;)

-Uwe-

SaVAGeSoot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=568688
It would not surprise me if he does. I mean if you're going to use a piddling little 2L engine to push a Crafter around, you need all the boost you can get. ;)

-Uwe-
I know they were available with both, but I would suspect that if he had duals under his hood, he wouldn't ask what he did.... maybe he can't see the "other" snail.... no clue

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi, just want to ask if anyone can explain how does this turbo diagram works
Perhaps SSP 547 would answer some of your questions?

-Uwe-

Viccc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=402027
This is what I have 100%. I guess it is Bi turbo then?
The banjo bolt is probably a pressure sensor.

I have an issue with exhaust/turbo. When I start the car, it stalls within few seconds. If I disconnect ONLY EGR pipe and let exhaust out, it doesn't stall.
If I disconnect ONLY catalytic converter to let exhaust out - the car still stalls.
If I disconnect ONLY turbo actuator #6 at the top - the car does not stall.
If I remove #8 pipe from diagram - car does not stall although I do have some exhaust coming from the port where the UPPER #10 gasket goes (between #8 and exhaust manifold) which I thought thats why the engine may choke (it wont have exhaust coming out if the actuator is disconnected). But why would you have exhaust coming out of that port?
I don't have a scan now cause the car is not with me now but I will soon. Just wanted to understand what am I looking at... ant ideas what could be causing the ending to stall/choke?

Last edited:

Viccc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=402027
You could be onto something there....
Hey, you don't have to do me like that. What about the rest of the things I've mentioned. You could be more useful than that

SaVAGeSoot

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=568688
You could be more useful than that
I feel like we have already been useful based on the lack on information provided thus far.... let me find my diagnostic dice.... brb

Viccc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=402027
I feel like we have already been useful based on the lack on information provided thus far.... let me find my diagnostic dice.... brb
I'm just breaking balls. I'll upload a full scan over the weekend :))

Viccc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=402027
Okk, so there are no codes stored. There is exhaust coming out after disconnecting #8 on diagram and I hear loud exhaust in the turbo air outlet. If I create an air pathway past #8 so that smoky exhaust doesn't enter the engine - the car runs fine. If I plug it back in while running after few seconds it stalls. So can confirm exhaust is entering the engine and chokes it. The actuator disconnected results in less exhaust coming out and probably is not enough to stall the engine when all pipes connected. Same with disconnecting EGR pipe but not when disconnecting catalytic converter (exhaust reaches it after both turbos).

How does the exhaust make its way into turbo outlet? Also, there is quite some oil coming out aswell and running down the engine when disconnected. Are turbos shot or they could be repaired? Which turbo is more likely to be shot if it is the case?

Can't find any articles similar to my issue.

Viccc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=402027
Solved: it was the 1st turbo that had the turbine separate from the shaft creating a hole in the turbo which leaked exhaust pressure into crankcase and through pcv made it's way back to intake choking the engine. Opening the oil cap or egr pipe released the pressure enough not to choke the engine and let it idle fine. Turbo replaced and everything fixed.

Back